Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cashless Amex en route...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep,soon there will be no cash and they can track everything you spend money on plus it'll stop cash in hand!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

They do anyway with loyalty cards ie Nectar and Tesco etc

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yep,soon there will be no cash and they can track everything you spend money on plus it'll stop cash in hand!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I had to buy another street of houses in Newhaven last week as I had so much cash from recent plumbing jobs. :wink:

I am taking card payments now though, quite useful those machines.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought that the "Cashless Amex" had been announced as an aspiration pretty much from day 1 of its opening?

No they have "cashless supporters" as the aspiration.

Which is why you will buy this 'Official Albion Toilet Seat Cover'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said for a long time that I can envisage the day when money does not exist and everything is done via card but which government would be prepared to bring it in as it is a vote loser.

Son said he had received an e mail from the club saying that they were giving it a trial run for the game v Burnley but I haven't received the e mail.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have said for a long time that I can envisage the day when money does not exist and everything is done via card but which government would be prepared to bring it in as it is a vote loser.

Son said he had received an e mail from the club saying that they were giving it a trial run for the game v Burnley but I haven't received the e mail.

I don't think it is a government thing, it will just happen. Want insurance for your cash on site? That costs. Want Securicor to come and collect your cash to bank? That costs. Business bank account that wants to pay in cash? That probably costs.

The cost of handling cash to a business is fairly significant. There are pubs in Worthing now that are *card* only for this reason. Like cheques it will take a decade to phase out but it will happen

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree - but then the club should say that explicitly and not try and pretend that the move to cashless is going to solve the queues; I simply don’t believe that it will make that big a difference - especially as the “majority” are already using a cashless payment method.

I don't think the club have claimed it will solve the queues, we all know it won't. It might help speed things up slightly, but I'm not expecting any discernible difference to the waiting times. I'll still be confronted by a slack-jawed teenager who's been up all night playing Fortnight, and moves at glacial pace from till to counter, softly repeating my order to himself before forgetting it and shuffling back to the screen to have another look, then calling the supervisor over because he pressed the wrong button and needs to start again.

It is what it is on the concourses. Its never changed, it never will.

In stark contrast, the service in Dicks is superb. LOADS of staff behind the bar, quick and efficient, usually one person pouring while the other sorts out the money side, minimal queuing. That place is always rammed pre-match, and yet you'll usually be served and sorted inside a minute or two. They have it spot on in there, albeit they're not dealing with concourse numbers I suppose.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don't think the club have claimed it will solve the queues

While they may not claim it will solve the queues, they’re definitely leading with that as an objective.

Literally the first words of the press release are “Fans can expect to see speedier service at the Amex in future...”.

Later, they say “The new model which relies on the speedy contactless form of payment has been hugely successful in cutting queue times and speeding up service at stadia across the world, and Albion fans will now benefit from the new approach.”

Still later, they say “Improving service times during peak periods and shorter service periods, such as half-time and immediately after the game, will be better for everyone”.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Be interesting if you get a Visa or MasterCard meltdown on a Saturday afternoon. Will there be a back up cash option ?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While they may not claim it will solve the queues, they’re definitely leading with that as an objective.

Literally the first words of the press release are “Fans can expect to see speedier service at the Amex in future...”.

Later, they say “The new model which relies on the speedy contactless form of payment has been hugely successful in cutting queue times and speeding up service at stadia across the world, and Albion fans will now benefit from the new approach.”

Still later, they say “Improving service times during peak periods and shorter service periods, such as half-time and immediately after the game, will be better for everyone”.

I guess I'm just used to taking all corporate announcements in life with a large pinch of salt.

Nothing ever really gets better, does it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How quick can you get the number to call them to cancel the card?

It’s written on the back of my cards. It won’t take too long to look at the back of your card and report it’s lost.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nobody’s mentioned what happens if you lose/drop your contactless card.

Lose cash and you know how much you’ve lost - lose a contactless card and you could well end up supplying drinks to a lot of people before you realise you’ve lost it - banks will only refund sales made from the time you report the card missing.
I think every 10 contactless transactions you have to do a PIN transaction or enter a PIN in an ATM.

So assuming 30 pound maximum contactless transaction, that is in theory an eyewatering 300 pounds before the card becomes useless without a PIN.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Cashless is quite definitely taking over. Last month when I went to Bournemouth for the weekend two homeless people begging for change actually had hand held card machines for donations. The first time I've ever seen this. They asked for any change and me and the wife genuinely didn't have any cash on us as we tend to use cards most of the time these days. We were staggered when on both occasions that we were asked the people in question said they could take a card payment. Seems going cashless really is the new king.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's was my point, if you lose it you wont be able to look at the back at the back of it for the number to quickly cancel it.

Maybe try and remember where you lost it then? If you remember where you left it you will be able to quickly locate it and report it lost.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think every 10 contactless transactions you have to do a PIN transaction or enter a PIN in an ATM.

So assuming 30 pound maximum contactless transaction, that is in theory an eyewatering 300 pounds before the card becomes useless without a PIN.

Your eyes may water at £300, but I doubt your bank would blink twice at refunding just £300 on a fraud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here