Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] New face of the Bank of England's £50 note is Alan Turing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh do piss off, I probably know more history and the nuisances of the subject matter than you can only dream of. You’re judging by today’s standards, not the time. In this particular example, it was way after he died, he left no descendent even and moreover doesn’t change anything. It’s extreme revisionism that’s all and probably best left to the dons and experts who tend to take my view for what it’s worth. Otherwise we get into Egypt apologising to Israel for getting their shoes a bit muddy and the like.

If that is how you start a discussion, I'm fairly certain you don't, and definitely not something I would dream of. No one with any real intellectual depth makes statements like you've made on this thread.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
None of the above, just read more history and debates about than your average joe. So I’ve thought about it more. Informed myself more. I’m not even taking about Turing really, I’ve widened the context. Pardoning the dead because of what we see as injustice at the time is a fools errand. Trouble is people like you get so emotional over figures like Turing and perceived injustice and I bet you’ve done little more than read the BBCs latest news article on or at best, watched the Imitation Game? No wonder you don’t understand the context of time and get all excited by someone like me who think it’s all a bit late. And therefore pointless. Moreover, lack the wit to see this isn’t insulting to Turing.

......................................or even got a Masters Degree in Biotechnology ....and spent 10 years proof reading abstracts for genetics and biotech papers.....

anyway

fair enough.

who would you have?

They wanted a scientist...

Would Rosalind Franklin be pandering to feminists?

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You cannot escape that this great man rather than being a national hero and held in the highest esteem was actually criminalised and ostracised because of his sexuality that ultimately led to his early death at 41.

People respect him for his mind and his deeds, or course they do, but you cannot separate that in abstract from what he experienced after the war because of his sexuality. This is a tragic tragic story of a genius we lost far too early because of how society treated him.

Save us the sanctimony please, this is such a millennial thing to do going about ‘correcting’ everything in the past that we don’t agree with through todays prism. The war generation neither honoured him or even knew about him. In fact, only a tiny number of people did. Anyway, I think Turing is an excellent choice and more a representative of a much bigger group who collectively made a huge contribution they neither sought or wanted recognition for.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If that is how you start a discussion, I'm fairly certain you don't, and definitely not something I would dream of. No one with any real intellectual depth makes statements like you've made on this thread.

They do if it’s a footy chatsite on an iPhone and often as not from the bog. I’m down the pub not doing a ted talk from Ox.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Save us the sanctimony please, this is such a millennial thing to do going about ‘correcting’ everything in the past that we don’t agree with through todays prism. The war generation neither honoured him or even knew about him. In fact, only a tiny number of people did. Anyway, I think Turing is an excellent choice and more a representative of a much bigger group who collectively made a huge contribution they neither sought or wanted recognition for.

...........I entirely agree with your last sentence.

actually, the last 3

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I doubt his family think it was an utter waste of time. I doubt the gay community do. It's better late than never at all. It at least sends a message that we were wrong. As does putting him on the bank note.

You do know his immediate family didn’t even talk about him after his death because of the associated shame. And ‘we’ weren’t wrong because ‘we’ weren’t alive then. Oh, and he’s on the fifty note because of his achievements as a brilliant mathematician not because he was gay.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
You cannot escape that this great man rather than being a national hero and held in the highest esteem was actually criminalised and ostracised because of his sexuality that ultimately led to his early death at 41.

People respect him for his mind and his deeds, or course they do, but you cannot separate that in abstract from what he experienced after the war because of his sexuality. This is a tragic tragic story of a genius we lost far too early because of how society treated him.

Yes I can and I do. Hijacking the narrative to promote a cause is abhorrent!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

And.....The irony is that he is of course deserving of veneration for the code breaking alone. The shame (I mean the nation's shame) for his treatment simply adds a little seasoning to the dish.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Tell it to The Bank of England:

“He set the foundations for work on artificial intelligence by considering the question of whether machines could think,” the Bank said. “Turing was homosexual and was posthumously pardoned by the Queen, having been convicted of gross indecency for his relationship with a man. His legacy continues to have an impact on both science and society today.”

An auditory for you modern snowflakes. This is about his efforts defeating Hitler, nazi germany! He was NOT chosen because of the atrocious legal treatment AFTER the war.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sanctimony, it's not santimony, it's outright derision at the way you're putting your point across and your self proclaimed expertise and knowledge on the matter - without ever offering any reasoning, just hostility and superiority.

Turing for me isn't really about the pardon, which seems to be your bug bare - the notion of pardoning, which is another discussion altogether. The UK government had to take a view on how to celebrate his genius, especially with the release of his papers in 2012 after the expiry of the official secrets act on the documents. So how do you celebrate and revere a historical figure with a criminal record and a great wrong against him? Just ignore it, or deal with it? The government chose to deal with it, but that being a waste of time is really a matter of debate an opinion, not a clear cut answer like you are so aggressively suggesting.

No one really knew what he had done or who he was until 25 years after his death, and even then not until much later. I'll be honest, I first came across him in Neal Stephenson's fiction, especially Cryptonomicon, and the interest grew from there.

I don't actually have the aggressive opinon on the pardon as you do, just an interest in the man and his achievements and his ultimately tragic life. You classified it as the radical left or right, but really, you're the only one getting massively upset about it on here.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
..................the whole pardoning thing still doesn't excuse the rest of Chris Grayling's parliamentary career.....

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
..................the whole pardoning thing still doesn't excuse the rest of Chris Grayling's parliamentary career.....

Chris Grayling, the man pictured for the media as Justice bod bemoaning the sending in of 'shivs' inside trainers sent to inmates. Trouble was the picture featured a prison issue trainer. Could NOT have been sent from the outside. This was during his 'clamp down' on inmate parcels. The man is a big C

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Turing was a great Briton and it is entirely fitting he should appear on the £50 note. The more people that become aware of him and his achievements the better.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Chris Grayling, the man pictured for the media as Justice bod bemoaning the sending in of 'shivs' inside trainers. Trouble was the picture featured a prison issue trainer. Could NOT have been sent from the outside. This was during his 'clamp down' on inmate parcels. The man is a big C

.............I can only assume he has some pictures of people that I do not want to see.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I knew someone was going to try that. Have a prize son!

Since you have been pissing all over this thread, I thought I'd unblock you momentarily to see if....

No. As you were.

I think I blocked you for being right wing gammon. Now I can add 'homophobic broflake' to my list of reasons. Oh, I don't have a list of reasons. Anyway....tara again. :facepalm:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Turing was a great Briton and it is entirely fitting he should appear on the £50 note. The more people that become aware of him and his achievements the better.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

....and with that ...

I'm going to bed to listen to space podcasts

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
What is your agenda Bold boy? Are you celebrating him for his intelligence and genius? Or his preference for chite shoot? Sorry to be so blunt but I want you to answer. Is it about his achievement or his sexuality? I might have read you wrong but I want other potential posters to be aware this is NOT about sexuality! He was chosen for achievement.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here