Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wilfred Bony

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You question the judgement of Potter, Ashworth, Bloom and the rest of the management team then?

By proxy then yes, I am. In my opinion what we've ended up with now, at the end of the entire transfer window, does not look like an adequate Premier League strikeforce for an impending relegation scrap. Time will tell, and I very much hope that I am proven totally wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fair post. I think where we differ is that I wasn’t expecting a huge return from Andone.

Truth is, nobody on this site really knows how Connolly or Maupay will get on this season. It’s all guesswork. The only reason I’m backing the club on this one is that I’d always rather they rolled the dice and took a chance on something that might work than stuck with two highly paid proven failures.

I was hoping for a better return from Andone (an established International) this season, given our more progressive style under Potter. Now that option has gone, I'm left hoping that two other players who have never had a sniff at playing at the top level can actually make the grade for us this season. Both options were rolling the dice, I just preferred the former, as I felt it more likely to be successful. GP has gone for the latter, but as you said, none of us really know at this stage. He deserves to be given the benefit of any doubt, but it doesn't stop me being more than a little concerned.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with all that. Additionally of course we only just finished about the relegation places and I thought the idea was that this season we were to improve and look to hold our own in the PL. I cannot see that happening, a relegation scrap beckons.

I too was hoping our striker options would be far better by now than what we've ended up with. Trossard looks like an absolute gem of a player, he looks well capable of supplying the assists for anyone who is canny and sharp enough to give him the movement up front that he'll need. Maybe Maupay / Connolly will do exactly that. Its a big ask, but if it comes off then GP will deserve all the credit that comes his way.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
None of which I would take issue with - Andone is seemingly always on a hair-trigger. This isn't "news" to anyone. Its not hindsight.

So WHY leave it till till 2nd September - more than 3 weeks after our window shut - to ship him out ? Less than a week after we've ditched another striker who we can't bring in a replacement for. Is this what constitutes planning now ?

Whether you ever rated those two or not, their departures have hardly done much to strengthen us going into this season. Not at this late stage when we can't even look for reinforcements. If you genuinely think that Murray/Maupay/Connolly gives us plenty in reserve for a PL relegation scrap, then I would have to question your judgement.

I wholly disagree - I actually believe that Maupay is an upgrade on Locadia and Andone - especially in terms of application and actual ability in relation to the former, whilst still being a tenacious customer. Connolly is clearly a bit more of a gamble, but he's still got more genuine ability with the ball at his feet than Jurgen (sorry mate) will ever have. As another poster alluded to, numbers wise we're as we were with the caveat being we now have a genuine front three as apposed to one. Yet with March able to play the wide role, Trossard too and to a lesser extent Gross and with Izquierdo hopefully returning soon the idea that we've been sold hugely short is indeed - a myth.

Finally I say again: Jurgen is not a starter, nor will we miss him... Andone has tenacity yet gets injured and sent off with stunning regularity... I actually think GP has pulled a cunning stunt in relation to the Romanian madman who was/is clearly a total pillock.

That said, it would seem you are now of the opinion we're doomed... so be it. Let's just revisit this little conversation when we're sitting in about 12th by Christmas shall we? Your constant insistence that we have a lack of proven PL players makes little sense to me, as Locadia and Andone had both brilliantly proven themselves to be little better than average/poor at this level and for many reasons: Skill, discipline, injury record, and at goal scoring too. We are in no worse a position (in terms of proven PL quality up top) than we were last season - it's a fact.

I'm right behind the direction we're taking - finally the time has come to give our youth a chance and reap the rewards that may follow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wholly disagree - I actually believe that Maupay is an upgrade on Locadia and Andone - especially in terms of application and actual ability in relation to the former, whilst still being a tenacious customer. Connolly is clearly a bit more of a gamble, but he's still got more genuine ability with the ball at his feet than Jurgen (sorry mate) will ever have. As another poster alluded to, numbers wise we're as we were with the caveat being we now have a genuine front three as apposed to one. Yet with March able to play the wide role, Trossard too and to a lesser extent Gross and with Izquierdo hopefully returning soon the idea that we've been sold hugely short is indeed - a myth.

