Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ian Dury

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That had to be the Suite gig with Elvis Costello, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Larry Wallis etc. Still remember it well after all these years :thumbsup:

That's the one. Wreckless Eric was the other act. Costello, inimicably, did a set of almost entirely new songs (from This Year's Model) which was disappointing (but how wonderful it would be to go back in time and see that set again). It was Nick Lowe rather than Dave Edmunds, but I seem to recall Edmunds played with Lowe's band.

Talking of Nick Lowe, he was in Brinsley Schwartz when I saw them at Hove Town hall supporting, I think, the one hit wonders 'Ace'. Dull pub rock, sadly. No wonder I was so captivated by punk when it started.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Saw The Blockheas at TOM last month. Still going strong after 40 years. Mostly the original lineup - consummate musicians.

I've had the pleasure of looking after The Blockheads a couple of times in the last 5 years at gigs, with beer and food riders etc, and can say that to a man, they are absolutely brilliant guys.

At one gig, they asked my son to sell the merchandise, and really looked after him.

Top, top blokes are The Blockheads!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
If my memory is correct: “ a seasoned up Hyena could not have been more obscener “ (and other wonderful lyrics - I’m gonna have to dust off their old vinyl albums).

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Ian Dury was in the year above me at school, RGS High Wycombe, the school was also attended, years later by Failing Grayling.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What would you say was his genius?

Despite his disabilities he had lots of front, stood up for his roots and represented them with innovative songs and music, the types of which I don’t think have been equalled. IMO he was one of the first role model for disabled people by fronting a punk band and not giving a flying f**k. Genius may not be the most apt description, but it was the first to come to mind.

boik

Saw him on the Rock'n'Roll circus tour with Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias and "The worlds rudest punch and judy man". Think there was someone else on the tour but can seem to remember who.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Where’d you get that hair cut? Brent Cross Shopping Centre? I bet your mother feeds you with a catapult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here