Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Fish n chips

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They're all utter shithouse compared to up here. Hope that helps.

Dripping and scraps and always haddock :drool:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Welcome House on Kingston Broadway in Shoreham (just down from Tescos and Marks and Sparks) used to do the best fish and chips I'd ever tasted, a bit of a wait but always fresh.

But think it might have closed down

Yep, closed down about five years ago. Bizarrely, everything is pretty much exactly as it was and I think some family members still live in the flat upstairs.

[MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION], I know it's in the wrong direction – and more than 10 miles from Lewes – but the Chipwick in Worthing is ACE. Queues outside the door a lot of the time and people come from miles (more than 10!) around for a meal there. Tables inside.

Oops – just realised this thread is nearly a year old :ffsparr: Still good F&S, though.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Yep, closed down about five years ago. Bizarrely, everything is pretty much exactly as it was and I think some family members still live in the flat upstairs.

[MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION], I know it's in the wrong direction – and more than 10 miles from Lewes – but the Chipwick in Worthing is ACE. Queues outside the door a lot of the time and people come from miles (more than 10!) around for a meal there. Tables inside.

Oops – just realised this thread is nearly a year old :ffsparr: Still good F&S, though.

Had a sit down meal there in January using the place for first time. Couldn't fault it. Very generous with the huss after I'd asked for large and the waitress explained there were only medium. I took that and they gave me two huge huss which I would have called large.

I went back for a takeaway and was very disappointed. The chips were pretty dry and to me inedible.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They're all utter shithouse compared to up here. Hope that helps.

Dripping and scraps and always haddock :drool:

How would that help unless we were considering upping sticks and moving north?

Then again, maybe the promise of really excellent fish and chips is a good reason for doing just that, (unless you prefer cod over haddock of course).

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
For perfect fish and chips in a beautiful location, The Lime Crab in New Quay, Wales is fantastic. Surprised it's not in the top 20.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I grew up in the "Haddock Triangle" of West Yorkshire, incidentally also within the "Rhubarb Triangle"...

(I am, of course, thus Dirty Leeds and a JCL)

I never knew it was called the haddock triangle! Great stuff.

We have about 10 fish and chip shops within a mile of our house, it's crazy.

Top 20 fish and chip shops in the UK listed in the 2020 awards - haven't heard of any of them

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/uk-top-fish-chip-shops-135807471.html

What do they know? They've even moved Milton Keynes to Hertfordshire.

Yep, and as with a lot of these things they have to apply to be considered.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Cannot wait to be back in a couple of weeks and get some PROPER cod and chips. We get flake (whatever that is), gummy shark, flathead and others. I do know of one plaice that gets Atlantic Cod but they cannot fry it like a British chippy.

Also cannot wait to get proper pork pies again!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Hopefully just their summer holiday.......please

Just to put your mind at rest I changed buses in Blatchington Rd yesterday evening and walked over to Ramsbottoms. They were open and I sat outside eating the jumbo battered sausage and chips. It was just cooked and hot and delicious.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just to put your mind at rest I changed buses in Blatchington Rd yesterday evening and walked over to Ramsbottoms. They were open and I sat outside eating the jumbo battered sausage and chips. It was just cooked and hot and delicious.
So was the lady serving!! I may have walked past you. Popped in for a takeaway cod and chips on my way to the cricket.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes I noticed her as well. She's very attractive and quite chatty. It was around six o'clock that I was there.

So now the truth is coming out I can confess that this was one of my concerns!!

Jul 7, 2003
I went back for a takeaway and was very disappointed. The chips were pretty dry and to me inedible.

Chipwick used to be great but trades on past reputation. For the last few years the chips have been dry and tasteless. They are okay for the first minute when fresh out of the fryer but soon lose their flavour.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
I never knew it was called the haddock triangle! Great stuff.

We have about 10 fish and chip shops within a mile of our house, it's crazy.

Correct. The top 20 are also some of the biggest customers of the seafood company that runs this competition.

My friends is in the top 20, mikes in bishopstoke, Eastleigh.

Yep, and as with a lot of these things they have to apply to be considered

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Going to Cornwall today for the first time in about 12 years and if my memory serves me well we always had good fish and chips down there., so very hopeful.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Going to Cornwall today for the first time in about 12 years and if my memory serves me well we always had good fish and chips down there., so very hopeful.

It may seem like expensive nonsense, but Rick Stein's chippy (eat in and takeaway) in Padstow has always been very good when I've visited.

The chippy in Polzeath is awful - avoid. Delabole one much better.

Of course you may be going to a completely different part of Cornwall...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It may seem like expensive nonsense, but Rick Stein's chippy (eat in and takeaway) in Padstow has always been very good when I've visited.

The chippy in Polzeath is awful - avoid. Delabole one much better.

Of course you may be going to a completely different part of Cornwall...

Indeed, l have no idea what part of the county BG is headed for, but l visit a very good one in Lostwithiel when l stay at a friend's nearby lodge from time to time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here