Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fine - but 52% of us don't want to join (or stay in) the golf club.

Although they seem to want the nice networking and marketing opportunities that membership of the golf club brings...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Although they seem to want the nice networking and marketing opportunities that membership of the golf club brings...

Some of us are multi-cultural,and don't like the all-white boys club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You mean a single market that worked using imperial measures in the UK for loose goods up to 2000 - so a whole 27 years !!!! And it was SO important that the EU got it's way that people were convicted of criminal offences. Thankfully the EU bullies never got their way as in 2007 they ditched the demand to display measures in metric only. I can't imagine how the single market is going to do a trade deal with the USA if it's such a problem to trade in imperial. God help the EU now they've done a deal with Japan - those measurements will cause them to have heart attacks. Trying to force the UK to go metric was unnecessary, counter productive and nothing short of the great EU machine wanting control over everything. Good riddance to it.

Absolute rubbish. We abolished old currency in favour of decimalisation in 1971 - it was relatively painless because the new system was so easy to understand and teach.

However, the UK wasted the opportunity to do the same with imperial measurement - a big error.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Absolute rubbish. We abolished old currency in favour of decimalisation in 1971 - it was relatively painless because the new system was so easy to understand and teach.

However, the UK wasted the opportunity to do the same with imperial measurement - a big error.

I'm not sure where everyone else went to school, but I was taught metric measurements (in Brighton) in the late 1960s and early 1970s. We weren't even in the EEC then. Granted I was also taught imperial to an extent and am bilingual in it, but my wife and younger sister who are only a couple of years younger than me were only taught metric, no imperial.

All this talk about "new-fangled foreign measurements" being foisted upon us is utter head-in-the-sand bullshit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I can't imagine how the single market is going to do a trade deal with the USA if it's such a problem to trade in imperial. God help the EU now they've done a deal with Japan - those measurements will cause them to have heart attacks.

You may not understand the difference between being in a single market and 'doing a trade deal'. To work most effectively, the former requires harmonisation of standards. The latter doesn't.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All this talk about "new-fangled foreign measurements" being foisted upon us is utter head-in-the-sand bullshit.

The problem, if you can take your Europhile goggles off for a few seconds, is that nobody tried to make using imperial measures illegal until the EU bureaucratic control freaks muscled in.
Metric measures were taught in schools before that; they were in common use in physics and chemistry. It was a mutually agreed convention in science, in the same way that, for instance, English is the standard language in air traffic control - but it doesn't try to stop people using their native language in day-to-day life.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The problem, if you can take your Europhile goggles off for a few seconds, is that nobody tried to make using imperial measures illegal until the EU bureaucratic control freaks muscled in.
Metric measures were taught in schools before that; they were in common use in physics and chemistry. It was a mutually agreed convention in science, in the same way that, for instance, English is the standard language in air traffic control - but it doesn't try to stop people using their native language in day-to-day life.
Imperial measures are not illegal, it's just that metric must be used in displaying prices, you are perfectly free to use them in your day to day life.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Imperial measures are not illegal, it's just that metric must be used in displaying prices, you are perfectly free to use them in your day to day life.
I know they're not. They were, for a while, because the Brussels bullies forced us to pass laws to that effect. Market traders were fined, and even in a few cases I believe, sent to prison. In this country. By British courts. Fortunately, for once the UK Government temporarily grew a spine, and the law is now no longer enforced (technically I think it might still exist - any lawyers about with a definitive answer to that?)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see the EU has today agreed to a free trade deal with Japan. We were told by Leave that only by unshackling ourselves from the EU could we seek the free trade deals British manufacturers were crying out for, and all the time it turns out an EU free trade deal with the 3rd largest economy in the world was imminent after 3 years of talks starting back in March 2013. What idiot - apart from you - WOULDN'T want to be in this golf club?

