Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mr Attwell, The Referee

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He also said we should have had TWO penalties.

We should. I was already annoyed at the first one being ignored. I can take losing a match when we've been outplayed by skill, but I cannot deal with blatant cheating.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Tom Heaton spent 70 minutes taking the piss out of him, most notably when rather than booking him he ran 50 yards to have a minute long chat with him.
That made my piss boil. Wasted 90 seconds to have a chat about time wasting then let Heaton do exactly as he liked for the rest of the game. Awful refereeing and gave Burnley several helping hands in their time wasting

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I thought three penalties. Two obvious and one that you have seen given. Commentator seemed to think their penalty shouldn't have been given also as the advantage had been played and Wood missed the shot.

If this games wasn't a solid argument for VAR I don't know what is?
Interesting discussion on their penalty. Either he played advantage or took a long time to decide it was a foul. This isn’t rugby where you keep an advantage which means you can go for glory safe in the knowledge you’ll get a penalty anyway.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Just watched it on MOTD.

The Burnley penalty shouldn’t have been given for 3 reasons. The obvious penalty for us in the first place, Barnes is offside when he raced through, its tight , but he is offside, and Attwell plays advantage when Ryan fouls Barnes and Wood misses. It should be a goal kick.

Impressive refereeing to make 3 huge mistakes, in 1 goal.
The lino was SO far behind play it was embarrassing. So he couldn't have flagged Barnes off. Absolute tit of a lino

el punal

Well, that penalty decision could have been absolutely crucial.... 2-1 turned into 3-0 in a blink of an eye.

Amazing how they can use a video replay to reverse a corner decision but not for a clear handball in the box...........

Incompetent in the extreme. On two occasions he stopped play, when we were attacking, for alleged head injuries to Burnley players - everyone in the ground could see that he’d been conned. His acceptance of time wasting by Burnley players was farcical. But, the icing on the cake, has to be how he missed the blatant penalty when we were 2-0 down. Had that been awarded, and we scored, would have totally changed the course of the game.

Now I accept we were playing poorly and luck was definitely not our side. I accept that over a season good and bad fortune determines the outcome of a game. What I can’t accept is when the match officials themselves put in such a dire performance that their actions alone contribute to one team winning unfairly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He first really wound me up with the corner he gave then reversed after ages. It was the right decision in the end but why did he do it? Can only have been from the 4th official watching a replay. Begs the question that if that's OK, then why not do the same for our penalty. Whatever.

Truth is some refs don't want to have their names dragged around the media for days after the game. Certain managers scare them, Dyche is one. Scares me.... :D

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The officials missed several barn door obvious decisions and countless obvious throw ins and hand balls that were given the wrong way for both teams. They weren't shown on motd, understandably. It would be easier to take if these officials were held to account, but that just won't happen.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The lino was SO far behind play it was embarrassing. So he couldn't have flagged Barnes off. Absolute tit of a lino

Have to disagree re Barnes. When I freeze framed it, looked like he was in his own half. Perfect run. Unfortunately

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Having now seen the main penalty decision again after a 13 hour return trip and a calming down period, I can’t imagine any scenario where both the officials didn’t see it other than they were Burnley fans , I’m not even joking, for me it’s the most blatant not given penalty I have ever seen , there’s simply no excuse for it not to be given , one other thing that should be noted seeing as we lost a player with a blatant elbow last week is Tarkwovski’s elbow into the back of Murray’s head should be looked at by the FA he knew exactly what he was doing , the ref apparently saw it and told him not to do it again ! I think we’ve been stitched up on the official side of things but you can’t deny how superb Heaton was , I hope I never witness another game with such bad officiating and excellent opponent goalkeeping ever again .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having just watched MOTD I am n ot convinced that Burneys penalty was correct. I think that Ryan went to ground to try to get the ball and Barnes went over him so a dive. VAR cant come soon enough for me.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Barnes was not offside for number 2 either, he was just in the Burnley half when the pass was played

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Having now seen the main penalty decision again after a 13 hour return trip and a calming down period, I can’t imagine any scenario where both the officials didn’t see it other than they were Burnley fans , I’m not even joking, for me it’s the most blatant not given penalty I have ever seen , there’s simply no excuse for it not to be given , one other thing that should be noted seeing as we lost a player with a blatant elbow last week is Tarkwovski’s elbow into the back of Murray’s head should be looked at by the FA he knew exactly what he was doing , the ref apparently saw it and told him not to do it again ! I think we’ve been stitched up on the official side of things but you can’t deny how superb Heaton was , I hope I never witness another game with such bad officiating and excellent opponent goalkeeping ever again .

I agree. The decision making was so poor that some may even question if it was intentional or not. Let’s hope not, our game needs to be out of the reach of the Asian betting markets. History has given us examples though

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Aye ..lost in the furore over the 'penalty'..how he escaped even a yellow is beyond me

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Barnes was not offside for number 2 either, he was just in the Burnley half when the pass was played

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Absolutely perfect run.

Capture.PNG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm looking forward to see how skilfully MOTD will gloss over it tonight, and I'm even more excited about watching Dermot Gallagher justifying it as perfectly correct on Ref Watch on SSN on Monday!

When is this shown as I cannot find it in the TV listings in the mag or on line?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here