Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] British IS Girl wanting to return to the UK

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I find it shocking how many people want to punish her even more, despite her age and despite everything she's already gone through. I find it quite barbaric - but I suppose the same people are likely to support the death penalty right?

She OBVIOUSLY should be let in. It's the right thing to do for so many reasons - she's our citizen, she can face justice, she can then be rehabilitated, and perhaps most importantly she can be studied to help to prevent these things from happening again.
I agree.......
If she is our citizen,then she should come home,and if she has broken our laws then,she must face justice.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I find it shocking how many people want to punish her even more, despite her age and despite everything she's already gone through. I find it quite barbaric - but I suppose the same people are likely to support the death penalty right?

She OBVIOUSLY should be let in. It's the right thing to do for so many reasons - she's our citizen, she can face justice, she can then be rehabilitated, and perhaps most importantly she can be studied to help to prevent these things from happening again.

NO!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And assuming they are pro-ISIS, and think all those chaps in Syria were doing a grand job and that all non-believers should be killed? Where would their rights sit in that?

Good question. But, the law states that as a citizen there are certain rights. We risk taking an unpredictable path if we stray from the law.

If she returns, she must abide by the law. That may be enough to convince her not to return, and then we don’t have to spend loads of taxpayers money sorting things out. Anyhow, her husband is Dutch so why can’t she go to Holland and the taxpayers there can deal with it all.

I get the argument that we should think of the unborn child. I’d imagine if she returned she’d lose that child. Whether the child would be adopted or raised by the family is another matter. It would be wrong of me to doubt that the grandchild would not have a loving family to raise him/her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As a British citizen she has every right to come back to the UK , what doesn't sit nicely with me is the fact she has gone to the papers to ask t be let back in rather than just come back. I think this has more to do with wanting the British government to pay for her to come back which is not right.
If she wants to come back she should pay for herself.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
She’ll be back. We’ve no doubt already chartered a plane to bring her here where we’ll make some token noises about how tough we’re going to be on her before housing her and doing nothing.

Within two years her ‘husband’ will win an appeal and he’ll be here as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There are a few things I find both fascinating and also puzzling about this story. Fascinating is how people have become so involved and vocal about stories such as this one these days. Stories where the outcome might make little or no difference to people's lives, but still they want to give their opinion, which, in some cases, can be a pretty extreme viewpoint. I think there is more to come about this story and it is clearly a complex and complicated matter. The 'solution' goes deeper than the 'she made her bed...' stuff and that alone is probably not enough to 'let her rot' where she is.

And then the story itself. Why has it come out? How did this geezer find her? Did The Times have intel on where she was and what she wanted to say? I'm guessing it wasn't a chance meeting at a refugee camp. I'm a huge cynic, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Murdoch was behind this whole thing and it has been orchestrated in a way to prove a point. Maybe it's Brexit-related or something to create a diversion to something else going on? Whatever the reason, it's done it's job from a media coverage point of view!

I appreciate that me saying about people being involved in stories and then going on to ask loads of questions might appear hypocritical, but I'm more interested from a journalistic angle. As to this Doris, I'm not really fussed what happens to her. If she comes back I presume she'll go through some form of vetting and if she's deemed a danger to society then she'll be dealt with as such. Or she might not come back – who knows?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Do look up her fathers history. It's a 'lovely' read I can tell you. Bed time story stuff.

This is not about her father, it is about her. If the security services think she poses a risk she should not be allowed back. If not, she should and she should face the consequences of her actions, not as a child, but as an adult. She is 19 now and claims to have no regrets.

Personally, it’s all pretty distasteful, but the judgment of a society is how it treats people on the margins. No risk = return and face the law. Risk = no return.

Personally, I doubt she’s a risk, but we’ll be spending cash on deradicalizing her.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
This is not about her father, it is about her. If the security services think she poses a risk she should not be allowed back. If not, she should and she should face the consequences of her actions, not as a child, but as an adult. She is 19 now and claims to have no regrets.

Personally, it’s all pretty distasteful, but the judgment of a society is how it treats people on the margins. No risk = return and face the law. Risk = no return.

Personally, I doubt she’s a risk, but we’ll be spending cash on deradicalizing her.

Influences dear boy, influences. Additionally he is being interviewed in the media. It's all relevant in my opinion. Yours of course may differ.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There are a few things I find both fascinating and also puzzling about this story. Fascinating is how people have become so involved and vocal about stories such as this one these days. Stories where the outcome might make little or no difference to people's lives, but still they want to give their opinion, which, in some cases, can be a pretty extreme viewpoint. I think there is more to come about this story and it is clearly a complex and complicated matter. The 'solution' goes deeper than the 'she made her bed...' stuff and that alone is probably not enough to 'let her rot' where she is.

And then the story itself. Why has it come out? How did this geezer find her? Did The Times have intel on where she was and what she wanted to say? I'm guessing it wasn't a chance meeting at a refugee camp. I'm a huge cynic, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Murdoch was behind this whole thing and it has been orchestrated in a way to prove a point. Maybe it's Brexit-related or something to create a diversion to something else going on? Whatever the reason, it's done it's job from a media coverage point of view!

