Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2019/20 Premier League VAR decisions

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is that a "Clear and obvious error?" Need a linos call for such a marginal decision like that, like cricket reviews with umpires call for lbw

Yes, it is. The video shows he is, by the current definition of the law, offside. You cannot score a goal if you are offside. To allow a goal to stand when you know a player is offside is a clear and obvious error.

The offside itself is marginal, but that's not where 'clear and obvious' is applied. And there is no provision in the current law for gradations of offside. You are on or off. He was off, ergo he cannot legally score.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Who is to say how far the rules are to be enforced? You enjoy football for your own reasons. Learn not to be offside. Don't depend on the referee not to enforce the rules because he can't see it as well as the replay. It changes the game but it is THE RULES.

So someone making the run as Sterling just did will know he's offside? Course he bloody won't, and if he is by a nose hair then the VAR rules are bollocks.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Correct the rule isnt up to and in line with the VAR standards. I think that it should be amended and only given if it is the feet, knees or head are offside. these are what you score most goals with.

Ps just seen the VAR of 3rd goal how can that be given and the other disallowed as I thought his arm looked further forward than Jesus. one.

I'm pretty sure the arm wouldn't count as offside. It's only a part of your body you could score with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You can already see that players aren't really celebrating the instant they score. Its just taken all that enjoyment out of our game, I'd rather have controversy without VAR than this shite we're being dished up. And how long will this game run over the 90?

Can you really judge that with Man City v anyone outside the top 6? They're so used to scoring, and aren't exactly being troubled by west ham, it's a bit of a stroll.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was just about to post a single season-long official VAR thread, along with a POLL.

However, there are already two VAR threads out there just today. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] do you want me to merge them and add the poll or leave as they are?

The problem with a poll is once you've voted you can't vote again if you change your mind, which is quite possible over the course of 9 months or so.

I'll rename this one to be the 2019/20 Premier League VAR Decisions thread, or something, and you can do what you like with a poll - add one to this thread if you like or run a separate one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The problem with a poll is once you've voted you can't vote again if you change your mind, which is quite possible over the course of 9 months or so.

I'll rename this one to be the 2019/20 Premier League VAR Decisions thread, or something, and you can do what you like with a poll - add one to this thread if you like or run a separate one.

Think regular polls rather than one is probably a better idea then. A bit like Icy's mojo polls. Maybe at the end of each "match week". I probably won't remember though, especially after a home game when I've had a few :drink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sterling gets the 3rd after being played onside by mole on Balbuena's arse.

Really not sure how they could accurately judge that one, as it was a very congested area. Reckon they just thought "sod it - let it count"...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Now the penalty retake.

When I used to say to the wife I'm off to the football, I'm now going to just say I'm off to the Theatre.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
So someone making the run as Sterling just did will know he's offside? Course he bloody won't, and if he is by a nose hair then the VAR rules are bollocks.

Do THE RULES say a player is offside if he is offside by a nose hair? I think the answer is obvious. Whether the player or referee can "see" it or recognize it should not make the difference.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do THE RULES say a player is offside if he is offside by a nose hair? I think the answer is obvious. Whether the player or referee can "see" it or recognize it should not make the difference.

Well, if you are arguing in favour of this game killer, feel free and go ahead, personally I think it's killing our sport.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here