Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mouldy: would you care to publish some of your PB times? I for one am intrigued at the progress you are making, but am not sure what at base you are starting. As you are located in a place called 'Out' is there a parkrun you can join or other events you can enter? The extra competitive race environment could push you on (even) further, perhaps?

Not reporting times is against rule 50 for the table. I'd consider deselection but he's not put any records forward anyway.

I won't give up on him. He is a prime candidate for the Weakest Link next year and is doing very well this year.

D

Deleted member 2719

AG targets is the (only) way forward (after 55??)

I

Mouldy: would you care to publish some of your PB times? I for one am intrigued at the progress you are making, but am not sure what at base you are starting. As you are located in a place called 'Out' is there a parkrun you can join or other events you can enter? The extra competitive race environment could push you on (even) further, perhaps?

I only look at my own personal targets really as much as i would like to compete, but you wouldn't race a thoroughbred when you are pony waiting for the knackers yard!

I was a footballer for years and more of a sprinter, especially over 4 yards! but I still seem to be making progress after 20 months and I started running at the age of 53 and no real sport played between 35 and 53 years old due to ACL injury that was never repaired and 2 herniated lower discs.

I have only ever done a handful of parkruns , as I started with my son, as an ambition really, I tend to run solo instead.

So as for pb times, I really am not in your league but I have basically taken off 4 mins from my time a year ago over 5k, which I am more than happy about, but always looking for more.

Ps I also only run on average 5 times a month.

So basically a bit of an amateur really, my brother has run for Sussex and England vets, but he is built more like a long-distance runner.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I

I only look at my own personal targets really as much as i would like to compete, but you wouldn't race a thoroughbred when you are pony waiting for the knackers yard!

I was a footballer for years and more of a sprinter, especially over 4 yards! but I still seem to be making progress after 20 months and I started running at the age of 53 and no real sport played between 35 and 53 years old due to ACL injury that was never repaired and 2 herniated lower discs.

I have only ever done a handful of parkruns , as I started with my son, as an ambition really, I tend to run solo instead.

So as for pb times, I really am not in your league but I have basically taken off 4 mins from my time a year ago over 5k, which I am more than happy about, but always looking for more.

Ps I also only run on average 5 times a month.

So basically a bit of an amateur really, my brother has run for Sussex and England vets, but he is built more like a long-distance runner.

I think there's one or two of us closer to the knacker's yard than you might think...……………..:wave::wave:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I did 5x5 minutes with 90 seconds recovery earlier today, if my maths are right, I did the 5 minutes at 6:30 per pace which was bang on what I wanted.

It also took me to 1,000 miles for the year which is comfortably my record milage in a calendar year, with a third of the year still to go.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A run every day this week for me, including the injection of a bit of pace down two streets on Shoreham Beach. Second place on one of them (first place is a Strava glitch by the look of it) and 7th place overall on the other one. The rest of the run was all over the shop, pace-wise, but the overall mission was to get those quick bits done. Got back and promptly chucked it down, too, which was a bonus.

As an aside, I met my 80-ish neighbour on the way back who I've always admired for his ability to keep going at his age. He still runs six days a week and today told me he used to hold the Brighton Youth record for the mile (4:45). He's gone up further in my estimation now given me something to aspire to...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A run every day this week for me, including the injection of a bit of pace down two streets on Shoreham Beach. Second place on one of them (first place is a Strava glitch by the look of it) and 7th place overall on the other one. The rest of the run was all over the shop, pace-wise, but the overall mission was to get those quick bits done. Got back and promptly chucked it down, too, which was a bonus.

As an aside, I met my 80-ish neighbour on the way back who I've always admired for his ability to keep going at his age. He still runs six days a week and today told me he used to hold the Brighton Youth record for the mile (4:45). He's gone up further in my estimation now given me something to aspire to...

4:45. :ohmy: That's dangerous pace. My quickest I believe is 5:35, which was the first mile of the Preston Park parkrun where I went on to run 18:30. Bit of a collapse from that early pace! Lobbing in a cheeky sub 5 mile would be bonkers for me currently - but you never know what next year will bring...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
4:45. :ohmy: That's dangerous pace. My quickest I believe is 5:35, which was the first mile of the Preston Park parkrun where I went on to run 18:30. Bit of a collapse from that early pace! Lobbing in a cheeky sub 5 mile would be bonkers for me currently - but you never know what next year will bring...

Bonkers, isn't it? Apparently I peaked at 3:16 pace this morning, but that lasted no more than about 10 seconds. And it took me about 200m to recover :lol:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Two really encouraging runs over the last two days ahead of my first 10 mile event on Sunday. Managed 10k yesterday at an average of 5:13/km (my second fastest 10k and definitely my fastest training run) and added a further 7km today at 5:07/km. After a week off last week suffering from man flu I feel like some of the training is finally putting some speed in my legs as I could have pushed myself more but held back with it being race week.

The goal is still a sub 2 hour HM in early October but the way training is going currently I might change that to a 1:52 target depending on how the rest of the month goes. I have an anniversary weekend away in London next week (2 nights without the 4 year old!) so that could be boozy and won't involve much running so will need to work round that!

We'll see, hopefully I'm as positive after Sunday!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two really encouraging runs over the last two days ahead of my first 10 mile event on Sunday. Managed 10k yesterday at an average of 5:13/km (my second fastest 10k and definitely my fastest training run) and added a further 7km today at 5:07/km. After a week off last week suffering from man flu I feel like some of the training is finally putting some speed in my legs as I could have pushed myself more but held back with it being race week.

