Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Yes, his first ‘valuation’ was laughable for a player who failed to make the big 6 grade at his first attempt. If he’s asking £100m for Tumble then he is bat-sh1t mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He should just value him at £45m , so the arsenal can afford him and be done with it . Anything else is clearly mental .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He should just value him at £45m , so the arsenal can afford him and be done with it . Anything else is clearly mental .

Are those the only options? Value a player at the report limit one particular club has to spend, or value him at a ridiculously over inflated price? There isn't any sort of middle ground? There isn't any sense of pricing him at what is a fair market value irrespective of his chosen clubs supposed financial clout?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Middle ground normally gets reached .It’s like tony playing poker and not showing his hand too early , it’s all in the game . I reckon Wilf will stay as no one will pay what we want .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Middle ground normally gets reached .It’s like tony playing poker and not showing his hand too early , it’s all in the game . I reckon Wilf will stay as no one will pay what we want .

You're talking about middle ground between the price someone is willing to buy and the price someone is willing to sell.

bw2 was talking about how insane the over-inflated price tag is and you've suggested the only other possible alternative to slapping a prohibitively ridiculous price tag on a player is to value him at exactly what arsenal are reported to have to spend - which is a different point of discussion, but I'm sure you realise that and this is just your usual 'can't argue the point properly' subterfuge but I'll play along.

It's reasonable if you want to keep someone and they're not agitating for a move, to slap a ridiculous fee on them. A kind of 'we don't need or want to sell, so it'll have to be a ridiculous fee to tempt us' tactic. In which case 100m wouldn't be insane. But that isn't the case. Zaha is agitating for a move. He wants to go. Setting such an over-inflated price won't leave Zaha thinking 'gee, I guess Arsenal weren't really interested, I'm glad palace like me I'm gonna give my all for them instead', it will leave him thinking 'That was clearly never going to be reached, you're holding me hostage, I've given my all for this club, I've stunted my own development and missed out on the further development european football would provide me long enough, it's time for me to move on and if you won't help me, why should I help you, I'm too good for this place.'

60m might be more realistic, and is still (supposedly) prohibitive for Arsenal. It achieves the same thing (prices the only willing buyer out), while also seeming like you're in touch with reality and not trying to force a player to stay with you when he wants to go, it gives the player doubt about the potential buying team's desire.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

I agree, I can't see anyone paying the required amount for him. I presume he will be knocking on the Chairman's door for a pay review and loyalty bonus.
Wonder how the squad players would view a further pay increase for Wilf as Palace seem to have a vast difference in wages throughout the whole squad.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
But they wouldn't be looking to remove that clause on AWB if they weren't planning on selling Zaha.

No no dear boy. They were trying to remove the sell on fee as part of AWBs deal because, deep within Steve Parish’s black little soul he knows that a want away player is bad.

The issue is that he knows he dropped a massive bollock by going cheap when bringing Wilf back from United. For the sake of a paltry few million he has now lumbered Palace with a problem. He can’t see that he has, quite literally, had his cake, a cake that he paid £3m for, a cake that saved Palace from the drop, a cake that kept them in the PL more than once, a cake that has generated at least £200 million as a consequence, a cake that now realises he is trapped by a 25% sell on fee that Parish absolutely BELIEVES he should not pay because...that goes against every bone in his spiv body....and wants to eat it over and over again...so now believes it’s fair to load that as an overage to any prospective buyer.

He’s a joke. A disgrace. Wilf...I almost feel sorry for the poor sod.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Good. You’ll then have a p1ssed off player on your hands. Brilliant management by your club’s super-impressive leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The Wilf saga has potential to derail pre season camaraderie. The situation is now this:

Palace have sold their second best player for £50million (£55 with add ons)

They tried to get Man Utd to give up their 25% interest in Zaha as part of that deal. Manchester United replied “look, we don’t want Zaha back...which is the only reason we would do this. So. No. No we won’t. Why the hell would we?”

Wilf had already been dropping huge hints that he wants to leave. He believes that playing for Palace means he will only ever be a footnote in PL history. He will never challenge for anything worthwhile. Every season will be a pointless exercise in staying on the PL gravy train for a certain Mr Steven “no cock” Parish esq. “I think I’m better than that” thinks Tumbley. He is.

Realising that the Ultras, Drum bangers and dirge singers will hunt him and kill him if he loses Zaha AND AWB. Parish panics. I will price Wilf at 100% more than his actual value. That way I keep him.

Wilf has now resorted to “Begging” his one time mentor and lover Steven “smoke and mirrors” Parish to let him go. “Don’t price me out of my dream” sobs Wilf.

