Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1971-2 fill your boots

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do you think Brighton of today would beat the 1970 Brazil team?

The Brazil team plucked out of time with no fitness/diet upgrade, for sure. The would NEVER get past our two line of four

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My first season watching the Albion (12/02/72 v Walsall home, lost 1-2 Spearritt iirc!) and I was hooked.

Loved the kit, the smell of the freshly printed programme and the wow factor when going through the East turnstiles, climbing the bank and seeing the carpet of green below.

My first season as well. Albion v Shrewsbury in October (?) was my first game. I seem to remember the programme had an insert called something like Football League Review in those days.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The Brazil team plucked out of time with no fitness/diet upgrade, for sure. The would NEVER get past our two line of four

Makes you wonder what they're be saying in 50 years time?

Players will be so fast,they're either have to make pitches bigger or make it 10 aside

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Makes you wonder what they're be saying in 50 years time?

Players will be so fast,they're either have to make pitches bigger or make it 10 aside

I suspect the fitness increase over the last 50 years in football is now beginning to level off. However, since Rugby Union has gone professional and the fitness and power levels have increased, I think they may be due for some rule changes, to stop them damaging themselves.

(How do you tell the difference between an Orangutan and a rugby union player ? An Orangutan shows it's arse less)

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It is a bit like comparing today's athletes and times with those of a previous era. Interesting, but impossible to judge whether today's performers are any better than their predecessors.
Given modern day training et al, I dare say yesterday's superstars would be just as good.
As far as rugby is concerned, whilst I love watching it, I do think that the sheer size and power of some of the players is in danger of somewhat overshadowing the skill side of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here