Finally I say again: Jurgen is not a starter, nor will we miss him... Andone has tenacity yet gets injured and sent off with stunning regularity... I actually think GP has pulled a cunning stunt in relation to the Romanian madman who was/is clearly a total pillock.

That said, it would seem you are now of the opinion we're doomed... so be it. Let's just revisit this little conversation when we're sitting in about 12th by Christmas shall we?

I'm right behind the direction we're taking - finally the time has come to give our youth a chance and reap the rewards that may follow.

I'm not saying we're doomed. But as a Premier League striker the jury is very much out on Maupay, and as far as Connolly is concerned, his case hasn't even been heard in court yet. We are pinning an awful lot of hope on those two cutting the mustard this season, with precious little to actually base it on. I desperately hope that they prove they are up to the task, but I am fearful that they may struggle. Then you're looking round for alternatives, aaaand.....well.

Happy to revisit this conversation whenever you like. I sincerely hope you prove me totally wrong.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not saying we're doomed. But as a Premier League striker the jury is very much out on Maupay, and as far as Connolly is concerned, his case hasn't even been heard in court yet. We are pinning an awful lot of hope on those two cutting the mustard this season, with precious little to actually base it on. I desperately hope that they prove they are up to the task, but I am fearful that they may struggle. Then you're looking round for alternatives, aaaand.....well.

Happy to revisit this conversation whenever you like. I sincerely hope you prove me totally wrong.

What we already know, is Andone and Locadia both struggle at this level. That is at least something we don't need to wait to find out. Andone of the two might have been able to contribute, but his performances were never consistent enough to warrant anything like a long run in the team.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
My mind was 100% made up on Locadia after watching him stroll about for 15 minutes against Soton having watched 10 of his colleagues work their socks off for 45 minutes against a man advantage. Total fraud of a footballer at this level and will not be missed.
Andone on the other hand is a real shame and IMO makes no sense footballing wise, clearly the decision was not based on football reasons though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What we already know, is Andone and Locadia both struggle at this level. That is at least something we don't need to wait to find out. Andone of the two might have been able to contribute, but his performances were never consistent enough to warrant anything like a long run in the team.

What we also already know is that we stayed up by the skin of our scrote last season, and we've failed to bring in any proven quality to assist Old Man Murray in our quest for goals. Instead, we've taken a punt. And we're also heavily reliant now on Glenn staying fit enough to play as many games as he did last season.

Its another gamble.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What we also already know is that we stayed up by the skin of our scrote last season, and we've failed to bring in any proven quality to assist Old Man Murray in our quest for goals. Instead, we've taken a punt. And we're also heavily reliant now on Glenn staying fit enough to play as many games as he did last season.

Its another gamble.

I’ll stick my neck on the line here and suggest he will seldom be any more than an impact sub, we will be relying on Potter’s style not needing an out and out striker in most games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Its another gamble.

How many teams around us have much of a choice other than taking one of the better Championship strikers or keeping them when they come up or taking an inferior league European option? Maupay is less of a punt than Locadia, Andone, Jahanbakhsh were because he is a proven performer in England.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Just had to add that he's complete unadulterated shit and any team wasting hard earned on him needs their head examined.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Its another gamble.

I probably agreed with this a few days ago but I'm already changing my mind a little. Firstly (and call this semantics if you want) I don't feel either Andone or Locadia were PROVEN either. Andone had good games and bad games. Sometimes he'd get you a great goal, sometimes he wouldn't and sometimes he'd be reckless. Locadia was gash. Full stop with cherries on.

Trading the two of them for someone with true Premier League proven quality would certainly have been a good idea but we'd have ended up thirty million or so down on the deal (and remember the Jestermen hilariously paid that for Benteke who had at least been playing for Liverpool). Proven PL quality comes at a cost and, yet, is still a risk.