Parish adds another 20 million pounds to his price. “You shan’t go to the ball cinderella” cackles the wicked stepmother. Wilf goes to his room and slams the door.

Now certain to stay. Wilf has a tough decision. “I want to leave. My boss won’t let me.”

He will now have to decide whether he’s happy with that. If he’s not...he just won’t play well. His value will plummet. Palace won’t win...the fans will end up hating both of them.

Brighton laugh.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
The Wilf saga has potential to derail pre season camaraderie. The situation is now this:

Palace have sold their second best player for £50million (£55 with add ons)

They tried to get Man Utd to give up their 25% interest in Zaha as part of that deal. Manchester United replied “look, we don’t want Zaha back...which is the only reason we would do this. So. No. No we won’t. Why the hell would we?”

Wilf had already been dropping huge hints that he wants to leave. He believes that playing for Palace means he will only ever be a footnote in PL history. He will never challenge for anything worthwhile. Every season will be a pointless exercise in staying on the PL gravy train for a certain Mr Steven “no cock” Parish esq. “I think I’m better than that” thinks Tumbley. He is.

Realising that the Ultras, Drum bangers and dirge singers will hunt him and kill him if he loses Zaha AND AWB. Parish panics. I will price Wilf at 100% more than his actual value. That way I keep him.

Wilf has now resorted to “Begging” his one time mentor and lover Steven “smoke and mirrors” Parish to let him go. “Don’t price me out of my dream” sobs Wilf.

Parish adds another 20 million pounds to his price. “You shan’t go to the ball cinderella” cackles the wicked stepmother. Wilf goes to his room and slams the door.

Now certain to stay. Wilf has a tough decision. “I want to leave. My boss won’t let me.”

He will now have to decide whether he’s happy with that. If he’s not...he just won’t play well. His value will plummet. Palace won’t win...the fans will end up hating both of them.

Brighton laugh.

I’m laughing .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I’m laughing .

This is a genuine question. So far this summer what has Palace done to get you excited? I mean on the playing side Batshuayi and Wan Bissaka has left, and according to reports Zaha wants to leave. No players have been signed yet (thats not the end of the world yet).

Parish has negotiated a fantastic deal for Wan Bissaka but it has taken up a lot of time and energy. I suspect if Zaha wanting out is true, then that could also take up a lot of time and energy. Then there is the American apparently wanting out. That is going to take up a lot of time and energy, and finally the negotiations for the new stand isn't going as well as he hoped.

That is a lot of pressure on Parish as well as a lot of things happening all at once. All of which would worry me a little if I was a Palace fan.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
This is a genuine question. So far this summer what has Palace done to get you excited? I mean on the playing side Batshuayi and Wan Bissaka has left, and according to reports Zaha wants to leave. No players have been signed yet (thats not the end of the world yet).

Parish has negotiated a fantastic deal for Wan Bissaka but it has taken up a lot of time and energy. I suspect if Zaha wanting out is true, then that could also take up a lot of time and energy. Then there is the American apparently wanting out. That is going to take up a lot of time and energy, and finally the negotiations for the new stand isn't going as well as he hoped.

That is a lot of pressure on Parish as well as a lot of things happening all at once. All of which would worry me a little if I was a Palace fan.

It's just deja vous for them isn't it.
Palace always seem to have a summer transfer window disaster but they still end up staying in the Prem comfortably! I don't expect any different this season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's just deja vous for them isn't it.
Palace always seem to have a summer transfer window disaster but they still end up staying in the Prem comfortably! I don't expect any different this season.

That's because they still have an expensive and overall capable squad. I'm not saying they've invested well, but they have a md table team.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The “valuation” is inflated though. Even you must accept that trying to pass on the 25% you owe Manchester United to whoever buys him is the issue? Wilf certainly knows it, Arsenal know it...EVERYONE knows it bacause Parish has skilfully told us that’s what he’s trying to do.

The very fact that Parish was trying to knock down the Zaha sell-on fee as part of the Wan-Bissaka negotiations is proof that they intend to cash in.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Could be a very profitable summer for the yanks before they sell up and walk away.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hopefully the Yanks will sell every saleable first team player, pocket all the proceeds, offer improved new contracts to Benteke, Tomkins and Hennessy, table big offers for Stephen Dobbie and Aaron Wilbraham, and then **** off into the distance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hopefully the Yanks will sell every saleable first team player, pocket all the proceeds, offer improved new contracts to Benteke, Tomkins and Hennessy, table big offers for Stephen Dobbie and Aaron Wilbraham, and then **** off into the distance.

....selling the club to Mike Ashley as they depart (would be a happy union given most of the Goon Squad seem to get all their clobber at Sports Direct) after he’s offloaded Newcastle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here