Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that's very simplistic. A lot of the time Gross gets the space he needs to cross because he has Montoya overlapping outside him. The reason he can create so much joy from the half-space is that their full back can't come inside to close him down as he needs to mark Montoya when he overlaps. If Webster plays and doesn't overlap so much then it would reduce the amount of space afforded to Gross

Simples for simplicity. When we play on the wing where the winger is, on the opposite side the advancing full back can fill the role for a sudden switch of play. Advancing backs always leave a gap (with four at the back) but it is a risk worth taking even when after a second goal?

If we play two wingers what is the other winger doing; he could come inside as a second forward, or we could have an extra forward?

The choice is

1) two wingers
2) two wing-backs
3) one winger and an overlapping full-back, leaving a space for a free roaming advanced midfielder Pascal

My maxims:

we can only play on one wing at a time
four players in defence and midfield is enough to cover the width of the pitch
running diagonally across the pitch covers more useful ground for energy expended

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, I love articles/analysis like this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree. The 'pace' argument is done to ****ing death. Bolt has pace but can't play. PG is a sublime footballer with very little outward pace, but he has a wonderful touch and sharp football brain. If he did have Mane or Salah's pace he'd be playing with them at Anfield..

Liverpool were after him in the 2018 summer window. Which ought to say something.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agree. The 'pace' argument is done to ****ing death. Bolt has pace but can't play. PG is a sublime footballer with very little outward pace, but he has a wonderful touch and sharp football brain. If he did have Mane or Salah's pace he'd be playing with them at Anfield..

Pirlo wasn't exactly blessed with pace but he could play a bit. Jan Molby had the mobility of traction engine but bossed the midfield in that great Liverpool side of the 80s. It's not an essential part of being a footballer

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
20 mph = 9 metres per second, fastest players, a mere 15 mph = 7 metres in the same time. a pass four times as quick.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As has been said before I'm sure, if he had pace he'd be at a top 6 side or be the type of player the almost rans break the bank for.

We got an absolute bargain and hope he stays under the radar as much as possible.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As has been said before I'm sure, if he had pace he'd be at a top 6 side or be the type of player the almost rans break the bank for.

We got an absolute bargain and hope he stays under the radar as much as possible.

Sherringham and Berbatov both managed to play for United, despite having less pace the Gross. But both were more talented.

Gross is good, but let's not get carried away.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Best bargain buy since Gary Hart :thumbsup:

What we really need is a song based round “Raumdeuter” (pronounced Rowm-Doy-Ter)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sherringham and Berbatov both managed to play for United, despite having less pace the Gross. But both were more talented.

Gross is good, but let's not get carried away.

Add Cantona to that list.
Gross has been outstanding this season, as he was in his first. I think the injury really sapped him last season.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Pascal Gross has created 148 goalscoring chances in the Premier League, 80 more than any other Brighton player in the competition's history. Indeed, only Eden Hazard (182), Christian Eriksen (178) and Kevin de Bruyne (161) have created more chances in the Premier League than Gross since his debut in the competition in August 2017.

From the BBC.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The thing about Gross that is most impressive is his decision making. From what I've seen he rarely makes a poor decision. Sometimes let down by technique, sometimes pace but from a footballing brain perspective I don't think we've had any better.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Pascal Gross has created 148 goalscoring chances in the Premier League, 80 more than any other Brighton player in the competition's history. Indeed, only Eden Hazard (182), Christian Eriksen (178) and Kevin de Bruyne (161) have created more chances in the Premier League than Gross since his debut in the competition in August 2017.

From the BBC.

Does taking a corner considered creating a chance?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

From the BBC.

Outstanding figures

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I do wonder (as I'm sure most others do as well) if a player who relies on pace can come back after X (2 ?) operations with that same speed.
Stoke aside pretty much all of Jose's game is 'run with the ball, cut in, shoot over the bar, from the edge of the box' - where have we seen that before?
It certainly isn't the one touch, pass and move, run out of space at the by-line we're becoming accustom too.

Utterly wrong as the Stoke goal demonstrated he has always thrived on the quick one touch give and go passing between himself and his supporting players. He will love being in a Potter side. Yes he does do the cut inside and shoot a lot but he has been much more dangerous when his teamates do quick passed back to him. He was blindingly quick if he has lost a little bit of pace it wont be too bad.

Gross had a bad season last year because of his injuries so showing you can recover and get back he is looking himself again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here