Secondly we were all berating Hughton for not giving the U23s a chance. Well here you go Aaron Connelly. Are you going to be the next Kane or Alexander-Arnold or are you going to be the next Shamir Fenelon. Only one way to find out.......

Most of all (and back to the thread title) I don't think Bony would change the picture, other than take up a space in the 25 and drain some wages. He's been absolute toilet for over two years.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have we singed Bony yet or not, then? Spare me all this whiff waff about Long-goncardia and Andone. I'm so cross I'm going to have to post another track by And one....aaah! That's better :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpeuV_8imdI

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I probably agreed with this a few days ago but I'm already changing my mind a little. Firstly (and call this semantics if you want) I don't feel either Andone or Locadia were PROVEN either. Andone had good games and bad games. Sometimes he'd get you a great goal, sometimes he wouldn't and sometimes he'd be reckless. Locadia was gash. Full stop with cheeries on.

Trading the two of them for someone with true Premier League proven quality would certainly have been a good idea but we'd have ended up thirty million or so down on the deal (and remember the Jestermen hilariously paid that for Benteke who had at least been playing for Liverpool). Proven PL quality comes at a cost and, yet, is still a risk.

Secondly we were all berating Hughton for not giving the U23s a chance. Well here you go Aaron Connelly. Are you going to be the next Kane or Alexander-Arnold or are you going to be the next Shamir Fenelon. Only one way to find out.......

Most of all (and back to the thread title) I don't think Bony would change the picture, other than take up a space in the 25 and drain some wages. He's been absolute toilet for over two years.

I’d probably have agreed with this a few days ago...

and today too :)

Nice riposte.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I’m with you re the forward risk (but would prefer to remain positive), yet I can’t agree that either of the departures are anything other than a reduction in bodies vs where we were ten days or so ago. Jurgen would be at home playing for Burton, Andone is a scrapper who doesn’t fit in with the microscopic eye on everything that goes on in the PL - from TV, pundits and now VAR - he’s way too old (physical) school, hence he fails the risk assessment. Indeed remove his aggression and i’m unsure what we’d be left with.

For me our chances remain the same today as last week - slim, but here’s hoping we see our young players shine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I probably agreed with this a few days ago but I'm already changing my mind a little. Firstly (and call this semantics if you want) I don't feel either Andone or Locadia were PROVEN either. Andone had good games and bad games. Sometimes he'd get you a great goal, sometimes he wouldn't and sometimes he'd be reckless. Locadia was gash. Full stop with cherries on.

I don't disagree with anything you've said there, and I'm certainly not singing the praises of Locadia or Andone. Locadia just didn't work out, and whilst I *think* there might've been some more potential in Andone this season, it turns out he's apparently an absolute throbber so we got shot. Yep, they were both punts too.

But with this being our 3rd season in the PL, in terms of strikers I was kind of hoping we'd be moving away from the hopeful punts by now. This is the 3rd year running that Glenn has been the main man, and has performed miracles, but we all know he's not getting any younger. I'm happy to see Connolly given his chance, and I hope Maupay is up to it, but if they're not, then we are looking awfully thin on options now. Thats my worry. Our bench certainly ain't gonna look too potent this year.

And no, Bony was never the answer to solve this.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't disagree with anything you've said there, and I'm certainly not singing the praises of Locadia or Andone. Locadia just didn't work out, and whilst I *think* there might've been some more potential in Andone this season, it turns out he's apparently an absolute throbber so we got shot. Yep, they were both punts too.

But with this being our 3rd season in the PL, in terms of strikers I was kind of hoping we'd be moving away from the hopeful punts by now. This is the 3rd year running that Glenn has been the main man, and has performed miracles, but we all know he's not getting any younger. I'm happy to see Connolly given his chance, and I hope Maupay is up to it, but if they're not, then we are looking awfully thin on options now. Thats my worry. Our bench certainly ain't gonna look too potent this year.

And no, Bony was never the answer to solve this.

Then we're violently agreeing :thumbsup:

As suspected, you're a sensible man.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
If only we had a guy who two seasons ago was the leading scorer in a top European league...
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here