Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CCTV Home outdoor recommendations

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
After an attempted burglary last night, I spent the night scouring the Web for an outdoor camera. Has anyone got any recommendations? Night vision and 5m range is what I am after. Thanks in advance.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
After an attempted burglary last night, I spent the night scouring the Web for an outdoor camera. Has anyone got any recommendations? Night vision and 5m range is what I am after. Thanks in advance.

Give me a shout if you need mate, I've got a pretty complex setup after some burglary issues but it all depends on what you want to spend etc. My setup got 1 person 10 years and another 4 so maybe it was a good investment!

Edit - The simple view of mine is Hikvision Night vision CCTV dome cameras (analogue) connected via 'shotgun' cables to an Axis P7214 video server which is connected to a Mac Mini running Security Spy software....

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You might need a light reduction filter for night use. I found a 20m with night vision worked well until she put her main bedroom light on and then my view whited-out. The filter reduces the glare and you can see everything.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Give me a shout if you need mate, I've got a pretty complex setup after some burglary issues but it all depends on what you want to spend etc. My setup got 1 person 10 years and another 4 so maybe it was a good investment!

Edit - The simple view of mine is Hikvision Night vision CCTV dome cameras (analogue) connected via 'shotgun' cables to an Axis P7214 video server which is connected to a Mac Mini running Security Spy software....

Aha, I remember that episode now. I'll be in touch mate

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You also have to make sure that your camera isn't facing any public areas or neighbours property or the camera can cease to be for private use and technically by law has to be registered with the ICO.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Information Commissioner's Office, they deal with data protection etc

It seems like absolute overkill. But the truth is if you positioned your camera and it showed a public area, if somebody complained to the ICO you could get fined for not registering. There's also a fee to register. So from the point of view of the person putting up the camera, it'll probably just save them any headaches if they make sure it only records their property.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

This with huge nobs on. I also run Security Spy of a mac mini with two IR Cameras Front and Rear.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This with huge nobs on. I also run Security Spy of a mac mini with two IR Cameras Front and Rear.

Did you upgrade the software yet? My mac mini is a 2006 version so won't support the version of OSX that is required for the upgrade, just wondered if it's worth while?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Roughly how much does a system cost?

Piece of string job, you can buy a package from Maplins for < £200 plus installation and cabling. Mine probably cost about £800 inclusive. You should be able to do something very effective within this range.

Are there compelling reasons not to use wifi?

Pros and cons to whatever you do. Probably the biggest problem with IP cameras is that they require significantly more maintenance than an analogue camera in that they are network attached devices and so do require a degree of technical know how to keep them up and running. I actually don't know why you would choose Wireless to be honest as you still have to run power to the camera so it would probably be simpler to get a PoE (power over ethernet) solution if you went down this route.

There's a really good article here http://www.aventuracctv.com/analog_vs_ip/ that compares the two, it is a bit technical at times but pretty unbiased.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Pros and cons to whatever you do. Probably the biggest problem with IP cameras is that they require significantly more maintenance than an analogue camera in that they are network attached devices and so do require a degree of technical know how to keep them up and running. I actually don't know why you would choose Wireless to be honest as you still have to run power to the camera so it would probably be simpler to get a PoE (power over ethernet) solution if you went down this route.

There's a really good article here http://www.aventuracctv.com/analog_vs_ip/ that compares the two, it is a bit technical at times but pretty unbiased.

Thanks for the answer and for the link. Being ignorant, I'd choose wireless because I only have to get power to the cameras rather than have to physically connect them to a (remote) hub. I have 13 amp sockets all over my new place, so access to them w/be easy - getting cables, whether ethernet or PoE from four (roughly) cameras to one router location will involve drilling holes through walls and having surface mounted cabling along walls/skirting boards. Not an issue for you?? If I was installing in a new build, I'd definitely go wired, but if the signal strength is good enough, I'm bemused why anyone would choose wired over wireless in a retrofit situation. Genuinely not having a pop here, just puzzled...

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Lovely [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] big help that.

I'm in a similar situation where thinking of home CCTV but would want WiFi as my house has just been renovated and we were silly and didn't spec this in. I have a power socket where I'd like the camera to go, inside but looking out towards the garage where the expensive car and bikes are kept. WiFi that records to the cloud and I can look at it via an iOS/OSX device would be ideal.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have two CCTV systems, the one in Glasgow is a remote accessed and controlled day/night unit from MIPC. It cost 75 quid (got a reduced deal from about 150) and sits inside the house peering out over my front door access area. it has remote control, so I can look at the inside or outside remotely. I can hear what is going on and can also speak via an integral loudspeaker. An SD provides 30 second motion videoing and I can also save onto a remote desktop. Cracking unit, the only gripe being that the 20v AC/12vDC power pack comes with only a 1m lead, which is pretty useless. Also I can;t get the wireless comms working so have a Cat 5 cable connected to the router.
For my holiday cottage I have a Canary, which works better that Deliah's outfit! It sits inside and looks like the Amazon echo only smaller. It also have a temperature,humidity and air quality sensor and videos 30 seconds footage when in away mode. It is really neat and ultra high quality video image (wide angle).

Peace of mind for sure.

TNBA

TTF

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Did you upgrade the software yet? My mac mini is a 2006 version so won't support the version of OSX that is required for the upgrade, just wondered if it's worth while?

to be perfectly honest no it isn't - its been updated to include support for newer devices. it runs slightly faster and requires less cpu, but its not worth upgrading your mac mini for it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here