Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - the staying up tracker - season 2019-2020 Game 38 UPDATE

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We're on target to have 11pts after 17 games now.

NSC will be fun if that happens.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The interesting thing about this league so far is that more or less everyone has picked up a win. Its super competitive and there are no obvious relegation fodder clubs. Only two clubs without one and they are unlikley not to start picking up results soon. That might change after ten games but I suspect the early pattern will continue. Unlike previous seasons there's not a single team outside of Liverpool and Citie where I don't feel we could get something. Chelsea, Arsenal, Man utd and to a lesser degree Spuds look more vunerable and getting dragged closer to the chasing pack. With early signs that points will get spread around I think it will super tight at the bottom and quite a high total to stay up. Lets hope the 7 points dropped at home so far doesn't come to haunt us.

This year the league is very interesting, no doubt about it. I have heard said that you can have twenty incredibly well-run clubs and three will still get relegated - but usually there is a basket case or two and the odd promoted club that is way before the required standard... but this year may well be the year that a well run decent side goes down. I still have faith in us but I will breathe easier when we get our next win

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The interesting thing about this league so far is that more or less everyone has picked up a win. Its super competitive and there are no obvious relegation fodder clubs. Only two clubs without one and they are unlikley not to start picking up results soon. That might change after ten games but I suspect the early pattern will continue. Unlike previous seasons there's not a single team outside of Liverpool and Citie where I don't feel we could get something. Chelsea, Arsenal, Man utd and to a lesser degree Spuds look more vunerable and getting dragged closer to the chasing pack. With early signs that points will get spread around I think it will super tight at the bottom and quite a high total to stay up. Lets hope the 7 points dropped at home so far doesn't come to haunt us.

I agree with you. Two teams miles clear at the top and 18 others, all inconsistent and all taking points off each other. Crucially no team(s) bombing out and finishing on 25 points. Up to 10 teams still at risk by Easter. Relegation to be decided by narrow margins in the 6 pointers, (hopefully not like on Saturday)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think a looking back over the first games, I feel like we've left 7 points on the table that we'd played well enough to earn. That surely can't continue - if the team can keep the standards high, and as they become even more accustomed to playing the "Potter way", then we should start seeing results come our way.

So ... not worried yet. But we do need to start putting these games that we dominate to bed.

We have not scored more than once in any of our last 15 PL Home games ( 9 goals in total ) and we are winless in our last 8 home games. We clearly lack a cutting edge and continue to miss straightforward chances. We have a midfield that contributes a minimal amount of goals and on Saturday, when we had 5 big men in the side, all decent headers of the ball, we created 3 corners.
As we don't score many goals we need to be as tight as a drum at the back but the new, more positive style does leave us open to the counter attack. Unless we can find more goals from somewhere, I will start to fear for us. Murray, Maupay and Connolly doesn't fill me with enough confidence that we are going to increase our goalscoring.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That tracker is bollocks, no way we 'll go 5 games with no points if it's just Manure, Leicester arse wolves and Liverpool. Ok Liverpool will probably beat us, but everyone else is fair game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Well I hope you are right. This season we have to spring the odd surprise result against the ' bigger boys ' Some teams have done it already ( Norwich, Newcastle etc ). Its no good rolling over in most of these matches. That has to change. In a ' dog eat dog ' division, this is going to be essential to survive.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
We have not scored more than once in any of our last 15 PL Home games ( 9 goals in total ) and we are winless in our last 8 home games. We clearly lack a cutting edge and continue to miss straightforward chances. We have a midfield that contributes a minimal amount of goals and on Saturday, when we had 5 big men in the side, all decent headers of the ball, we created 3 corners.
As we don't score many goals we need to be as tight as a drum at the back but the new, more positive style does leave us open to the counter attack. Unless we can find more goals from somewhere, I will start to fear for us. Murray, Maupay and Connolly doesn't fill me with enough confidence that we are going to increase our goalscoring.

Trossard (when fit) seems to know where the net is. Maupay and Connolly it's too early to say whether they'll be goal scorers at PL level. Maupay's scored twice, helping to win against Watford, and what *should* have been a winner on the weekend.

Absolutely agree that we aren't putting away enough of the chances created, though, but that'll come I think. At least we're actually *creating* chances now. That's not something we were doing on a regular basis for 12 of those 15 home games you mention.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Defensively, we were horrendously vulnerable to the counter-attack under the old system. Almost every goal we conceded at home last year was on the counter-attack, and probably the year before too. We were amazingly well drilled when falling into defensive positions, but terrible at stopping counter-attacks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's also interesting to see that 3 of the bottom 5 were FA Cup semi finallists last year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Defensively, we were horrendously vulnerable to the counter-attack under the old system. Almost every goal we conceded at home last year was on the counter-attack, and probably the year before too. We were amazingly well drilled when falling into defensive positions, but terrible at stopping counter-attacks.

This, especially down our right. Opposing managers always target that flank.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone recon we will be in the bottom 3 after the next weekend’s games?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone recon we will be in the bottom 3 after the next weekend’s games?

It depends on the outcomes of the below:

Aston Villa v West Ham
Crystal Palace v Wolves
Arsenal v Aston Villa

Villa go above us if they win tonight.
Newcastle will go above us if they beat us next Saturday.
Wolves go above us if they beat Palace and we lose (if we draw it would come down to goal difference)

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Never ceases to amaze me how few people get the logic of this tracker. It’s not one man’s predictions - it’s not even predictions really, just a way of using last season’s table to guide which are the more difficult fixtures. Looking at the run of games coming up it’s hard not to agree we should be worried, though I do feel we’re playing better than the results. I make an adjustment in my head to the logic in the tracker based on where I think sides will finish this year. For example, I think West Ham will be top 10 so a point at home is “on track” (I’d have Wolves and Watford as bottom 10 sides this year). Using that logic I have us 3 points down on where we need to be, which seems about right based on failing to beat Burnley and Saints at home who are both poor teams and will finish bottom half for sure.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

That is a pretty grim but realistic assessment.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

No sugar-coating there, Mo! A stark but honest post.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maupay's goal will have given his confidence a boost. Trossard's return will add a much-needed cutting edge. Could do with midfield weighing in with the odd goal, tho that looks far from likely. The cries of SHOOOOTTTT! will largely go unheeded. Which makes for a low scoring season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maupay's goal will have given his confidence a boost. Trossard's return will add a much-needed cutting edge. Could do with midfield weighing in with the odd goal, tho that looks far from likely. The cries of SHOOOOTTTT! will largely go unheeded. Which makes for a low scoring season.

If we stopped the cries of:-

SHOOOOOTTTTT

we could also do away with the follow up:-

WWHHHHYYYY?? ? ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here