Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reece James

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely outstanding season for Wigan, voted their Player of the Year, and made the Championship team of the season. Fans of other Championship clubs have been raving about him.

Sadly I fear Chelsea won't let him go, or we'll be usurped by another club (Palace, if they sell Wan-Bissaka? Bournemouth? Looks very much Eddie Howe's sort of player) but I think he'd be a brilliant signing if we somehow managed to get him. Young, quick, talented: if we want to follow the model of clubs playing more expansive football, then pace (or, the ability to change the tempo of a game) is where we are sorely lacking. I'd love to think the Ashworth connection could pull a few strings, but it seems a big ask right now.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Reece James is absolutely outstanding. Think there was whoscored metric a while back as well, that showed him so far ahead of Championship contemporaries that it was ridiculous. I don't think we'd get him for much less than £20m- if he even wanted to come here. Suspicion that he'll end next year as Chelsea's starting RB to be honest.

Using the example of Ake going to Bournemouth for £20m a couple of years ago I don't think you're far wrong with that price although Ake did have loan experience in the Prem, which might be the more likely option if we were to try and bring him in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Using the example of Ake going to Bournemouth for £20m a couple of years ago I don't think you're far wrong with that price although Ake did have loan experience in the Prem, which might be the more likely option if we were to try and bring him in.

Chelsea are in the Champions League for another season and they already have a number of talented youngsters that are likely to get game time - Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, plus they may recall Tammy Abraham; Tomori and Mason Mount. That's a lot of young players in/around the first team, so an Ake-style Prem loan deal for Reece James in 2019/20 makes sense.

We need to get this lad, he is seriously good.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l03ATVgITHA

He's looked good whenever I have been able to watch him...pretty consistent with his crossings, maybe a tad fortunate defensively at times. No question at 19 he'd be a solid investment. Better than Tomori in my view.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Absolutely outstanding season for Wigan, voted their Player of the Year, and made the Championship team of the season. Fans of other Championship clubs have been raving about him.

Sadly I fear Chelsea won't let him go, or we'll be usurped by another club (Palace, if they sell Wan-Bissaka? Bournemouth? Looks very much Eddie Howe's sort of player) but I think he'd be a brilliant signing if we somehow managed to get him. Young, quick, talented: if we want to follow the model of clubs playing more expansive football, then pace (or, the ability to change the tempo of a game) is where we are sorely lacking. I'd love to think the Ashworth connection could pull a few strings, but it seems a big ask right now.

It's surely for scenarios like this that Ashworth has been brought in. I'd like to throw a more optimistic spin on it than you, and will suggest that we've just leapfrogged over Eddie and Palace on such players, but the key will be what Chelsea view for his future, and these are the likeliest options: keep for the first team squad; loan out to a PL club for a season; sell if the right offer comes in, and the player really wants to go.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
It's surely for scenarios like this that Ashworth has been brought in. I'd like to throw a more optimistic spin on it than you, and will suggest that we've just leapfrogged over Eddie and Palace on such players, but the key will be what Chelsea view for his future, and these are the likeliest options: keep for the first team squad; loan out to a PL club for a season; sell if the right offer comes in, and the player really wants to go.

Agreed. The Ashworth era will bring interesting developments, but of course, a balance has to be struck between investing in potential and addressing more immediate concerns. Players who meet these criteria (Homegrown, young, with high potential) are going to be a big part of our strategy now, we showed considerable interest in Solanke before we decided against a deal and he ended up at Bournemouth. Possibly because, as I have been made aware, there is a different target higher up on our wishlist.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Agreed. The Ashworth era will bring interesting developments, but of course, a balance has to be struck between investing in potential and addressing more immediate concerns. Players who meet these criteria (Homegrown, young, with high potential) are going to be a big part of our strategy now, we showed considerable interest in Solanke before we decided against a deal and he ended up at Bournemouth. Possibly because, as I have been made aware, there is a different target higher up on our wishlist.

Reiss Nelson?

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Reiss Nelson?

Would be a very good/promising signing, especially as a permanent transfer. Done well at Hoffenheim after a slowish start. Not someone that I am aware we are definitely interested in however.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I thought Solanke would be good for us, but 7 appearances and 0 goals since signing for Bournemouth suggests we may have dodged an expensive bullet, at least as we needed a goalscorer afte Christmas.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Interesting. Thanks for this.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Would be a very good/promising signing, especially as a permanent transfer. Done well at Hoffenheim after a slowish start. Not someone that I am aware we are definitely interested in however.

Played left wing and scored against us for Arsenal in last season's PL2.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we are going to Chelsea what about Tomori on loan at Derby or Kurt Zuma on loan at Everton?

With a transfer embargo, Cahill out of favour with Sarri and Zouma a fan's favourite at Everton it is a no brainer for Chelsea to recall him. Derby have been playing Tomori at CB not RB, I think CB is his best position and that's not our priority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here