Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's world cup

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
wow. This thread really has brought out the backwards 1970's NSC community hasn't it. Not sure if they are all serious tbh, but it's massively out of date at surface level.

I've sat here and watched the opening game with my ten year old daughter. She's a troubled kid, and football is her outlet. She loves it, and is better than me by miles. I've not doubt that she could turn the majority of posters on this thread inside out and leave you on your arses. Seeing the WWC, to her, is hope and opportunity. Vindication that she is not alone in her passion for the game. I repeat, she's 10 years old. Try telling her that it doesn't matter. By casting ill will and negative comments on either the standard of play or the validity of the sport at all, you're basically pissing on her dream. So i say, with no remorse, **** you all.
The game's growing, the standards improving immeasurably by the day, and the balls only just started rolling.

If the lionesses deliver no-one will be questioning women’s football. Big if though, going on previous tournaments. Much like the chaps.

D

Deleted member 22389

Wanted to try and get in to this, started watching but found it so slow and boring.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why do people think it will grow and grow? Someone posted the league stats for European football last week and all the attendances had dropped hugely from a high several years ago. It seems that interest is waning, perhaps the world Cup will reignite enthusiasm? But like Beach Seagull, I haven't heard a single person, including kids, mention the world Cup and I work in a soccer mad school . Except on the bbc.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I think women's goal posts should reflect the differences in average height between the sexes.

Let's say women, on average, are 6% shorter than men, then the goals should reflect that by being half a foot lower and the posts a foot and a half closer together.

I think we can take this further. Given how short Maty Ryan is, maybe we should defend a smaller goal than oppositions with taller keepers!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Why do people think it will grow and grow? Someone posted the league stats for European football last week and all the attendances had dropped hugely from a high several years ago.

Here's a link to the article from March 2019 which contains the details of falling attendances at domestic fixtures in France, Italy, Germany and Spain over the last few years.

https://www.dw.com/en/empty-seats-the-worrying-reality-of-womens-football-across-europe/a-48006356

"While there's no denying women's football is growing in myriad ways, reaching new audiences globally and inspiring more young women than ever to join local clubs, figures from across the continent cast a concerning light on the state of the game on professional domestic level.

Grumblings about the pay gap between male and female footballers are well founded given the extremity of the disparity, but many believe things aren't going to change until fans can be persuaded to put their hands in their pockets for domestic league matches.

Sellouts and 60,000 crowds are a nice headline. But until things improve for clubs across Europe on a weekly basis, that seems to be all they are."

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Here's a link to the article from March 2019 which contains the details of falling attendances at domestic fixtures in France, Italy, Germany and Spain over the last few years.

https://www.dw.com/en/empty-seats-the-worrying-reality-of-womens-football-across-europe/a-48006356

"While there's no denying women's football is growing in myriad ways, reaching new audiences globally and inspiring more young women than ever to join local clubs, figures from across the continent cast a concerning light on the state of the game on professional domestic level.

Grumblings about the pay gap between male and female footballers are well founded given the extremity of the disparity, but many believe things aren't going to change until fans can be persuaded to put their hands in their pockets for domestic league matches.

Sellouts and 60,000 crowds are a nice headline. But until things improve for clubs across Europe on a weekly basis, that seems to be all they are."

I wonder how they can engender the kind of tribalistic feeling one gets from supporting a particular team? That kind of feeling is probably hard to manufacture in the way BBC is desperately trying. Looking at some of the women around at the Amex, I would suggest there is little if any difference in their passion for the game or the Albion compared to male fans. I wonder if football has hit a kind of saturation point as a mass spectator sport? It is very different to the tennis for example, where often people pay to watch a one off day in a competition lasting a week or two. The commitment to travel, pay and watch a team over a season is another kettle of fish altogether. Maybe women, who probably are the target group the sport most needs to reach in terms of bums on seats, are already too invested in the man's game?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a huge difference between denigrating women's football because it is less easy on the eye than men's football and denigrating it because it is women. I watched some of it yesterday and the standard to my eye was way below Conference level. That isn't sufficiently low to stop me watching, however (the conference playoff games were great fun this season). I get the feeling that most people who aren't interested in the WWC share similar lack of interest in ligue 1 and lower mens' football. Even Championship these days, perhaps. That is perfectly fine by me. Each to his/her own.

On the other hand I don't really see much defending of the WWC on the grounds that it really is top level football and merely 'different' from the men's elite game owing to the different physical attributes of women. It is football. That's it. It is either sufficiently entertaining to have you engage, or not. It does not get any more entertaining by pretending it is something it isn't. I'd say the same about paralympics (which I also watch and enjoy).