The goal is still a sub 2 hour HM in early October but the way training is going currently I might change that to a 1:52 target depending on how the rest of the month goes. I have an anniversary weekend away in London next week (2 nights without the 4 year old!) so that could be boozy and won't involve much running so will need to work round that!

We'll see, hopefully I'm as positive after Sunday!

Good stuff, but should be looking at 1.45-50 based on that, not sub 2hr [emoji854][emoji6]

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Good stuff, but should be looking at 1.45-50 based on that, not sub 2hr [emoji854][emoji6]

Haha, just trying to stop getting ahead of myself. I'm just so happy to finally be injury free after the first year of my running career being in constant pain with shin splints/plantar fasciitis. After my debut HM of 2:02 last year 1:50 would be huge for me. Have also entered Brighton full marathon as I had to come home for my first ever Marathon.

On another tangent, is anyone following Matthew Jones on the Strava September distance challenge? He's already completed it having run 302km on the last six days including 70k yesterday with 1371m elevation gain :eek:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks to the stretching advice of the new Jesus I have seen off my knee and ITB problems (for now at least) and managed eleven miles this week already. Of course I now have a touch of man flu but am hoping that won't stop a long run tomorrow morning to get ready for Barns Green.

Talking of Barns Green, is anyone driving from Brighton or somewhere near the mainline railway between Brighton and Three Bridges? Son has a football match in the middle of nowhere at exactly the same time. If not is it relatively easy to get a cab from Horsham station?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am doing the Bacchus HM on Sunday, its a run more about wine than time as its through the Denbies Vineyard near Dorking. Each drinks stops (6 of them) has a different wine available and then you get wine post run (and a hog roast)! Looking forward to it and I have been told that if you don't get a HM PW rather than a PB, then you didn't drink enough wine! A few of our running club doing it so we have a minibus taxi so nobody has to worry about driving! Anyone on here done it before or done a race combining running and drinking??

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks to the stretching advice of the new Jesus I have seen off my knee and ITB problems (for now at least) and managed eleven miles this week already. Of course I now have a touch of man flu but am hoping that won't stop a long run tomorrow morning to get ready for Barns Green.

Talking of Barns Green, is anyone driving from Brighton or somewhere near the mainline railway between Brighton and Three Bridges? Son has a football match in the middle of nowhere at exactly the same time. If not is it relatively easy to get a cab from Horsham station?

I ended up cycling last year, not massively enjoyable. I’ve got a lift going from Patcham, should be space if you still need a lift?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
5k PB smashed this morning. :albion2:

18:15 at Hove Promenade, awaiting official confirmation but no doubt about it, a PB for the first time since 23rd September 2017. I didn't feel too confident about getting a PB going in - I could get myself going in the warm up and felt heavy in the first KM but ran it in 3:29. 2nd KM was 3:40, then 3:42, 3:45 and finally 3:35. In miles, it was 5:44, 5:57, 5:57 and the final 0.1 in 5:12 pace. I'm feeling good for the Christmas Day sub-18 attempt but a lot can happen between now and then... namely the Leicester marathon!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
5k PB smashed this morning. :albion2:

18:15 at Hove Promenade, awaiting official confirmation but no doubt about it, a PB for the first time since 23rd September 2017. I didn't feel too confident about getting a PB going in - I could get myself going in the warm up and felt heavy in the first KM but ran it in 3:29. 2nd KM was 3:40, then 3:42, 3:45 and finally 3:35. In miles, it was 5:44, 5:57, 5:57 and the final 0.1 in 5:12 pace. I'm feeling good for the Christmas Day sub-18 attempt but a lot can happen between now and then... namely the Leicester marathon!

Wow, amazing work! I wouldn't mind a few heavy 3:29 km's! Are you going for sub 3 hour for Leicester? It's a pretty flat course and the start is perfect, gentle/steady downhill for the first 2 miles or so. Only problem is the finish is the other way when it doesn't feel so gentle....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wow, amazing work! I wouldn't mind a few heavy 3:29 km's! Are you going for sub 3 hour for Leicester? It's a pretty flat course and the start is perfect, gentle/steady downhill for the first 2 miles or so. Only problem is the finish is the other way when it doesn't feel so gentle....

The dream is still sub-3 around Leicester but the biggest difficulty I can see is that I'm struggling to pace myself over longer distances. Before Brighton this year (3:10) I was comfortably able to control my pace and running at 8 minutes per mile for a recovery, and then whatever pace for a longer run was comfortable. I have really struggled to get myself into a similar gear this time - so I'm a bit concerned about pacing myself but I should be ok on the day. The finish sounds like a nightmare, in the context of a marathon!

Worthing PR: 21.44 @76.46% and a category win. Not quite up to Ninja's heroics, but just about right for my current form (aka treading water).

Heroics are all a question of context and perspective. :thumbsup: I nudged over the 70% in the AG (71.23%) and the 18:15 is confirmed on the parkrun website. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] with work to do before the end of the season!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Heroics are all a question of context and perspective. :thumbsup: I nudged over the 70% in the AG (71.23%) and the 18:15 is confirmed on the parkrun website. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] with work to do before the end of the season!

That's not a nudge it's a big leap into the unknown. A whopping 1.23%. Great runnning today. I'll happily post that up in the table but it wll be my last work for 2 months. I'm heading South and not touching that table on my phone,.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here