Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
When I first joined sometime before 2000 WATFORD O was a regular poster (****) on here before he was banned. So I set up an account called WATFORD 0 and spent a few weeks posting to much jollity, while WATFORD O accused everyone of stealing his login and password etc. After a few weeks, I got bored with winding up WATFORD O and got a mod to change it to WATFORD zero and have posted under this name ever since.

You may be right about Portslade Seagull being mistaken, but I think that my first assumption that he was as thick as two short planks is probably more accurate.

The one thing I think I can say without fear of contradiction though, is that Easthill yoof club pissed all over Courthope :thumbsup:

I was born and raised in Southwick about 100 yards from the recognised West / East Sussex county border line, ( cinder path ) I spent many a happy Thursday evening at Courthope youth club but don't have any recollection of the Easthill club? Mind you in those days a "stranger youth " strolling past Easthill park would summon the wrath of the local lads :eek: but those Thursdays in the company of "the luscious Swanny" or the delectable "Ms Hills " etc. halcyon days. Especially the occasional visit by the local "Rocker" master Hamlin, riding through the club car park on his greasy bike wearing a German helmet as crash protection, "those were the days" met him a few years later and his reputation was quite unfounded as he seemed a very nice chap once grown up!
Happy carefree days eh ? Pre common market,

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I think there was genuine scope for a compromise Brexit, however I lay the blame for it squarely at the feet of Cameron buggering off and May and her Government seemingly refusing to try and find one, instead opting to negotiate as the Conservative party rather than as the entire UK political system coming together (as should have happened), thus making it a party political issue. There would always be an entrenched few on either side but a lot more people had their positions hardened by the fringes because of the lack of a central, compromise position (e.g. Norway, which translates as "Out, but only just Out", which I maintain is still the most accurate interpretation of the result you will find). Many Leave voters claimed Norway was "a betrayal put forward by traitors which isn't Brexit", and many Remain voters claimed Norway was "ridiculous sop to the racists and morons".

Basically at the moment Britain needed to be led by grown-ups we ended up being dictated to by a bunch of children.

A magnificent summing up A1X, exactly what should have been and explaining how most remainers would have compromised to reflect the very narrow " exit the EU " result, it's so strange how leave voters, well, the hard line on here and in Parliament, have seized their very narrow "win" and will now not accept any compromise short of completely out and nothing or no one will stand in the way of their complete annihilation of our membership and anyone who suggests such a thing is an undemocratic loon and now according to some of their number " watch for the fireworks" which I take as threats of violence and maybe riots in the streets and we are the undemocratic loons ! Still the football season starts in a month or so, maybe that'll calm things down a little ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The two are intertwined, the manifesto states they intend to Leave with a withdrawal agreement in place, and the manifesto states if that agreement is deemed to be shit then leave the EU without a shitty agreement in place. No where does it state we should leave with a shitty agreement.
Parliament currently considers the agreement to be crap. Not sure what is so difficult to understand about all of this.

I fully agree.

The manifesto quite explicitly and clearly in black and white commits us to leave the EU smoothly and orderly with a deal. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Jan 30, 2008
I fully agree.

The manifesto quite explicitly and clearly in black and white commits us to leave the EU smoothly and orderly with a deal. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

I didn't vote for a deal , we will leave the EU No second referendum no pressure groups the choice is yours , the decision will be final , you need to stop clutching at straws
regards
DR

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Two programmes on TV last night. Not sure which of them was more depressing to a Tory loathing Remainer like me.

1. Dispatches - showed some evidence of far-right entryism//links to the party. Almost made me yearn for the days of 'one nation Conservatism'.

2. Panorama - the no-deal Brexit scenario. The idiot from 'Spoons featured (of course? who else have they got?) saying it would be great - mainly because he can now source his wheat-beer form the UK and not Germany. So no problems then. A farmer from N. Ireland staring at a complete collapse of his business but not really aware that his vote to Leave might have contributed in some small way. A fisherman from Brixham loves the 200 mile exclusion zone (which might well be on the table if ever we get back to it). Anyone sensible was rather more pessimistic.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tonight the 'debate' between Hunt and Johnson. Totally pointless given that most Tories have already voted (possibly twice) but worth watching just in case the latter cocks-up. But such is the love affair between him and the Tory grass-roots, it wouldn't matter if he dropped his trousers and swore allegiance to the Islamic State.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was born and raised in Southwick about 100 yards from the recognised West / East Sussex county border line, ( cinder path ) I spent many a happy Thursday evening at Courthope youth club but don't have any recollection of the Easthill club? Mind you in those days a "stranger youth " strolling past Easthill park would summon the wrath of the local lads :eek: but those Thursdays in the company of "the luscious Swanny" or the delectable "Ms Hills " etc. halcyon days. Especially the occasional visit by the local "Rocker" master Hamlin, riding through the club car park on his greasy bike wearing a German helmet as crash protection, "those were the days" met him a few years later and his reputation was quite unfounded as he seemed a very nice chap once grown up!
Happy carefree days eh ? Pre common market,

Rather off-topic (so apologies) but your contribution has reminded me of the very early 70s in Worthing when - hanging around the Sydney Walter Centre - every now and then there'd be the cry that the 'Southwick Skins' were en route (this was not the precise term used). This always provoked a rather intense panic although I don't think they ever actually arrived.