Either extreme stance (it is women so it is crap, or, it is women so it is equal to the men's game) seems to be a thing of the past, by and large (haven't read the whole thread and am not going to do so for fear of disappointment). This is a huge improvement on 15 years ago when (I recall) one side was claiming everything is 'equal' and the other side was claiming nothing is equal.

Hey ho.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
If you don’t like it then don’t watch it, if you do then crack on. I don’t like it so I don’t watch it. I find it bizarre that people would continue to watch something they clearly don’t enjoy, waste of time.

The only thing I have an opinion on is the quite frankly ridiculous statements that women should have pay equality to men in football, seriously? Hope Solo is either deluded or I expect has an agenda (as do the BBC). If it was not for the mens game subsidising this tournament it would be on Hackney marshes. I have no problem with money from the men’s game doing this but until women’s football is commercially self-sustaining the comments about pay are ludicrous and actually harm the women’s game IMO.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I am surprised and saddened that many on here still talk about women's football in such a disparaging way. It may not yet be at the standard of the men's game, but on the plus side, when they run and jump about you can see their BOOBS wobble.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Oops! Popp nearly went pop for Germany in a challenge by the Chinese goalkeeper.

Good, enjoyable game with the Germans dominating although China missed an open goal. That's not an innuendo. :blush:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've never seen a half with so many injuries. Must be at least five minutes stoppage time of this fragmented match. Very physical.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the standard is poor in comparison to the mens game but we shouldnt be comparing the two but none the less it is quite entertaining.and I have enjoyed watching it.

boik

I enjoy watching football played without the cynicism that exists at the top of the mens game. No diving, dissent, shirt-pulling etc. Unfortunately, I have no doubt that it will creep into the womens game as the money increases.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Low quality minority sport that gets way more coverage than it should. I've yet to meet one person who is interested in it and yet the BBC are wetting themselves with excitement over it. I sincerely hope the England team absolutely bomb and are out after 2 games. If they do progress we won't hear the last of 'the rise of women's football' / 'the prima donna males coud learn a lot from them' etc.

It gets more coverage because the men's game has prostituted itself to the 'pay to view ' channels. There is a lot to admire in women's football especially the way they don't roll around as though they have been hit by an axe and there appears to be a lot less cheating.

Regards quality, it is improving rapidly, though it might be bound by some physical limitations i.e. 6'5 in keepers and centre halves are going to be few and far between at the moment. But it will develop in the same way the men's game has if you compare men's football of 40 years ago and now they are quite different with modern footballers being a lot more athletic .

The only thing that puts me off about watching it is that horrible crap music really need 3 Lions or Nessun Dorma.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Norway are up tonight, come on the future World Champions!!!

PS - No idea how good they are, but feel the need to cheer on my sweepstake team :O

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Argentinian women almost have a full team with tattoos on their arms.

Good match. I think Japan could win the World Cup and their record is decent.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Fifa says 14 of 52 Women's World Cup matches have sold out, having previously said it was 20 and claiming tickets were only available for a "few matches".

Only two of nine matches have reached capacity - France's opening win over South Korea in Paris (45,261) and Brazil's victory against Jamaica in Grenoble (17,668).

But there has been confusion after England's opener against Scotland was being billed as close to sold out, but only 13,188 fans attended.

The match was held at the 35,100-capacity Stade de Nice, meaning it was only 37% full."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48598966

This was the scene before kickoff in Le Havre for the Netherlands v New Zealand game.

The capacity is 25,181 - the attendance is reported as 10,654.

netherlands v nz.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Fifa says 14 of 52 Women's World Cup matches have sold out, having previously said it was 20 and claiming tickets were only available for a "few matches".

Only two of nine matches have reached capacity - France's opening win over South Korea in Paris (45,261) and Brazil's victory against Jamaica in Grenoble (17,668).

But there has been confusion after England's opener against Scotland was being billed as close to sold out, but only 13,188 fans attended.

The match was held at the 35,100-capacity Stade de Nice, meaning it was only 37% full."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48598966

This was the scene before kickoff in Le Havre for the Netherlands v New Zealand game.

The capacity is 25,181 - the attendance is reported as 10,654.

View attachment 111191

I was hearing that one of the issues in the disappointing attendances is that there is no POTG. Tickets HAD to be purchased online in advance, but the culture in France is that fans like (and have had) opportunities just to rock up at the stadium and pay to get in.

If ticket sales are poor, its a nonsense not to allow this so that the locals can take in a game at short notice. I gather the pricing is decent, €10 for many adult tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here