Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't think it's rife, but I do think it has been hard to deal with and the mechanisms in place are not fit for purpose in the social media age. We are talking about 1/2 million members that you have to try to hold to account and discipline. The Labour Party has a separate disciplinary group to the executive so Corbyn cannot directly get involved in cases. It must be difficult if member A writes a social media post, that is then deleted, then you have to prove that the language etc. is enough to expel them. Like certain posters on these boards, these people are very careful about the edge of acceptability they tread fully aware not to reveal their true colours too readily.

That said, perhaps this has been far bigger than the Party has been able to accept and it did need a grand gesture of policy change and reform.

Fabulous reply, thank you.
I think it needs a massive gesture and very soon because of what had happened today, it's like a runaway train at the moment for Labour and they need to put a stop to it somehow or it will never go away.
Strange that the anti Islam rumour in the Tory party has never gained the same pace though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Strange that the anti-Islam rumour in the Tory party has never gained the same pace though.

I’m not sure that’s it’s ingrained in the same way.

The starting point for a lot of Labour Anti-Semitism seems to be criticism of the often right wing government policies of Israel. I can’t see an Islamic equivalent. Now, if Venezuela were an Islamic Country .........

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m not sure that’s it’s ingrained in the same way.

The starting point for a lot of Labour Anti-Semitism seems to be criticism of the often right wing government policies of Israel.

I think it historically goes further back than that and includes a misinterpretation of Marx's 'on the Jewish question' and other works blurring those lines about a ruling elite, the end game of capitalism, substituting Jews for Rothschild's and you have your conspiratorial ideology that quickly goes from the political to racism.

I note Karl Marx statue in Highgate cemetery has been vandalised twice this year already. Strange, because Marx was of Jewish descent.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Like the last time, hopefully 16 years until another Labour government, enough time for them to purge the extreme left and get their act together

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think it historically goes further back than that and includes a misinterpretation of Marx's 'on the Jewish question' and other works blurring those lines about a ruling elite, the end game of capitalism, substituting Jews for Rothschild's and you have your conspiratorial ideology that quickly goes from the political to racism.

I note Karl Marx statue in Highgate cemetery has been vandalised twice this year already. Strange, because Marx was of Jewish descent.

You are right on this, perceived values of the ruling capitalist classes have clearly been facsimiled on to Jews for decades by some from the left.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

You and I agreeing -careful; people will start talking . . Actually, (and without in any way wishing to be condescending) I do find you to be a very reasonable poster, even if we are often not in total agreement.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Can't be long before Rudd, Soubry, Wollaston et al make their move too.

In time for the 10 o'clock news?

#interestingtimes

Ms Rudd isn't facing deselection by her local association though, unlike Ms Soubry and Dr Wollaston et al, Leave.EU failed on that one, so she won't resign the party whip.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You and I agreeing -careful; people will start talking . . Actually, (and without in any way wishing to be condescending) I do find you to be a very reasonable poster, even if we are often not in total agreement.

Many thanks. The forum should be about reasoned debate, whether or not you convince others to change their minds. Unfortunately some are too ready use the anonymity to play the keyboard 'big I am'.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Many thanks. The forum should be about reasoned debate, whether or not you convince others to change their minds. Unfortunately some are too ready use the anonymity to play the keyboard 'big I am'.

Yes, the second time this evening we are in full agreement !!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't be long before Rudd, Soubry, Wollaston et al make their move too.

In time for the 10 o'clock news?

#interestingtimes

What a week this could be in British political history. Rumoured to be as many as 22 Tory MPs ready to quit this week if May doesn't rule out No Deal. More Labour MPs could also follow those from today. #scenes.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It would be most refreshing if the 'rebels' trying to deny the referendum result (tory/indy/labour/dems) all grouped together around Chuka and a straight fight, Leavers v remainers was all that remained.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You spotted the same irony. Hitler hated Jews partly as they’d been many of the key figures in the rise of Marxism, the Bolshevik revolution, the attempted communist rebellion in the Weimar Republic, and were often great intellectuals.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think it’s a shame that the labours leavers cannot fund enough ground with the Libs to try and force the 3rd party spot in parliament. I’m pretty sure if they did, they would get enough of other disgruntled MP’s from all sides to remove the SNP and have enough of a presence to make a difference.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hilarious seeing Labour falling apart

Why is it hilarious? What a strange reaction. The lack of coherent politics in the UK does the country an enormous disservice and the sooner everyone stops thinking in binary terms and opens their minds the better.

The Labour Party that won 3 elections under Blair is a distant memory, as is the pro-EU Tory Party that won 3 elections under Thatcher. The moderating voices of the Lib Dems are gone from the scene with vocal nationalist parties replacing them. Politics is f*cked.

Boris should have taken over after Brexit, he was the logical choice having led the Vote Leave campaign. Yet we are stuck with May. Similarly Corbyn should have departed the scene after losing in 2017 yet he is still in charge of Labour. It is a complete shambles from top to bottom.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If only. . . I'd either have hope, or have sold up and ****ed off by now. I'm still favouring the latter, but can't think of anywhere better to go!

Why is it hilarious? What a strange reaction. The lack of coherent politics in the UK does the country an enormous disservice and the sooner everyone stops thinking in binary terms and opens their minds the better.

The Labour Party that won 3 elections under Blair is a distant memory, as is the pro-EU Tory Party that won 3 elections under Thatcher. The moderating voices of the Lib Dems are gone from the scene with vocal nationalist parties replacing them. Politics is f*cked.

Boris should have taken over after Brexit, he was the logical choice having led the Vote Leave campaign. Yet we are stuck with May. Similarly Corbyn should have departed the scene after losing in 2017 yet he is still in charge of Labour. It is a complete shambles from top to bottom.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sweden is the 9th happiest country in the world, so it doesn't look like the workers are too upset about it.

It's weird the way that people think Corbyn is far left, he'd have been mainstream Labour about 30 years ago. Hell, his policies aren't that different from ones held by the centre-right government in Germany

Really? So why did he keep voting against labour policy?

The man is clueless. You have to compromise and form alliances to get results. Being a purist who won't compromise with the electorate may be noble, but it also guarantees perpetual failure (leadership of her majesty's opposition). The ****.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Really? So why did he keep voting against labour policy?

The man is clueless. You have to compromise and form alliances to get results. Being a purist who won't compromise with the electorate may be noble, but it also guarantees perpetual failure (leadership of her majesty's opposition). The ****.

He’s a turd

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here