Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Im sure everyone can remember some good moments at Withdean, but Im glad to see us gone from the place, sorry, no rose tinted glasses here, the place was a dive and all of you know it.

Seems weird though after all that's happened since we've been at the Amex, you forget what this club once was, those relegation battles in league 1, those moments when we were promoted (or winning playoffs) to get into the Championship, it truly was a special era, very few teams can share an experience quite like ours, and for what it's worth, it's made us a stronger team in the long run. Even if we don't get to Wembley today, considering all we've been through, this is easy. We're proof of what passion and loyalty can achieve for a club when everything else runs out. If it weren't for those 7-8,00 or so fans who sat in the freezing rain every week, we wouldn't have been here today.

As far as silverware goes, it was our most successful place. Four trophies in 12 years.

Old Varndeanians now play there and have just won southern counties division 2! The silverware keeps coming!

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 451
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 447
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 450
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 448

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I always remember the residents there coming out to wave us off on the last day, and it looks like they haven't forgotten us.

Seemed like such a difference from having to deal with planning objections and stunts from other elderly residents in the area.

That last match summed up what the rare good weather games could be like - including actually losing as was so regular!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I still clearly remember the first game there after the exile at Gillingham, how good was that?. We did have some great days there, I can't say I miss it but it is a big part of our DNA.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I can remember booking there when it was a zoo

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I miss it. I miss it so so much. I would probably give up everything we have as a club just to be back in the South Stand for a game. We had some amazing days there and I (and sure others) felt much more part of the club then. It was OURS.

By no means is this a criticism of the way the club is now, just a case that when there were 5-6,000 there its much easier to think something is yours than having 30,000.

It was also easier for me to get to from Reading!

Spot on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can remember booking there when it was a zoo

I may be making this up but wasn't it used as a tennis centre for the Olympics back in the early 20th century? Or maybe Davis Cup tennis?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I miss it. I miss it so so much. I would probably give up everything we have as a club just to be back in the South Stand for a game. We had some amazing days there and I (and sure others) felt much more part of the club then. It was OURS.

By no means is this a criticism of the way the club is now, just a case that when there were 5-6,000 there its much easier to think something is yours than having 30,000.

It was also easier for me to get to from Reading!

I get what you mean.

I went to a game at Adams Park couple of weeks ago, Brighton were not playing so I went to watch Wycombe v Accrington. That had a the similar feel to going to Withdean, Small stadium, genuine fans, league two football, trees all around it, even a couple of ex Brighton players. Enjoyed it. So if you a looking for a Withdean style fix and Brighton are not playing, it is only 35 mins from Reading. Obviously it not the same being a neutral, it's more relaxing

Saying all that I am really looking forward to Friday, taking my seat in WSU, meeting up with my friends, singing sussex by the sea, and seeing our boys put in a massive effort against Manchester United.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm one of those annoying people who constantly droned on about "not being that bothered about the Premier League" and happy to think of the Championship as the pinnacle of Brighton's ambitions. But now we're there I dread the idea of relegation.

However, I do think there's a lot to be said for small grounds, and small, passionate crowds. Non-league football ticks that box for me and I would happily go and watch Lewes, Eastbourne Borough or other local sides if for some reason I couldn't get to Brighton games any more. Maybe even Crawley, if I was a bit closer. It's a different football experience – in some ways better, in many ways worse – but something all fans should experience from time to time.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I get what you mean.

I went to a game at Adams Park couple of weeks ago, Brighton were not playing so I went to watch Wycombe v Accrington. That had a the similar feel to going to Withdean, Small stadium, genuine fans, league two football, trees all around it, even a couple of ex Brighton players. Enjoyed it. So if you a looking for a Withdean style fix and Brighton are not playing, it is only 35 mins from Reading. Obviously it not the same being a neutral, it's more relaxing

Saying all that I am really looking forward to Friday, taking my seat in WSU, meeting up with my friends, singing sussex by the sea, and seeing our boys put in a massive effort against Manchester United.

Good shout. i work over in Marlow so have been invited to a couple of Wycombe matches with colleagues. I am at the AMEX on Friday night so may take in their home game on Saturday i the wife will let me off the childcare for the day

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Good shout. i work over in Marlow so have been invited to a couple of Wycombe matches with colleagues. I am at the AMEX on Friday night so may take in their home game on Saturday i the wife will let me off the childcare for the day

Should be really good if you can. They just sealed their promotion back to league one in their last away game, so should have a party atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here