Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is it just me?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What eatery do you run ?

Assuming your daughter works there

An excellent one - fresh homemade good ol' English scoff. Homemade Steak & Kid Pud, roasts with meat carved from the joint, proper puds including spotted dick. (and "specials" from time to time).

Great value - best in town.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I have tipped in restaurants for as long as I can remember, as long as the service is good. Maybe I’ve been whooshed...

No whooshing. At least not on my part...

I never knew anyone who tipped when i was in England. Admittedly I had barely left uni so no one had any money to go to restaurants other than the chippy and maccy d's.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The wife and I have always been super hot on this with the kids from as soon as they could talk, mainly because I don’t like being taken for granted in my own house!!!! We have 2 kids who are now polite by habit and it’s often mentioned, costs nothing and can go a long way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No whooshing. At least not on my part...

I never knew anyone who tipped when i was in England. Admittedly I had barely left uni so no one had any money to go to restaurants other than the chippy and maccy d's.

I never tip for a take away

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It may be a result of the PC brigade and their constant criticism of anyone who tries to do something positive. Holding doors open, “after you”, etc. Seems that some elements of society are being dragged down to the bare bones and niceties are out of the window. Plus bad parenting!

My mum is literally the most PC person going but still brought me up to have good manners and hold the door open for anyone. Trying to blame this on the "PC Brigade" is utter rubbish. However totally agree it is bad parenting as this is taught behaviour.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've always found that loudness, aggressive behaviour and bad manners are so evident and whilst there are clearly seen & heard it doesn't always lead to them getting what they want. It staggers me that you would be discourteous or rude to anyone, but especially to someone you're relying on to cook or bring you food!

I take tremendous pride when I hear people saying "Your boys are good guys" etc etc, but I also make sure they know how I and other people feel about them, and that, in this day and age can be the missing link. Teaching good manners is, of course, important but recognising and praising good manners is vital for that to continue, it's the children that deserve the credit, in my opinion, not just the parents

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
An excellent one - fresh homemade good ol' English scoff. Homemade Steak & Kid Pud, roasts with meat carved from the joint, proper puds including spotted dick. (and "specials" from time to time).

Great value - best in town.

Home made Steak & Kidney Pud, oh my word, where is this heaven you speak of!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have just served 3 people with their lunch, and there was not one’please or thank you’
My daughter took their order, one of them asked for a dish we have never had on the menu, and got a bit arsey when she was told we couldn’t do it, I took their meals out, and wasn’t acknowledged at all.
They paid after their meal, without any of the normal courtesy.

We occasionally get one or two without good manners, but, these 3 really have annoyed me today, a complete lack of any type of courtesy, they were an elderly couple and I imagine, their daughter, so, it wasn’t an age thing, generally we find bad manners isn’t an age specific problem.

Does this type of thing wind anyone else up?

You really are missing a trick being coy about where you work. It could be filled with the politest North Stand Chatters you could ever wish to serve.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Every now and then on a long drive I'll somehow forget to wave thanks if I'm let through. I IMMEDIATELY feel AWFUL.

Yet, at work, I'll hold the door open for some people and they LOOK at me and don't say a word. I don't understand how it's even possible to not acknowledge someone who does that. I'd MELT with shame.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Every now and then on a long drive I'll somehow forget to wave thanks if I'm let through. I IMMEDIATELY feel AWFUL.

Yet, at work, I'll hold the door open for some people and they LOOK at me and don't say a word. I don't understand how it's even possible to not acknowledge someone who does that. I'd MELT with shame.

Just feel good about yourself. Be happy that you're the sort of person who would do that for another. If I do a good deed, I don't care what I get back in response, I'm just happy to be ab]le to help. After all, there's no gift like giving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here