Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think they said on the commentary that on the computer generated ball trajectory prediction that 50+% of the ball has to connect with 50+% of the width of the stump.

It looked like about 48% of the ball.

I missed that bit, was that really the reason? I find that wrong personally, if the ball is going to hit the wicket and it is impeded by a pad, that is out to me, inline or not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I missed that bit, was that really the reason? I find that wrong personally, if the ball is going to hit the wicket and it is impeded by a pad, that is out to me, inline or not.
It allows for a margin of error in the computer generation ( doubt ).

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Just one question if someone can answer, why was Jason Roy not out LBW first ball? I'm still not quite sure.

He should have been given out, pure and simple, but because the ball wasn't hitting a stump full on he gets the benefit of the umpires mistake. If the umpire had given the exact same delivery as out, and Roy appealed, he still would have been out. One of crickets peculiarities, and on such decisions, games can rest.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Astonishing game. I'm struggling to think of something with so many twists and turns at that level. 1979 cup final comes to mind.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
No, it’s what VAR needs to become - it went back to the umpires original decision because it was not obviously incorrect.
Exactly. DRS works. Especially now the review isn't lost for umpire's call.

VAR in football has a long way to go. It's taken many years and lots of refining rules/advances in technology to get it right in cricket, and it's still not perfect.

Unfortunately football seems to have gone balls deep on a totally imperfect system.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was always the first two weeks in August, in fact cricket starting in April has encroached on football. However on a nice warm Sunday when we are being crowned world champions I have no arguments.

Not always. Since the 40s and 50s it has crept forward by a couple of weeks.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's not out if that's the decision the umpire has given. The umpire's decision will only be overturned if the video evidence is clear and obvious that he's got it wrong; there is a margin of error allowed for in the computer generation, so if it's marginal, the umpire's decision stands.

If only football used VAR so sensibly! Perhaps one day they will ...................... we can always hope.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's not out if that's the decision the umpire has given. The umpire's decision will only be overturned if the video evidence is clear and obvious that he's got it wrong; there is a margin of error allowed for in the computer generation, so if it's marginal, the umpire's decision stands.

If only football used VAR so sensibly! Perhaps one day they will ...................... we can always hope.

Roy looked plum to me.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Ridiculous rule, should have just played another Super Over. In the history of sport never has & will a team ever lose by a closer margin, and be as undeserving to miss out.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
[MENTION=659]fleet[/MENTION], when you get home, memorable day?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ridiculous rule, should have just played another Super Over. In the history of sport never has & will a team ever lose by a closer margin, and be as undeserving to miss out.

And if it had gone the other way?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never heard of football cup ties being decided by the toss of a coin? Or the bloody 'golden goal' fiascos?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here