I appreciate that me saying about people being involved in stories and then going on to ask loads of questions might appear hypocritical, but I'm more interested from a journalistic angle. As to this Doris, I'm not really fussed what happens to her. If she comes back I presume she'll go through some form of vetting and if she's deemed a danger to society then she'll be dealt with as such. Or she might not come back – who knows?

Tell me about it! Every radio phone in today, media outlet...as if any of us have any say in or even know enough about. And look what happens when we are asked for our 'expert' opinion?

...Brexit anyone?!!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
There are a few things I find both fascinating and also puzzling about this story. Fascinating is how people have become so involved and vocal about stories such as this one these days. Stories where the outcome might make little or no difference to people's lives, but still they want to give their opinion, which, in some cases, can be a pretty extreme viewpoint.

Pack it in. Little or no difference? Her husband will end up here as well one way or another, then his mates and I’m sure they won’t be hanging around as model citizens. These are fanatics, that part is not even up for debate. They have risked their lives just to get to Syria to take part in some things which most people can’t comprehend. Who do you think was cutting the heads off that were in the bin? There’s ever chance these people being in our country is going to have a huge impact on people’s lives.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
As far as im concerned dont let her back she's coming back for her childs sake so what about all the other kids that isis murdered she didnt give a f..k about them or what kids have been killed worldwide by isis if she comes back hang her at the tower traitorous woman . But we'll let her back give her a flat, benefits ,healthcare school her kid , give her all the help under the sun you see then her sprog will probrually rise up and kill someone good old soft touch uk ffs

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At the end of the day you can't just de-nationalise people. If she's a British citizen then she has a right to come back here, if she's committed a crime then charge her and let the courts deal with it.

I understand why people get emotional about this stuff, but the reality is that she's our society's problem to deal with, and I'm not trying to dress anything up here - 15yo girls deciding to go to a warzone is a problem

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm not comfortable with the fact that we're judging the actions of a 15 year old (at the time of her actions) ethnically arab, muslim schoolgirl from a mainly (on NSC) white, working/middle class, middle aged, male perspective.

And furthermore we have no idea what her life experiences were before she made her decision, whether she ever experienced or suffered racism, islamophobia or bigotry of any kind that might have shaped or formed her character and opinions. The majority on here are fortunate enough to have been born in circumstances which determined that we would never experience any of those things.

Everything about her background and circumstances is about as diametrically alien to our own as it could be and therefore any opinion we form on her motivations is based on relative ignorance.

She was a fifteen year old child for god sake who did something incredibly stupid as fifteen year old children are inclined to do, but usually with the benefit of being able to amend or learn from their mistakes. However in her case once there she was hardly in a position to simply change her mind and do a u turn back to the UK. She'd pretty much sealed her fate and had no choice but to adapt to the situation she was now in. In that respect she should be judged in the context of what she did when she was 15. After that she had very little choice but to adapt.

Another thing that"s being overlooked when people comment on her perceived lack of remorse is that it's only being attributed to radicalisation, but it's not as simple as that. Take away the radicalisation element and there still remains the effect of the Stockholm Syndrome where captors identify and bond with their captors. Patti Hearst being the most famous example when she was kidnapped by the terrorist group the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Even kidnapping victims, both adult and children, who are then subjected to cruelty and abuse including sexual can form such a bond and dependence on their captors that even if they have the opportunity to escape they often choose not to, even to the extent where they can be left free to go out on their own and yet they still willingly return to their captor.

Although Ms Begum went voluntarily, once there she was still essentially a captive as she was not free to simply return home again if she wanted to.

So when judging her attitude and comments don't just see someone who has been radicalised, look at the psychological damage inflicted on a young, vulnerable girl in circumstances that once there were totally out of her control. Yes she has been radicalised but with the added complexity of the effects of the Stockholm Syndrome and it might be the latter which might be influencing her current statements more than the radicalisation.

Isn't it funny how the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade who want her to rot in Syria are the same ones who denounce the Rochdale grooming gang. Maybe it's because she is brown? She was groomed. Maybe they should be blaming the people who groomed her. Yes, lock her up. She may have been brainwashed to believe extreme religious or political ideologies at the age of 15 by the Daesh grooming gangs and needs deradicalising. Lock her up, lock her up! But she is British. Own it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's tough to get behind the '**** her' 'I hope she rots' 'just take her kid and leave her there' rhetoric.

But as others have said this is more than just 'kids being stoooopid', I don't know what the answer is, but I do know the answer isn't just return to the UK as if nothing has happened.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Influences dear boy, influences. Additionally he is being interviewed in the media. It's all relevant in my opinion. Yours of course may differ.

Crikey, if you are going to start prosecuting people because of their influences then you’re going to be a very busy boy. Good luck. Can we start by prosecuting the offspring of Tommy Robinson as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here