Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Liam neeson

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Congratulations [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION], you've been Neeson'd!

Think [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] sums it up in post #214. Don't tell the truth, especially on social media. At all times present yourself as a beacon of virtue or you'll be set on by others who claim to have lived a life with only pure thoughts.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It may be true that your experiences and perspectives have not proven it wrong, but it is.

So yes what you describe is a good example of what you are discussing, even if a little tongue in cheek.

Actually, I think what you are describing here are backpackers.

You are of course, correct.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Congratulations [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION], you've been Neeson'd!

Think [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] sums it up in post #214. Don't tell the truth, especially on social media. At all times present yourself as a beacon of virtue or you'll be set on by others who claim to have lived a life with only pure thoughts.
Unless you're Donald Trump.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think ultimately it’s true that we all do harbour some prejudices and I also think Liam Neeson was acting on instinct at the time. Forgivable. And acting like a bit of a knob for spilling this to a journalist. Regrettable .

He’s not a racist and should be allowed to go about his business.

As long as his business is no longer coshing “Black ********”.

Leave that to the Metropolitan Police.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You’re right to get back to facts.

But working with the figures you provide, why do you think 73% of all knife crime is committed by black of ethic minority males?

Equally, why do we think that 67% of politicians are male? Is it because they are more likely to be better at politics than women?

Let’s talk about the issues that sit behind the facts and then we can decide if engrained racism or sexism are the true barriers to progress. Then we can consciously do something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. the offences are not caused due to differing melanin levels, there is always a reason behind the figures. If a group is marginalised by a society and make up the vast majority of the poorest sections of society then they are more likely to have high crime rates.The colour of skin is largely irrelevant.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Tell us how he was looking to select those ‘innocent people’, and then explain for us how it wasn’t ‘about race’. :mad:

It wasn't about their race though was it. It was about their being associated (yes, by race) with someone he was angry at. He didn't go out looking for a black man to attack because he hates black people for being black. He went out looking for a black man to attack because he hates a rapist, who was black, and then he makes others like the rapist guilty by association. Obviously it was not right, but it also was not about race.

Imagine your mate got beaten up by a fan of (pick your football club). You might immediately have ill feelings towards fans of that football club, because of what one of them did, not out of any existing prejudice you harbour towards those fans. You would then probably check yourself, and remember that the person who beat up your mate is responsible, not everyone you can associate with them. But that initial feeling would still likely naturally have been there.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think ultimately it’s true that we all do harbour some prejudices and I also think Liam Neeson was acting on instinct at the time. Forgivable. And acting like a bit of a knob for spilling this to a journalist. Regrettable .

He’s not a racist and should be allowed to go about his business.

As long as his business is no longer coshing “Black ********”.

Leave that to the Metropolitan Police.

Tarring a lot of good people with a few bad ones there

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It wasn't about their race though was it.

Okay. It wasn't about race.

It was about their being associated (yes, by race) with someone he was angry at.

Oh. So it was?

He didn't go out looking for a black man to attack because he hates black people for being black.

That's good.

He went out looking for a black man to attack because he hates a rapist, who was black, and then he makes others like the rapist guilty by association.

Oh.

:mad:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
So, in your view, Liam Neeson is a racist?

Is that your conclusion from all this?

Oh do shut up. Your comment about it not being about race is ridiculous.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Oh do shut up. Your comment about it not being about race is ridiculous.

If you believe it was about race, the you would have to believe that he's a racist then?

What about a woman who gets raped, and feels anger towards men and takes her revenge out on other men.

Would you say she was being sexist?

Stuff like this doesn't fit into the simple catergories of arbitrary prejudice, much as some people would apparently like it to.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I agree with Sam Harris here.

He also makes a good point about how if it were a rape by a cop, and Neeson went out looking for a cop to kill, it would be the same story. You can't say Neeson is racist because the rapist was black, but he wouldn't be racist if the rapist was a cop and he did the very same thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree with Sam Harris here.

He also makes a good point about how if it were a rape by a cop, and Neeson went out looking for a cop to kill, it would be the same story. You can't say Neeson is racist because the rapist was black, but he wouldn't be racist if the rapist was a cop and he did the very same thing.

Hmm, I don’t t think the use of the words “black *******” do the “it wasn’t racist” argument any good.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It’s called a sense of humour. You should get one. They’re nice.

I have a good sense of humour my dear chap, don’t need you to tell me thanks.

I was commenting because to accuse all due to one person’s actions is what this is about.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have a good sense of humour my dear chap, don’t need you to tell me thanks.

I was commenting because to accuse all due to one person’s actions is what this is about.

I wrote the line fully aware of the irony. It’s where the humour lay.

I work with the police every day in my job and I have nothing but respect for the vast, vast majority of them. It would count as “bantz” (cringe) in my line of work. Just a laugh and is taken as such by the police and indeed other services we work alongside.

I’m sorry you took it all so seriously. There nothing I can do for you though I’m afraid.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wrote the line fully aware of the irony. It’s where the humour lay. I’m sorry you took it all so seriously. There nothing I can do for you though I’m afraid.
You’re right there’s absolutely nothing you can do for me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You’re right there’s absolutely nothing you can do for me.

Listen, old boy, as I edited above. In my job I work with the police daily. I have nothing but respect for the vast, vast majority of them and the other services we work with.
In my line of work it would be called “bants” (cringe) and would be taken in good humour by the police and I would get the same back.
It’s really not a big deal.
I can se you’re struggling with the concept so I’ll leave it be.
TBTC

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Listen, old boy, as I edited above. In my job I work with the police daily. I have nothing but respect for the vast, vast majority of them and the other services we work with.
In my line of work it would be called “bants” (cringe) and would be taken in good humour by the police and I would get the same back.
It’s really not a big deal.
I can se you’re struggling with the concept so I’ll leave it be.
TBTC

Please don’t patronise it’s a horrible trait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here