Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southampton sack Hughes

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Looks like they are being strongly linked with Ralph Hasenhüttl, the man who took RB Leipzig from 2nd div strugglers to Bundesliga runners up in 2 years.

On the face of it, that could well be a very bad appointment for the rest of us.

RB Leipzig are detested in Germany. Their budget is obscene and it would have been difficult not to be successful.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Looks like they are being strongly linked with Ralph Hasenhüttl, the man who took RB Leipzig from 2nd div strugglers to Bundesliga runners up in 2 years.

On the face of it, that could well be a very bad appointment for the rest of us.

SSN reporting that Ralph has agreed to take the job. He may be a wundercoach but with no EPL experience, a big gamble given their precariousness.

Happy with that!

PG

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
SSN reporting that Ralph has agreed to take the job. He may be a wundercoach but with no EPL experience, a big gamble given their precariousness.

Happy with that!

PG
But isn't that the attitude that has led to the tedious managerial merry go round featuring various shithouse usual suspects?

The idea that he can't do the job because he hasn't worked in the EPL feels like a silly argument to me. I think he probably could you know. If only there were successful Bundesliga managers who have come over and been reasonably successful here eh?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Their academy has stopped turning out superstars which hasn’t helped, also their owner/benefactor died (a while back) which caused upheaval. Both of these things have contributed I guess.

Selling your best players ( usually to Liverpool) season on season is a recipe for relegation. You can get away with it for one or two seasons, but, then it will catch up with you.

Liverpool will be looking for a new feeder club now.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
But isn't that the attitude that has led to the tedious managerial merry go round featuring various shithouse usual suspects?

The idea that he can't do the job because he hasn't worked in the EPL feels like a silly argument to me. I think he probably could you know. If only there were successful Bundesliga managers who have come over and been reasonably successful here eh?

I think that's easy to say when it's not our team who are in the relegation zone! I am not saying he won't succeed, just that it looks like a big gamble. Klopp was proven at Dortmund and has done ok at Liverpool (but not won the League which would have been his brief). Wagner came in to a lower mid-table Championship team and has had amazing results, sure. But it's quite a different proposition coming in to a team in Saints position. I think they will be ok - they have a lot of talented players and there are 4 teams odds-on to drop.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that's easy to say when it's not our team who are in the relegation zone! I am not saying he won't succeed, just that it looks like a big gamble. Klopp was proven at Dortmund and has done ok at Liverpool (but not won the League which would have been his brief). Wagner came in to a lower mid-table Championship team and has had amazing results, sure. But it's quite a different proposition coming in to a team in Saints position. I think they will be ok - they have a lot of talented players and there are 4 teams odds-on to drop.

It's only a different proposition if you believe Southampton are in a genuine position.

FWIW (fook all) I'd take any person over Hughes as Saints manager, therefore Saints will be better.
Quite how anyone can dismiss an 'unknown' German to replace Hughes is beyond me.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ralph Hasenhuttl is favourite apparently... no I don't know either.

If there's truth in this it sounds like a less short-termist and less safe appointment than I was expecting. It might work out or not, the only thing I would say is that Southampton should have enough about them to have a good punt of getting out of trouble. They've got some decent players and all that's needed is someone with the mentality to get them over the finish line in matches

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1069646516636315648[/tweet]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Like Sami Hyypia you mean?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Plus the fact that the Southampton fans all detest him, of course.

Was it not he who actually took Saints down from the Premier league in the first place, having previously been at Portsmouth...…

…….. this resulting in the message being seen scrawled in the mud on the back of a white van in Portsmouth: "Come home agent Redknapp. Your work is done".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here