Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Pete, you're correct, Mr Hairy is in both.

He got an invite into the plate last week,because he finished third in his group.

For some reason, the chap that finished second, has closed his account, therefore the system promotes Mr Hairy to second instead.

I left it as it was, so that both tournaments had an equal 12 in each. Not ideal, but he's ok with it.

You'll also notice Maffew is in, because one player never took up the invite despite repeated requests.

Apologies if that was me, I think after 30 or so failed attempts to beat L1 computer I realised that chess wasn't for me:facepalm::facepalm:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How do I see what’s happening in the Bournemouth match. My opponents like Guy Butters on Valium. So slow its unreal.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I've already beaten a player twice in the next round, simply because they have timed out already (which is very unfair imo)

1 - Can anything be done to re-stage these games? or are they locked in because of the site running it? (I'd imagine they have lost all 6 games on time outs)
2- Is it worth considering giving a lot longer notice when future rounds of the tournaments start - something like a weeks notice? so that everyone has a chance to find out about it restarting (or again is this something the site does automatically once all the other games conclude and there is no flexibility to delay the next round?)

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Yes looks like Seahaven has timed out without playing a move. Surely there’s a way to restart these games. He has played three moves in his other game with me so not sure what’s going on. Hopefully he will make contact and explain

Pickles

May 5, 2014
How do I see what’s happening in the Bournemouth match. My opponents like Guy Butters on Valium. So slow its unreal.

Oh, I do LOVE you!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Yes looks like Seahaven has timed out without playing a move. Surely there’s a way to restart these games. He has played three moves in his other game with me so not sure what’s going on. Hopefully he will make contact and explain

There isn't a way to restart these.

Oh man.........!!!

And if there was, ?........

Come on guys, please don't make it more complicated, eh?

xxx Pickles xxx

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There isn't a way to restart these.

Oh man.........!!!

And if there was, ?........

Come on guys, please don't make it more complicated, eh?

xxx Pickles xxx
So we can't do anything about it now? (feels wrong to me to win a match were the opponent gets caught out by the timing of the start of the next round)

If we can't do anything about this round, do you have any say in when the next (or any future) rounds starts or do they begin automatically after the conclusion of the previous round? - Basically are we able to give more notice in future, to give everyone a chance to spot they have begun and make it less likely to time out before making a single move or are we at the mercy of the system

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
So we can't do anything about it now? (feels wrong to me to win a match were the opponent gets caught out by the timing of the start of the next round)

If we can't do anything about this round, do you have any say in when the next (or any future) rounds starts or do they begin automatically after the conclusion of the previous round? - Basically are we able to give more notice in future, to give everyone a chance to spot they have begun and make it less likely to time out before making a single move or are we at the mercy of the system

Any admin can set up a tournament or match.

Once that particular game or match starts, the only change we can make is by withdrawing a player.

We're pretty lucky and good with this chess club, because we have two outlets.

1. We have our thread on NSC.

2. on Chess.com. , you have instant notifications and the forums.

3. On various occasions ,I have taken time and effort to pm members on both sites.

I'm not really sure what else I can do?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
You’ve done some fantastic work to get this off the ground Pickles. I think we all owe you a beer. Hopefully you’ll be suitably rewarded one day

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I've already beaten a player twice in the next round, simply because they have timed out already (which is very unfair imo)

1 - Can anything be done to re-stage these games? or are they locked in because of the site running it? (I'd imagine they have lost all 6 games on time outs)
2- Is it worth considering giving a lot longer notice when future rounds of the tournaments start - something like a weeks notice? so that everyone has a chance to find out about it restarting (or again is this something the site does automatically once all the other games conclude and there is no flexibility to delay the next round?)

We get the emails and the like, it's up to the opposition player, team to manage heir timeouts/no shows shirley. If someone on team NSC kept losing matches/points in tournaments outside of NSC by not turning up then that wouldn't be ok. We do seem to have some strength in depth to make sure that all our games aren't short of keen players, which is no mean feat by Pickles in the short time we have been up and running
Anyways, I thought [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] was going to sign up, we need a few more mods from here on there so we can go toe to toe with them and put on swear filters, give them warnings and ban them for a bit and stuff

Pickles

May 5, 2014
You’ve done some fantastic work to get this off the ground Pickles. I think we all owe you a beer. Hopefully you’ll be suitably rewarded one day

It's great fun and I love chess, although I'm only average.

I'll have a beer of course, Punk IPA xxx

We get the emails and the like, it's up to the opposition player, team to manage heir timeouts/no shows shirley. If someone on team NSC kept losing matches/points in tournaments outside of NSC by not turning up then that wouldn't be ok. We do seem to have some strength in depth to make sure that all our games aren't short of keen players, which is no mean feat by Pickles in the short time we have been up and running
Anyways, I thought [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] was going to sign up, we need a few more mods from here on there so we can go toe to toe with them and put on swear filters, give them warnings and ban them for a bit and stuff

We don't need any more admins, I know who is who and that is the ticket x

Maffew is an admin!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Yeah I wouldn't make them admins on there, just boss them about a bit as mere users

The admins on the Chess site are :....

Super admins : Pickles ( fair choice! ), Giraffe ( Top bloke and mod on NSC ), Chessnutts ( Been on chess.com. for years and in Team Sussex for years ).

Admins : Atilla ( Top man, poetry apart x ) and member for years on chess.com. Battleman , a great admin to have, he knows his game and he knows the people.

As the final admin, we have Maffew, whom without starting it we wouldn't have this....

EDIT!!!! OMG I forgot my best mate in life, Questions! He's there somewhere..............

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I was trying to teach somebody you know very well how to play chess , the somebody started by saying he had played a bit when he was younger but lost interest over the years , our first game went ok and lasted about 20 minutes with a break in the middle for calming vaping therapy , our next game was quickly going the same way when he realised this the board and pieces were kicked into orbit and he retired to the shed for some not very quiet reflection , so dear Pickles if he asks to join just say no :wink:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I was trying to teach somebody you know very well how to play chess , the somebody started by saying he had played a bit when he was younger but lost interest over the years , our first game went ok and lasted about 20 minutes with a break in the middle for calming vaping therapy , our next game was quickly going the same way when he realised this the board and pieces were kicked into orbit and he retired to the shed for some not very quiet reflection , so dear Pickles if he asks to join just say no :wink:

Did he go off in a Huff?
Stupid Boy doesnt know the difference between chess and draughts.
Tell him to stick to dangling for ice cubes.:fishing:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Did he go off in a Huff?
Stupid Boy doesnt know the difference between chess and draughts.
Tell him to stick to dangling for ice cubes.:fishing:

Yes
Yes
And he actually caught something huge on the trip other than ice so can't knock him for that one :laugh:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Chess and fishing.Bloody lovely. Throw in a good chat about all the great beers out there and I’m covered.

Well drink the beers as well obviously.

It’s great being boring.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This Bournemouth player is soooooo slow..... losing interest . One move every 48 hours ..... literally.

Just checked his profile and he has 99 games on at the moment. No wonder he’s so slow. That’s ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here