Jan 30, 2008
Not possible. Nobody has elaborated what a deal (even a shit deal) will look like. It cannot be done and it won't be done.

I agree with your other comments about the nation being split. But I don't agree it was whiney remainers that cause the problem. Unless you subscribe to the idea that 'remainer' May sabotaged Brexit.

The triumphalism of some remainers after the vote was as unpleasant as the cry baby emoting of some remainers was embarrassing. Both are, however, irrelevant.

If Boris knows how to leave why doesn't he tell us how? Is it a.......secret? ??? He's such a naughty boy.
Coming from a whiney remainer , you need a hug H
regards
DR

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A magnificent summing up A1X, exactly what should have been and explaining how most remainers would have compromised to reflect the very narrow " exit the EU " result, it's so strange how leave voters, well, the hard line on here and in Parliament, have seized their very narrow "win" and will now not accept any compromise short of completely out and nothing or no one will stand in the way of their complete annihilation of our membership and anyone who suggests such a thing is an undemocratic loon and now according to some of their number " watch for the fireworks" which I take as threats of violence and maybe riots in the streets and we are the undemocratic loons ! Still the football season starts in a month or so, maybe that'll calm things down a little ?

What do you expect?
They are thick and have the mindset of a 5 year old.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good on them , they could see what was going on and weren't prepared to accept it and then she got removed from office

Strictly speaking she actually won the vote of confidence arranged by the 1922 Committee.

Correct. She is still the Prime Minister now, albeit standing down, later. She didn't get removed from office by any stretch of the imagination.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You see this encapsulates my single biggest fear about Brexit. The process of leaving the EU itself is a really bad idea (in my opinion) but ultimately not something which would be a fully mortal blow to democracy. However, this to me doesn't seem especially far-fetched, and it's genuinely terrifying;

This certainly wasn't what Brexiters were voting for in 2016, because this goes way, way beyond it. It's the subversion of democracy in the name of "the people". Anyone who has used the phrase "will of the people" has, knowingly or not, led us down this particular path. And I don't see how we can bring it back without something extremely unpleasant happening. It's not about Brexit, it's far more important than that.

You only had to see the interview last night over Sir Kim Darroch with Tom Tugendhat MP, Chairman of The Foreign Affairs Select Committee and Richard Tice MEP, Chairman of The Brexit Party. Tugendhat spoke with authority over a subject he knew all about, Tice didn't but that sure wasn't going to stop him and he obviously attacked Darroch and when asked if he'd actually like to be UK Ambassador to The US, rather than say 'don't be ridiculous' he waffled on about how it should be 'someone from business' ie a believer, to which Tugendhat just politely said it's not going to happen. They're given equal air time though on this subject and I thought Tugendhat masked his exasperation at this as best he could, very well. It appeared when on camera and not speaking from central lobby a couple of people walked past he knew who he nodded his head at, almost as if to say: 'Yes, I'm live on TV as Chairman of The Foreign Affairs Select Committee talking about it with that fool.'

I could also certainly see why Leave.EU started a campaign a while back to have Tugendhat deselected in Tonbridge and Malling. Despite being a former Army Officer, Iraq and Afghanistan veteran, fluent in Arabic, working for The Chief of The Defence Staff, he is very much a traitor.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I didn't vote for a deal , we will leave the EU No second referendum no pressure groups the choice is yours , the decision will be final , you need to stop clutching at straws
regards
DR

You also didn't vote for 'no deal'. You originally voted for a broad ambiguous concept, that may have involved us leaving with no deal, or leaving with a deal etc. etc. You may have had hopes for what that meant, but that's all you had.

The 2017 Tory manifesto, which garnered most votes, which sets out the current Government's position, quite clearly states we will leave the EU smoothly and orderly with a deal.

Quite obviously its you that needs to stop clutching at straws.

Jan 30, 2008
You also didn't vote for 'no deal'. You originally voted for a broad ambiguous concept, that may have involved us leaving with no deal, or leaving with a deal etc. etc. You may have had hopes for what that meant, but that's all you had.

The 2017 Tory manifesto, which garnered most votes, which sets out the current Government's position, quite clearly states we will leave the EU smoothly and orderly with a deal.

Quite obviously its you that needs to stop clutching at straws.

that hasn't happened so far so Its a no deal ,just remember no deal is better than a bad deal , get over yourself we're leaving how ever much you want to spin it to feel better about your self
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here