Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Positives from Saturday

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The chicken pie was gorgeous.

The Mill Road park n ride was super efficient, with little traffic on the A27.

As everyone left early, I ended up in the queue at the bottom of the stairs to the busses , in the rain, and waiting for the busses to return from dropping off the first groups. Queued around half an hour and the journey back was quick .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Is that a joke ? I mean did a steward really nab your wine gums ?

Steward jokingly told my little one he couldn't take his Smarties in and my son almost burst out crying. Bless him. Steward did apologise profusely.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Do people honestly watch the game, or just make their minds up from the result?

Heaton pulled off a string of superb saves in that 1st half. March had a decent effort early, then forced a cracking save when it looked certain to be a goal. Gross (widely criticised) was also suffering at the hands of Heaton, who pulled off two great 1st half saves from his efforts, the second of which was a finger tip effort guiding the ball barely wide of the post, which was quite frankly incredible.

A nothing ball, became a through ball on goal because Dunk slipped over, and we found ourselves 1-0 down and incredibly unlucky to be there.

Second half, they scored two on the break, the second of which came from a clearance that had more of a place at Twickenham than the Amex. A sliding-doors moment on the day, where rather than having a penalty for 1-2, and all the momentum to attack for the equaliser, we find ourselves facing a penalty and going 0-3 down.

Yes we lost, to a team who operated a classic smash and grab, and did it well. But the level of doom and gloom I'm hearing is as if we are in Huddersfield position rather than our own.

Good post. Saved me typing the same. The smell of wringing wet bed linen is becoming overpowering. We're going to be fine and easily so!

it was another day nearer Easter, by which time we will know if we are relegated or not (dont expect us to need to beat ManC on the last day to stay up :) ) Also a day nearer the winter ending brrrrrrhhh

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An over officious steward confiscated my bag of wine gums upon entry stating I might throw them onto the pitch. Probably saved me 300 calories although still felt a bit annoyed as they cost me £1.50.

Would that be flagged up under confectionary or alcohol. I would want clarification from Barbour.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As everyone left early, I ended up in the queue at the bottom of the stairs to the busses , in the rain, and waiting for the busses to return from dropping off the first groups. Queued around half an hour and the journey back was quick .

I left on 70 and still didn’t get the first bus. It was heaving up there, a sea of wet and glum faces, even with 20 to go in the match. One of the buses broke down, and tempers got a bit frayed with the stewards indecisiveness.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That’s two weeks running a Premier League goalie has made some saves against us. We didn’t bargain on that did we ?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The Harvey's in WSL was excellent as was the service, yep I know but the ladies who served me were really prompt, efficient and had time for a joke #barberin

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Heaton pulled off a string of superb saves in that 1st half. March had a decent effort early, then forced a cracking save when it looked certain to be a goal. Gross (widely criticised) was also suffering at the hands of Heaton, who pulled off two great 1st half saves from his efforts, the second of which was a finger tip effort guiding the ball barely wide of the post, which was quite frankly incredible.

A nothing ball, became a through ball on goal because Dunk slipped over, and we found ourselves 1-0 down and incredibly unlucky to be there.

Second half, they scored two on the break, the second of which came from a clearance that had more of a place at Twickenham than the Amex. A sliding-doors moment on the day, where rather than having a penalty for 1-2, and all the momentum to attack for the equaliser, we find ourselves facing a penalty and going 0-3 down.

Yes we lost, to a team who operated a classic smash and grab, and did it well. But the level of doom and gloom I'm hearing is as if we are in Huddersfield position rather than our own.

Agree.

But we are starting to cry wolf a bit. I keep finding myself saying, “well, we should have won that one.” Etc

But we didn’t. So, something is a tad wrong. Although, Uncle Tony would say, trust in the stats and it will come right. So, I’ll keep the faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I left on 70 and still didn’t get the first bus. It was heaving up there, a sea of wet and glum faces, even with 20 to go in the match. One of the buses broke down, and tempers got a bit frayed with the stewards indecisiveness.

If, for whatever reason I had to leave on 70 mins, I wouldnt bother going at all. I dont understand people leaving 2 mins earlier if there is only 1 goal in it either way but 20 mins is beyond me.

Jul 7, 2003
Left at full time from WSU, mate stopped for a pee and yet we still walked straight onto the first train back to Brighton.

Oh, and I got the honour of buying [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] a beer after the game

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I won a huge amount of brownie points by agreeing to paint some courtyard walls at the wife's place of work on a Saturday. She was impressed that I had willingly offered to miss the football.

Obviously, she was less impressed when we got home and I got the computer out and said 'right, I'm watching the footie, you can get the tea'. But still, I'm just ahead I think....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Only one positive from Saturday and that is we really was not as bad as a lot of people think we were.
After time to reflect now that my piss has stopped boiling and I have untwisted my balls, we were extremely unlucky in s very strange game.
Could we have played better, yes.
Did we have 2 or 3 that had a really bad game, yes.
If Heaton was not at his very best, if Dunk did not slip and if we had a half decent referee and assistant or VAR we would have won that match.
We were not crap by any stretch, you can't argue against 2 clear penalties and a definite sending off.
It's not often you see 3 world class saves, at least 2 clear penalties and a sending off all in one match.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

What he said. I couldn't help thinking that, with a bit of luck and a lesser goalkeeper, we could have been 3-0 up after five minutes.

But positives to take from Saturday.
- Ashley Barnes was looking good.
- We have the moral high ground.
- Solly March in the first half.
- The Burnley fans looked as miserable after the match as they did before.
- At least we didn't have to go back to Burnley.
- My steak pie was very nice.
- Because of the later kick-off, the journey back to Hampshire was quieter than usual.
- I enjoyed listening to Paul Weller's Stanley Road on the way home.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If, for whatever reason I had to leave on 70 mins, I wouldnt bother going at all. I dont understand people leaving 2 mins earlier if there is only 1 goal in it either way but 20 mins is beyond me.

Have always stayed until final whistle or half way through stoppage time. On the Mill Road park n ride it makes the difference in getting home just 5 miles away, 45 minutes earlier. On Saturday I had man-flu (something I told a NSC poster before the match), and when the game was ‘gone’, we left. Brighton simply don’t have the firepower in them to score batches of late goals.

What was incredible, was the colossal numbers running to buses, car parks and buses outside the stadium. At the park n ride, there were already huge numbers queuing. I would guess a combination of the rain, Burnley having a big lead, late KO.

Did you notice not many people left at final whistle?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just realised that only me and Westy seem to be posting tonight. It is grumpy old ******* time! Bollocks to the rest of you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here