Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought when he was out a while ago it showed how much we miss him.

Was that the post red card 3 game period where we amassed 7 points and started a down turn when he returned?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stephens is vital to us.

I think the style and position he plays in is vital to the team. I don’t think he is though; if we are to do better next season he should be upgraded.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
MotM yesterday by some distance. How anybody could be blind to the amount of times he pressed, broke up their play and turned over possession is beyond my understanding.

Love the way that he gets criticised for not taking risks, when it is obvious he is instructed not to based on where he plays on the pitch, yet distributed some of the best passes of the match regardless.

He is obviously not beyond replacing, but with only a handful of others he has been ever present in this club's upward trajectory over 4 seasons. Careful what you wish for.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the style and position he plays in is vital to the team. I don’t think he is though; if we are to do better next season he should be upgraded.

Priority has to be centre forward. I’d actually have down my list of who needs upgrading in the summer. Right back ahead too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
MotM yesterday by some distance. How anybody could be blind to the amount of times he pressed, broke up their play and turned over possession is beyond my understanding.

Love the way that he gets criticised for not taking risks, when it is obvious he is instructed not to based on where he plays on the pitch, yet distributed some of the best passes of the match regardless.

He is obviously not beyond replacing, but with only a handful of others he has been ever present in this club's upward trajectory over 4 seasons. Careful what you wish for.

Problem is that many fans decide a player is shit/not up to it and then absolutely refuse to change that opinion regardless of how well the player plays in subsequent games. Stephens, Bong and Locadia always seem to get shit reviews from the same fans after every game, regardless

It is very easy to end up looking like a complete mug taking this approach though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Priority has to be centre forward. I’d actually have down my list of who needs upgrading in the summer. Right back ahead too.

I agree scoring goals is key. But we have conceded a hell of a lot this season so I feel it’s a position we need to review in light of this.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Whilst I agree with the general principle that we need Stephens to play that midfield rock role and that he usually does that well I thought that we needed to push and press against Huddersfield and that, for me, Stephens was far too cautious yesterday. The pace and progression that was evident after the substitutions was vital to getting that goal and I was glad Kayal was brought on and would have gladly seen Stephens subbed for him.

When it looked like Stephens was going to go I desperately wanted him to stay and that remains the case overall, but I just think he needs to take the lead in motivating the push, the press, the progression, the closing down. When we play like that it’s then that we seem so much better.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
God this AGAIN! Are people that bloody thick that they can’t see a midfield needs someone to sit, protect the defence and let others play? It absolutely beggars belief.

Kante played Stephens role for Chelsea and Leicester for the last three seasons. He played 106 games and scored 3 goals. Does that make him crap?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I believe CH needs to let the safety net go he feels by playing a majority of the team that gained promotion. A RB CM and striker/s are a priority if we stay up

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
God this AGAIN! Are people that bloody thick that they can’t see a midfield needs someone to sit, protect the defence and let others play? It absolutely beggars belief.
This thread is about the player though, not just the position he plays. For me he gives the ball away too often so IMO we could do with someone who does that less.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A lot of football fans judge players on how many sexy skills they can show on the ball. It’s true, Stephens is slow on the ball, rarely passes forwards and never looks like scoring. But on the rare occasions he’s not there we look a lot weaker. Even the top teams look exposed without a physical, nasty ball winner so why would we be any different? If we don’t play Stephens we would have to play Kayal as Propper and Bissouma are not tough or disciplined enough for the role - and Stephens is a LOT better than Kayal. Still one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Disagree Propper has played the deep lying role and done well. He certainly wouldn’t have surrendered the Cardiff away game in that second touch a tackle mode

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disagree Propper has played the deep lying role and done well. He certainly wouldn’t have surrendered the Cardiff away game in that second touch a tackle mode

Propper hasn’t got the steel and positional awareness to simply shield the defence all day long and passing it simple. Plus every team requires a Stephens or two to avoid being bullied out of games. No wonder the Albion’s players rate DS highly.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
54 passes against Leicester. 92% accuracy, so 90% accuracy this week but he gives the ball away too much?

Thank god Hughton picks the side, not half of you lot. One of the first names on the teamsheet and rightly so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread is about the player though, not just the position he plays. For me he gives the ball away too often so IMO we could do with someone who does that less.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Totally agree. Most of us understand and see value in the role Stephens plays....it more that we want someone with more dynamism and ability than Stephens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here