Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] £55K Beer

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
An Australian journalist was charged £55,315.12 for a bottle of Deuchers IPA. He paid by card. Now we all know his pin number!
Think about this next time you put your pin number in. Some crafty thieves will purposefully hand you the card machine without pushing 'enter' after putting in the amount. Thus you put in your pin, they glance at the machine and see it typed out as an amount to be paid. They then apologise and start again but they already have your pin number.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
But they don't have the card, so what good is that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I read that earlier. Seems strange he didn't get a call or phone alert to confirm the purchase.

He also claims to be unable to afford it yet his misses called him to confirm the payment had been taken from the account so either he had a huge balance or overdraft facility imo.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I read that earlier. Seems strange he didn't get a call or phone alert to confirm the purchase.

He also claims to be unable to afford it yet his misses called him to confirm the payment had been taken from the account so either he had a huge balance or overdraft facility imo.

Having £55,000 in your account and being able to afford spending £55,000 on a pint are two very different things.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9062964 said:
Having £55,000 in your account and being able to afford spending £55,000 on a pint are two very different things.

"That's a lot of money. I'm just a cricket writer, I don't earn big bucks and it's costing me in interest."

Two mornings later, Mr Lalor says he took a call from his wife to say the money had indeed left their account.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49593291

So he didn't have the funds but still had the ability to pay for it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Heard about this on the radio last night and instantly thought bullshit!

I used to go out with an Aussie girl and whenever she used her Oz card over here it used to cause all sorts of alarm bells to go off and she'd get texts from the bank and would usually have to sign for it. Secondly surely any bank is going query a spend that large?

My guess is bored Aussie journos during rain delay hatch a scheme to get the daftest story in the press over here......we have a winner.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
"That's a lot of money. I'm just a cricket writer, I don't earn big bucks and it's costing me in interest."

Two mornings later, Mr Lalor says he took a call from his wife to say the money had indeed left their account.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49593291

So he didn't have the funds but still had the ability to pay for it.

Paul Haywood has apparently verified the story, saying that it was somehow linked to his mortgage account. Whether that means he's paid it out of an offset account, I'm not sure, but however it's happened I don't actually think it will be a problem to reverse.

Paul Haywood has apparently verified the story, saying that it was somehow linked to his mortgage account. Whether that means he's paid it out of an offset account, I'm not sure, but however it's happened I don't actually think it will be a problem to reverse.

At least it was a decent pint, Deuchars IPA. Even the victim thought that although not worth £55K!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm pretty sure I paid something like that for a pint in a pub in Fulham before last year's game

You should try some of the wanky pretentious craft beer bars I frequent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here