Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] 'Storm' Freya - What a load of bloody nonsense

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was the windiest night I ever experienced though, whatever you call it.

The Great Storm of 1987.

beaufort-wind-scale-chart.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Beast from the east didn't affect Cornwall? Best snow I've seen in decades. We had to abandon our car that first morning

That's right.
I have lived down here for 16 years and for the first time we had 2 snowfalls that settled and hung around for a few days due to low temperatures.
Before that we have had 2 snowfalls over 15 years but one of them melted after 3 hours or so.
I was saying that it was stupid and typical to name it and to call it ' the beast from the east' it was no more than a prolonged cold spell.
Try comparing it to Chicago and the mid west a couple of months ago.
Expect to see a reporter on breakfast TV pointing at a fallen tree, which makes a change from standing in a field with a sprinkling of snow.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
That's easy for you to say from the safety of Cornwall. I got stuck in Rosyth by the beast from the East. I can assure you is was a thing!

See above.
It's the naming of weather that makes me cringe and the way we go so over the top, heat, cold or wind.
The only exception being the ' hurricane' that was exceptional weather.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I hate the way we've named the weather and made it news.

It's a bit windy and I'll probably put the recycling out tomorrow instead of tonight.
It's not exactly Nelson Mandela being released is it?

That would be very big news.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just been outside and it is very still and mild.
But just seen the weather forecast and part 2 should be here shortly with high wind and rain.
Looks like Wales got it worse than Cornwall.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
See above.
It's the naming of weather that makes me cringe and the way we go so over the top, heat, cold or wind.
The only exception being the ' hurricane' that was exceptional weather.
Exactly. The only extreme weather we’ve really had in past 40 years is the hurricane. Every other claim is just a load of hot air.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We had some rolling thunder a couple of hours ago and it’s been lashing down with rain as well as being windy. This is normal for a seaside town in March.

We have all come out of the cellar and got grandma out of her protective case. Looks like we made it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Met Office got their arse burnt after the Michael Fish incident so now, it's over cautious all the way.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
The BBC don't use the Met Office any more.

What, do you mean like the hurricane in 1987.
Talk about the weather always makes me laugh in this country, beast from the east my arse.
It was supposed to be bad down here in Cornwall and Devon but it really was not as bad as they said.
And they always show pictures of waves crashing at Porthleven, but at high tide the sea is right up to the sea wall and bottom of the cliffs so when a storm hits the waves always dramatically crash up and over everything.
It was horrific in Okehampton - you get completely different weather in Plymouth. Often when it's raining at my in laws we head down your way for some sunshine.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Beast from the east didn't affect Cornwall? Best snow I've seen in decades. We had to abandon our car that first morning

That's right.
I have lived down here for 16 years and for the first time we had 2 snowfalls that settled and hung around for a few days due to low temperatures.
Before that we have had 2 snowfalls over 15 years but one of them melted after 3 hours or so.
I was saying that it was stupid and typical to name it and to call it ' the beast from the east' it was no more than a prolonged cold spell.
Try comparing it to Chicago and the mid west a couple of months ago.
Expect to see a reporter on breakfast TV pointing at a fallen tree, which makes a change from standing in a field with a sprinkling of snow.

I’d say the Beast from the East, whilst a silly name, was an extraordinary weather event for this country. I agree that “Storm Doris” for a bit of strong wind is pathetic.

I’d initially reacted as I thought you were saying the BftE was a non-event, when it’s the only time I can recall not being able to travel anywhere for more than 24 hours in my lifetime.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It can get exceptionally windy on the stretch of coast between Shoreham and Worthing. One of the windiest stretches of coast in Europe apparently. That’s what makes it one of the best places in the world to kitesurf.
When it gets up there and the balcony doors flex and warp it can get quite unnerving and seeing the water in the toilet bowl getting sucked in and out by the force of the wind outside still amuses me to this day.

However, we have survived so far.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It can get exceptionally windy on the stretch of coast between Shoreham and Worthing. One of the windiest stretches of coast in Europe apparently. That’s what makes it one of the best places in the world to kitesurf.
When it gets up there and the balcony doors flex and warp it can get quite unnerving and seeing the water in the toilet bowl getting sucked in and out by the force of the wind outside still amuses me to this day.

However, we have survived so far.

Having cycled to work in Goring in the past I can confirm this. I can also confirm that the ******* wind is never going in the same direction you are cycling.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
During the night it was very windy on our part of the West Sussex coast and has caused a bit of a mess with upturned bins etc.
We live 50 yards from the sea so it is to be expected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just nipped out to get my bike from the shed to cycle to Fav station and below is what I found. Why did nobody warn me we were in for a storm? ??? :rant: B'stards!

destroyed_shed_large.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here