Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I was not aware of this.

Why didn't Remain make more of it?

All sorts of reasons, probably. Complacency and rank incompetence would be a couple of obvious ones, but boring facts also find it quite difficult to compete for airtime and space in print when up against a big red bus with a massive number written on the side. The detail of FOM is also something that papers like the Sun and Mail (combined circulation, 2.5m) had no interest in reporting, never mind highlighting, since it didn't fit either with their agenda during the referendum or the years and years of immigrant-demonising front pages that had gone before.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] Is the was sheer number of refugees without properly checking them that people objected to. I don't think she had any moral right to do that in a customs union.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
[tweet]1093162866193113088[/tweet]

Wonder who is the shortest?Bercow,Tusk,or Leo the gnome?Is this FBPE thing something to do with breakfasts?:smile:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
All sorts of reasons, probably. Complacency and rank incompetence would be a couple of obvious ones, but boring facts also find it quite difficult to compete for airtime and space in print when up against a big red bus with a massive number written on the side. The detail of FOM is also something that papers like the Sun and Mail (combined circulation, 2.5m) had no interest in reporting, never mind highlighting, since it didn't fit either with their agenda during the referendum or the years and years of immigrant-demonising front pages that had gone before.

What's the circulation of the guardian?Not many.Perhaps reader's egos and smugness count for missing millions?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I was not aware of this.

Why didn't Remain make more of it?

The point about EU citizens who have not worked for 3 months, being repatriated, I guess is down to us not having a record of who enters the UK?

Or ID cards once you're here. Labour tried to introduce these back in 2005, when David Davies, no less, was a key figure in what was ultimately a successful campaign against.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What's the circulation of the guardian?Not many.Perhaps reader's egos and smugness count for missing millions?

Which should be a worry to people who believe in democracy and our constitution, given the huge political weight the global elite put behind supporting their self interest through their printed media.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] Is the was sheer number of refugees without properly checking them that people objected to. I don't think she had any moral right to do that in a customs union.

The customs union definition is a group of states that have agreed to charge the same import duties as each other and usually to allow free trade between themselves. It is nothing to do with Free Movement.

Refugees becoming EU citizens takes years as already pointed out.
https://openeurope.org.uk/today/blo...l-refugees-acquire-full-free-movement-rights/

There was a major propaganda move which is quoted in the article above, which was false, but suited the Leave campaign. Bild had to apologise for it's article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/world/europe/bild-fake-story.html

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Your joking agreeing with cheap insults from a supposed head of an organisation. Nearly out

Did you notice Peter Bone deliberately misquoting Tusk? Is it ok to lie?

Added the original

[tweet]1093116653695578112[/tweet]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The customs union definition is a group of states that have agreed to charge the same import duties as each other and usually to allow free trade between themselves. It is nothing to do with Free Movement.

Refugees becoming EU citizens takes years as already pointed out.
https://openeurope.org.uk/today/blo...l-refugees-acquire-full-free-movement-rights/

There was a major propaganda move which is quoted in the article above, which was false, but suited the Leave campaign. Bild had to apologise for it's article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/world/europe/bild-fake-story.html

Yep, sorry I meant the common market

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Which should be a worry to people who believe in democracy and our constitution, given the huge political weight the global elite put behind supporting their self interest through their printed media.

Surely democracy means we can read what we want to?Countries where people are forced to read state sponsored crap,pravda for example,aren't democracies.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The HoC rejected May's deal by a record 230 votes. By definition that has to be a Bad Deal. I don't see that a time limit on the backstop is going to make it a Good Deal all of a sudden, so if No Deal is better than a Bad Deal right now it looks like we're crashing out.

I just watched Greg Clarke taking questions in a parliamentary sub-committee and one MP made the point it can take 6 weeks for container ships from the Far East to reach the UK, so if Parliament hasn't reached agreement by 15 Feb then those ships are leaving not knowing what customs arrangements will be in place when they dock.

You are right sticking a time limit on or tweaking the backstop won't improve it all that much but it will give many MP's an excuse to climb down. Probably not enough as there are still a sizeable number of Tories who voted for that amendment just trying to run down the clock/get us nearer the exit door. It was more interesting seeing how many Labour MP's voted for the Brady amendment against the Labour party whip and how many abstained including numerous frontbenchers. There were no sanctions from the Labour leadership which suggests they would not be overly concerned if any rebellion helps May get her tweaked deal over the line thus avoiding no deal. The truth is no one knows how this will play out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here