Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Chris Hughton interview today

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think that's the point most people are making. Playing crap, 4th bottom etc etc worse than previous season. Why would you be surprised. Maybe, he was surprised it happened so soon after the City game but I'm sure he wasn't expecting an extension to his contract!!

Because from this report his responsibility he told us was to keep the club in the Premier League. Something Barber had constantly stated was imperative for the club
As for expecting an extension to his contract, probably not as he had been given a new four year contract at the beginning of the season, by a then ecstatic chairman for just keeping them up. So he was obviously given and achieved the target again of remaining in the Premier League
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....hris-hughton-humble-manager-a8487181.html?amp

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Because from this report his responsibility he told us was to keep the club in the Premier League. Something Barber had constantly stated was imperative for the club
As for expecting an extension to his contract, probably not as he had been given a new four year contract at the beginning of the season, by a then ecstatic chairman for just keeping them up. So he was obviously given and achieved the target again of remaining in the Premier League
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....hris-hughton-humble-manager-a8487181.html?amp

A lot of people I know in the football media who only saw Albion when they played in London or at home to one of the big six share the view that Hughton kept us up and was therefore entitled to another season at least. Those who reported on rather more of our games tend to agree that TB's move was understandable because, in the end, it wasn't CH that kept us up but a combination of Crystal Palace and the referee in the Cardiff v Chelsea match.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

My bad, I should have said 'another' extension to his contract.

I still don't believe he genuinely thought his position was safe bearing in mind where we finished and more importantly how we had been playing. Surprised by the timing probably.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
A lot of people I know in the football media who only saw Albion when they played in London or at home to one of the big six share the view that Hughton kept us up and was therefore entitled to another season at least. Those who reported on rather more of our games tend to agree that TB's move was understandable because, in the end, it wasn't CH that kept us up but a combination of Crystal Palace and the referee in the Cardiff v Chelsea match.

Do those same people fail to remember that it was officials that gave Cardiff three points against us down there?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do those same people fail to remember that it was officials that gave Cardiff three points against us down there?

....to be fair, we only had 3 shots on target and after a few mins optimism at the start we were our usual away selves. Bamba was offside though, we should have escaped with a point.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
....to be fair, we only had 3 shots on target and after a few mins optimism at the start we were our usual away selves. Bamba was offside though, we should have escaped with a point.

Thought we bossed large parts of the first half and the game changed on the sending off.

Don’t forget their goalie produced a great save from Izquierdo as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I still don't believe he genuinely thought his position was safe bearing in mind where we finished and more importantly how we had been playing. Surprised by the timing probably.

My view after reading that report is, his task was definitely survival and why he was surprised by the clubs action. He would probably expected the sack if he had failed

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm just surprised he was surprised that's all . :thumbsup:

My take on it is that the surprise comes from how you feel your employer thinks you're doing, not league table position, not fans, generally how you feel the club feels you're doing. I read the interview as saying that despite woeful performances, he had nothing negative from either Barber or Bloom. No emergency meetings, no complaints about this or that, so in turn he probably felt that yes it had gone badly, but he had the trust of Bloom to put went wrong particularly in 2019 right for this season. If nothing was said from Barber or Bloom after some of those poor performances, and it was all support for him in turning it around throughout 2019, then yes of course it would be a surprise that Monday morning after the final game you're sacked.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How Hughton could have been surprised with the sack after the dire debacles at the Amex against Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, Cardiff and even Newcastle and Huddersfield is totally beyond me.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How Hughton could have been surprised with the sack after the dire debacles at the Amex against Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, Cardiff and even Newcastle and Huddersfield is totally beyond me.

Exactly why you'd be surprised. If they've shown you belief through all of that, no emergency meetings, no reviews, only support for you, then you probably are surprised that you're sacked so promptly after the final day.

Had your boss been saying it hadn't been good enough, wasn't happy with performances, etc etc. you probably wouldn't be suprised because the writing was on the wall.

What the interview tells you is that Bloom and Barber trusted Hughton to deliver survival and kept everything completely positive. The upshot of that is Hughton felt confident his job was safe.

No great surprise really.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Exactly why you'd be surprised. If they've shown you belief through all of that, no emergency meetings, no reviews, only support for you, then you probably are surprised that you're sacked so promptly after the final day.

Had your boss been saying it hadn't been good enough, wasn't happy with performances, etc etc. you probably wouldn't be suprised because the writing was on the wall.

What the interview tells you is that Bloom and Barber trusted Hughton to deliver survival and kept everything completely positive. The upshot of that is Hughton felt confident his job was safe.

I suppose if I'd felt I'd got away with delivering a series of debacles then I might think I could do no wrong and was in a job for life :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I suppose if I'd felt I'd got away with delivering a series of debacles then I might think I could do no wrong and was in a job for life :shrug:

We weren't relegated for 2 seasons, so lets try at least to keep some perspective of what actual failure is.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My view after reading that report is, his task was definitely survival and why he was surprised by the clubs action. He would probably expected the sack if he had failed

Well I think I might be a little more cynical than you. When someone is talking to the press, I'm not sure they are going to be 100% honest. eg. Yes, we played shit and I expected to be collecting my P45. I'm to blame as I pick the team and I determine tactics and quite clearly in the second part of the season I got it all wrong.'

That ain't going to do his future employment prospects much good.

Perhaps the hack should have asked if, based on his experience at Norwich, he expected the sack after the Cardiff game?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I don't agree, to put him on warnings would have added to the pressure so they chose not to do that. At the end of the day, it didn't matter what they said, the evidence on the pitch spoke for itself and we stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We weren't relegated for 2 seasons, so lets try at least to keep some perspective of what actual failure is.

We were in a downward spiral, make no mistake about that. No goals scored between St Patrick's Day and St George's Day, 11 points in 2019, just 2 PL wins.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well I think I might be a little more cynical than you. When someone is talking to the press, I'm not sure they are going to be 100% honest. eg. Yes, we played shit and I expected to be collecting my P45. I'm to blame as I pick the team and I determine tactics and quite clearly in the second part of the season I got it all wrong.'

That ain't going to do his future employment prospects much good.

Perhaps the hack should have asked if, based on his experience at Norwich, he expected the sack after the Cardiff game?

That report was at the beginning of the season before a ball was kicked and he said survival was priority right back then. Not after the Cardiff game
Can I ask you, have you ever been given instant dismissal after reaching a target?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't agree, to put him on warnings would have added to the pressure so they chose not to do that. At the end of the day, it didn't matter what they said, the evidence on the pitch spoke for itself and we stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

Drew, I'm giving my opinion why he was surprised. I'm not critiquing Bloom or Barber's management technique, or disputing the evidence of the pitch. Let's not get side tracked. It was purely a point as to why I accept he probably was genuinely surprised.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We were in a downward spiral, make no mistake about that. No goals scored between St Patrick's Day and St George's Day, 11 points in 2019, just 2 PL wins.

I'm not making a point about the justification for his sacking, just accepting he was most likely surprised.

Some of you could create arguments professionally. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here