Already 61% of our trade is with the EU or countries that EU has a free trade deal with. Yeah is its a crap club and getting crappier

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You mean a single market that worked using imperial measures in the UK for loose goods up to 2000 - so a whole 27 years !!!! And it was SO important that the EU got it's way that people were convicted of criminal offences. Thankfully the EU bullies never got their way as in 2007 they ditched the demand to display measures in metric only. I can't imagine how the single market is going to do a trade deal with the USA if it's such a problem to trade in imperial. God help the EU now they've done a deal with Japan - those measurements will cause them to have heart attacks. Trying to force the UK to go metric was unnecessary, counter productive and nothing short of the great EU machine wanting control over everything. Good riddance to it.

The yanks are starting to use metric measurements more, it is the international standard.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Already 61% of our trade is with the EU or countries that EU has a free trade deal with. Yeah is its a crap club and getting crappier

Yes, it is now, but once we leave that is 61% of our trade that is no longer 'free' trade.

After 2019 what chance have our dairy farmers got selling to Japan now they can buy tariff-free from the EU?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes, it is now, but once we leave that is 61% of our trade that is no longer 'free' trade.

After 2019 what chance have our dairy farmers got selling to Japan now they can buy tariff-free from the EU?

No it isnt, [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION] put his own spin on it, 44% of our export market go to countries within the EU whilst 53% is imported from countries within it.

He then cobbled on those countries outside of the EU that have free trade deals with it and then cobbled on his assumption that those 'other' countries would not have a free trade deal with us after Brexit and offered his 61% as fact when it isnt.

It really is no good making blind assumptions, my view is that we would as a major world economy (I know you lot hate the thought of thinking of the UK in such positive terms) would be able to strike beneficial trade deals with other countries outside of the EU and of course trade will continue, terms yet to be agreed with it as well.

It shouldnt be a daunting prospect for industry to sell their wares without firstly tagging on other vested interest of 27 member states, they should be capable of going to the market confidently and positively and negotiate deals, exactly like other functioning countries do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It really is no good making blind assumptions, my view is that we would as a major world economy (I know you lot hate the thought of thinking of the UK in such positive terms) would be able to strike beneficial trade deals with other countries outside of the EU and of course trade will continue, terms yet to be agreed with it as well.

Please stop for a moment and read this single sentence back to yourself. What do you see? Here's a clue, bit before the comma, bit after :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

It shouldnt be a daunting prospect for industry to sell their wares without firstly tagging on other vested interest of 27 member states, they should be capable of going to the market confidently and positively and negotiate deals, exactly like other functioning countries do.

The EU - that we have voted to leave - has agreed a FREE TRADE deal with Japan. You don't get a better trade deal than that.

So now we leave and hope that in ten years time we might get the same deal as we could have had now. But, for now, we face a decade of tariffs with Japan.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The EU - that we have voted to leave - has agreed a FREE TRADE deal with Japan. You don't get a better trade deal than that.

So now we leave and hope that in ten years time we might get the same deal as we could have had now. But, for now, we face a decade of tariffs with Japan.

I am interested to know what this may mean for Japanese car manufacturers that currently build in the UK for the European market, surely it will be easier to support their manufacturing bases in an area where tariff is reduced or gone, and customs clearance is expedited? The secret deal with Nissan may have just got more expensive.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
God,you Losers are so stupid it really is remarkable you remember to breathe.Try reading things first before crowing about an EU/Japan free trade deal-it doesn't exist!An agreement in principle has been reached,that is all.It could take up to 15 years to implement,and I doubt the EU will still exist by then.:lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
God,you Losers are so stupid it really is remarkable you remember to breathe.Try reading things first before crowing about an EU/Japan free trade deal-it doesn't exist!An agreement in principle has been reached,that is all.It could take up to 15 years to implement,and I doubt the EU will still exist by then.:lolol:

The world's media are reporting it. The negotiations have been going on since March 2013 and they've got the nitty gritty out of the way to the point they can announce it. 10% tariffs of Japanese cars set to come down, tariffs on EU foodstuffs set to come down and it will be made easier for EU companies to bid for Japanese government contracts.

You can lol and deny all you like but this stuff is happening now and things just got that little bit harder for British business to compete.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Still, after Debacle Day (copyright D. Cummins) we'll be able to catch more fish. Unfortunately, it's not clear how easily we'll be able to sell it as nearly all the fish we catch at the moment goes to the EU.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

India, USA are two that are bigger

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here