Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Football - Discuss

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As for the attendance, according to the BBC:

"...it's a WSL record of 5,265 - beating the previous mark of 5,052 in a match between Arsenal and Chelsea at Emirates Stadium in 2012.

That crowd is around 10 times bigger than Albion's average gate when they play at Crawley Town's Broadfield Stadium...."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/48029645

For those that are there, is 1/6th of the Amex full?

It would be interesting to know how the attendance was calculated - paid / free tickets, numbers through the turnstiles, etc.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It’s not that they wouldnt beat certain levels of men for me - for the record I don’t think they would get anywhere near a good county league team - it’s just that they struggle to play on a pitch with the size of goals we have with their lack of physical abilities compared to men. Younger lads play on smaller pitches. Why do women only play 3 sets in tennis ? We know why.

Can't remember the the facts but remember reading about a 15yo boys team beating (I think) the Aussie national women.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
As for the attendance, according to the BBC:

"...it's a WSL record of 5,265 - beating the previous mark of 5,052 in a match between Arsenal and Chelsea at Emirates Stadium in 2012.

That crowd is around 10 times bigger than Albion's average gate when they play at Crawley Town's Broadfield Stadium...."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/48029645

For those that are there, is 1/6th of the Amex full?

It would be interesting to know how the attendance was calculated - paid / free tickets, numbers through the turnstiles, etc.

Was there, about half the north stand was full and 95% of east stand lower. The rest empty.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Some of the views on here are pretty horrendous to be honest, but sadly still widely vocalised. If you don't want to watch it don't, no need to pass derogatory comments in the process of doing so. Women are second best in alot of things in life, and having had first hand experience in my sporting career and my professional career of having to work twice as hard for 2/3rds the rewards, its disheartening when it rears its ugly head with a minority of patronising men. Why is it when its women its boring or poor, but when its the mens game, you'll talk failing tactics or bad managers or out of position players, crap transfers, bad signings, bad attitude, but we don't get the respect of being criticised for our tactics or effort or skill, we're just boring. I'd suggest todays womens game will be better than yesterdays first half!!

Having to work twice as hard for two thirds of the money is disgraceful and times are changing thankfully. I experienced middle class tory bosses in their 60s at work and their attidudes stink. I can't think of many jobs where women can't do as well as a man and that the lack of female bosses and difference in pay is unacceptable. However Proffesional Footballer is one of them. They are slower, not as strong, can't kick the ball as powerfully and the goalkeepers. This makes the women's game in my opinion inferior entertainment. We also know an under 15 boys team beats them and as most of us played under 15s football is always in our mind. I wouldn't need to comment but it's being artificially promoted by the likes of the BBC and The Club. So no you can't avoid it, if you don't like it. If you saw an advert on Instagram everyday and there was no way of switching it off you wouldn't have a favourable relationship for that company and you might start rebelling against it?
You might start calling it boring.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Having to work twice as hard for two thirds of the money is disgraceful and times are changing thankfully. I experienced middle class tory bosses in their 60s at work and their attidudes stink. I can't think of many jobs where women can't do as well as a man and that the lack of female bosses and difference in pay is unacceptable. However Proffesional Footballer is one of them. They are slower, not as strong, can't kick the ball as powerfully and the goalkeepers. This makes the women's game in my opinion inferior entertainment. We also know an under 15 boys team beats them and as most of us played under 15s football is always in our mind. I wouldn't need to comment but it's being artificially promoted by the likes of the BBC and The Club. So no you can't avoid it, if you don't like it. If you saw an advert on Instagram everyday and there was no way of switching it off you wouldn't have a favourable relationship for that company and you might start rebelling against it?
You might start calling it boring.

Your instagram feed says more about your browsing habits than anything else...

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I quite like it. I'll happily watch fit & healthy women do anything, so a sport I like is great (prefer women's tennis really)

On a serious note - the standard has massively improved in the last 10 years & the game is on the up & getting the recognition accordingly. I look forward to the day when a ladies player makes it in the men's league (surely that's allowed if they're good enough?)

keitho54

Oct 9, 2003
Some of the views on here are pretty horrendous to be honest, but sadly still widely vocalised. If you don't want to watch it don't, no need to pass derogatory comments in the process of doing so. Women are second best in alot of things in life, and having had first hand experience in my sporting career and my professional career of having to work twice as hard for 2/3rds the rewards, its disheartening when it rears its ugly head with a minority of patronising men. Why is it when its women its boring or poor, but when its the mens game, you'll talk failing tactics or bad managers or out of position players, crap transfers, bad signings, bad attitude, but we don't get the respect of being criticised for our tactics or effort or skill, we're just boring. I'd suggest todays womens game will be better than yesterdays first half!!

I too was very surprised by the tone and substance of some of the comments in this discussion of the women's game. I went today for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Brighton were outplayed I thought by a very strong Arsenal team who were good technically and tactically. It was a bit like watching the men's first team the moment in that Brighton were weak going forward, defended well, gave the ball away too much, and had a better second half! The crowd, as has been said, was a new record for the WSL, there were many families there, and fans from the two sides were mixed together.

My main reason for posting (and I apologise if this has been covered) is to highlight the fact that the women's game once attracted very large crowds in England and that its downfall from that point was a deliberate policy of the football authorities. The BBC article below is interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33064421/the-secret-history-of-womens-football

In its pre-amble the piece says:

'Women's football matches once pulled bigger crowds than most men's games - sometimes more than 50,000. In the 1920s the sport flourished with around 150 women's teams in England. But then the women's game was effectively banned, with the FA at the time saying the game of football is "quite unsuitable for females".' !!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Your instagram feed says more about your browsing habits than anything else...

If that's a dig I don't get it.
Not always your browsing history though we know our phones are listening to us. For example Kiefer Sutherland was a guest on the radio the other day. I was listening in my car I have little interest in him but within 12 hours I was being bombarded with adverts for his new album. Kiefer got blocked.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If that's a dig I don't get it.
Not always your browsing history though we know our phones are listening to us. For example Kiefer Sutherland was a guest on the radio the other day. I was listening in my car I have little interest in him but within 12 hours I was being bombarded with adverts for his new album. Kiefer got blocked.

It wasn't a dig? What comes up on your instagram is more about your browsing history than whether womens football is being artificially promoted? I haven't seen one ad or one promotion for it across any of my (admittedly very few) social media pages...Having searched for an upcoming trip to Paris, I seem to be being bombarded with quaint over priced Parisian apartments at the moment ...Just ignoring it frankly rather than deeming it boring...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
STCFCWomensManager.jpg

If anyone moves in women's football circles - can they spread the message for the above. Ta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here