Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
WTF was up with him today? Two golden opportunities fluffed. He's the last player I would have thought could do that, twice in how many minutes? :shrug:

Why is he the last player you’d think would do that?! How many times have you seen him play?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They were bad misses, I was surprised after the composure he showed for last week's goal. All strikers have days like that but at least he was in the right place to miss them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They were bad misses, I was surprised after the composure he showed for last week's goal. All strikers have days like that but at least he was in the right place to miss them.

All of the above.

The one on one towards the end, he just never knew what he was going to do.

Perhaps bit of an Andy Cole 6 chances 1 goal style stat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Some of you are a bit harsh for a 1st Home appearance in front of 30,000 people.
I like the fact that he was there to miss the chances. As it were.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of you are a bit harsh for a 1st Home appearance in front of 30,000 people.

The penalty spot miss ought to have gone in from muscle memory alone.
It's the sort of goal he'll be about to score when he's 70.

That said I thought he looked great and against that West Ham defense he'd have got 2 or 3 had he arrived with us earlier in pre-season.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
All of the above.

The one on one towards the end, he just never knew what he was going to do.

Perhaps bit of an Andy Cole 6 chances 1 goal style stat.

That said I thought he looked great and against that West Ham defense he'd have got 2 or 3 had he arrived with us earlier in pre-season.

I got the feeling he half thought he was offside, hesitated a fraction, and the moment was gone.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I got the feeling he half thought he was offside, hesitated a fraction, and the moment was gone.

That’s fair comment as well, but given the complete feck up with the rules, you’re almost better off putting it in the net and worrying about it later......

interesting that no one is saying the same about Trossard. He fluffed a much easier chance before his goal but because of that goal no one is mentioning it. I think if we had won no one would have mentioned it either.
No, that was just one fluffed shot in 85 minutes but Maupay had two in a 25 minute appearance. I accept your last sentence though - I was only on here soon after the match because I was so annoyed his misses had effectively cost us a win.

Why is he the last player you’d think would do that?! How many times have you seen him play?
Because I thought we had shelled out 20 million pounds primarily for his finishing ability. And I've seen the video of his goals for Brentford.
However as has been said, all strikers have their off days and it's just unfortunate that his was on his Amex debut. I'm totally confident he will more than make up for it in the games to come and, if GP picks him, we'll see the 'Real Neal' against Southampton.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
In an article in the Argus today, reporter Mike Legg states "...and the £16 million summer signing from Brentford..."

That is the lowest figure I have seen reported for the deal.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I was only on here soon after the match because I was so annoyed his misses had effectively cost us a win.

Not the Burn header miss, or the weak Pröpper header or the dozens of chances other players didn't create by not even being in the right place at all? Seems odd to single out his misses as costing us the game.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Potters track record has lots of examples of inconsistent players finding regular good form under his management, he tries to make sure players do not dwell on their mistakes, and focus on the positives instead to keep confidence high, but even the legends miss a sitter now and then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z21tkwe7Rkc

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not the Burn header miss, or the weak Pröpper header or the dozens of chances other players didn't create by not even being in the right place at all? Seems odd to single out his misses as costing us the game.

Didn’t help though, nor did Burn’s, Propper or Murray’s misses.

Or Burn playing West Ham onside.

I guess given his excellent finish at Watford the bar has been set. Personally, think he might be a 1 in 6 chances type of player....

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

I guess given his excellent finish at Watford the bar has been set. Personally, think he might be a 1 in 6 chances type of player....

True. It didn't help. I like the look of him. He's always on the front foot, he asserts and makes things happen. I imagine others around him like playing with him because he makes himself available and creates spaces in defence for them. I suspect he dwells a bit on the misses. If GPs "football is a game of mistakes" lands with him, he could have a golden season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
True. It didn't help. I like the look of him. He's always on the front foot, he asserts and makes things happen. I imagine others around him like playing with him because he makes himself available and creates spaces in defence for them. I suspect he dwells a bit on the misses. If GPs "football is a game of mistakes" lands with him, he could have a golden season.

Yes, he has a dynamic look about him, arguably more so than some of our previous signings.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Flipping heck. High expectations if we’re expecting every chance like that to be converted. Looking forward to several 7 or 8 goals wins [emoji106]

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think his big chance would have been ruled out ... been thinking this since saturday, looks like murray's shoulder is offside.

Picture 1.png

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Both Burn’s and Murray’s headers were offside so they didn’t cost us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Flipping heck. High expectations if we’re expecting every chance like that to be converted. Looking forward to several 7 or 8 goals wins [emoji106]

Hang on, that's not quite what I'm saying is it?

But a drag back from the by-line to an already well positioned striker, on the penalty spot, with the ball arriving on the half volley has to be day 1 lesson 1 in striker school.

I'd wager 9p Maupay is more likely to score that goal when he's 70 than I was when I was 23.

His last goal was a harder chance to convert.
I'll wager a further 4p his next goal will be harder to convert.

So it's hardly high expectation levels to expect him to score (or at the very least get it on target) his equivalent of a tap in.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
In an article in the Argus today, reporter Mike Legg states "...and the £16 million summer signing from Brentford..."

That is the lowest figure I have seen reported for the deal.

Maybe £16 Million is the pre - add ons price? (I don't know).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here