Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The owner of Leicester also has a Belgian club and Nigel Pearson is manager. It's all the rage.

I've got a feeling that, despite need a job, we won't be seeing Gus at USG any time soon...

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Hmmmm........you make a decent case. But, if you were struggling along in Belgium division two, in a ground with trees growing out of the stands, wouldn't you welcome a benevolent investor? Enquiries to Brighton fans surely wouldn't have discouraged you from embracing TB's involvement, Shirley? He could only be good news.

TBH, for a struggling 2nd. division Belgian club, being a feeder club for an English PL team would be a massive step up, wouldn't it?

Ask the same question to Brighton fans 20 years ago, I'm sure feeder teams in England was mooted at some point, we knew our potential and the thought of any such arrangement was abhorrant. USG have a proud history being a feeder club for anyone is a step down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ask the same question to Brighton fans 20 years ago, I'm sure feeder teams in England was mooted at some point, we knew our potential and the thought of any such arrangement was abhorrant. USG have a proud history being a feeder club for anyone is a step down.
I don't know anything about their history - what size crowds have they had, how high up the chain have they ever been?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
When I went it was pay on the day. Club bar is good and friendly, but over the other side of St Gilles is Chez Moeder Lambic (original, to distinguish it from its City Centre offshoot.) is a classic. Not sure of in ground arrangements post re furb. It was anywhere on the terrace you wanted, free to walk around if you wished. One main stand. Beer allowed on the terrace. Indeed someone manually hauled a cask from the bar and set it up on the terrace on my visit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tony obviously wants both Brighton and USG to do as well as possible, but should both teams, in the future, arrive in the UEFA Europa league, then he would be forced to sell one club as UEFA rules forbid an owner to have influence on two clubs in its competitions.

'Have influence' - that definition must be as long as a piece of string. "I just own it, I don't have any involvement in the management of the club" should cover it, shirley? Anyway, I don't suppose we have to worry about it for a while yet.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Perhaps just drop the emotive words 'Feeder club' then. Just call it a club we can loan occasional promising youngsters to to broaden their experience, and s place we can use to help overseas players get work permits.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Playing against Anderlecht, first serious opposition for our boy

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
A trip to 3rd division Royal Knokke awaits in the last 16 for Tau, Niakaté et al

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here