Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] V a r

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They won't do it initially, because football in it's arrogance doesn't seem capable of talking to other sports about they handle it, but in time, I would imagine that they will come to the same realisation as the NFL, and encourage refs to not blow the whistle on marginal calls that will pull back a clear goalscoring opportunity. Let it play out, and if the runner through on goal was offside, it will get pulled back, but if he was onside the goal can stand. Flag goes up, no whistle, if the player misses the offside is given and no-one argues. If the player scores, the offside is given and VAR can overturn if that's wrong.

That's how I'd deal with it, but I'm sure the fantastic brains trust of the footballing authorities will come up with something better.

To me that's the worst thing about VAR. For me one of the great joys of football is the surge of exhilaration when your team score. A quick glance to the linesman is the most any of us do. If the officials are going to let play continue on the grounds that the legality or otherwise of the goal can be decided ex post facto then for me that feeling will be completely neutered.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Isn't that exactly what the linesmen have been told - if in doubt, then DON'T raise your flag for offside. Let play continue and let VAR sort it out ? I think thats (in theory) how its supposed to work. I guess we'll have to get used to the spectacle of more and more goal celebrations having to be put "on hold" while the VAR is checked.

By far my least favourite aspect of the technology.

Good, that is how they should play it out. Maybe they have watched other sports at last. I remember hearing the guy at the RFU on the radio last season, just shell-shocked at how the FA, or anyone amongst football authorities had not even made contact.

Meh, you'll get used to that. It's not like we've never had celebrations "on hold" as we watch the officials have a conflab, and I can honestly not recall a single incident where I've said "I went mad when we scored, but that delay while the ref spoke to the lino beforfe confirming the goal, REALLY took the edge off the moment for me." It's been in cricket for years now, and if anything it builds the tension for an even bigger celebration when the 3rd Umpire confirms it.

I guess we'll wait and see, but if I'm stood next to you when we score a crucial goal, which is either confirmed, or given by VAR, I bet you go no less bandy in the celebration because of it. :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If the officials are going to let play continue on the grounds that the legality or otherwise of the goal can be decided ex post facto then for me that feeling will be completely neutered.

Let's wait and see. If we get awarded a goal in the Semi-Final of the FA Cup that puts us through the the Final, but it was awarded via VAR, you can tell me whether your feelings of exhilaration were "completely neutered."

If you come back saying "yeah, I just stood around, smiling but in no way exhilarated" then I'll eat my smellier sock - which is usually the left for some reason.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Meh, you'll get used to that. It's not like we've never had celebrations "on hold" as we watch the officials have a conflab, and I can honestly not recall a single incident where I've said "I went mad when we scored, but that delay while the ref spoke to the lino beforfe confirming the goal, REALLY took the edge off the moment for me." It's been in cricket for years now, and if anything it builds the tension for an even bigger celebration when the 3rd Umpire confirms it.

I guess we'll wait and see, but if I'm stood next to you when we score a crucial goal, which is either confirmed, or given by VAR, I bet you go no less bandy in the celebration because of it. :lol:

Those "conflab" incidents do occur from time to time, but they're pretty rare. With VAR though, its going to become the norm.

And yes, I think I will go a bit less bandy in celebration because of it - you can't go full-on DISCO when you know there's a review pending, then a minute or two later re-start celebrating when the ref peeps and points to the centre-spot. The moment has been lost, or certainly greatly diminished.

It might end up getting more decisions correct, but it really does come at a cost.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Let's wait and see. If we get awarded a goal in the Semi-Final of the FA Cup that puts us through the the Final, but it was awarded via VAR, you can tell me whether your feelings of exhilaration were "completely neutered."

If you come back saying "yeah, I just stood around, smiling but in no way exhilarated" then I'll eat my smellier sock - which is usually the left for some reason.

I don't have to wait and see, I know it will be neutered. And I've already had a moment like you describe. When Jimmy Case scored against Norwich in the 6th round in 1983 there was a delay whilst the ref and linesman had a conflab. When the goal was confirmed yes we were pleased and celebrated naturally. But I'll tell you this, it was nothing like the feeling when he scored a few weeks later against Sheff Wed in the semi-final.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I really dislike VAR because it seems to be slowing the natural flow of the game, hopefully they can refine it and make the system better. Personally i'd rather they ditched it, controversial decisions have always been part and parcel of football.

A year or two ago, I would have agreed. There is a stat somewhere on NSC showing Brighton would have been the main beneficiaries of VAR last season to the tune of over £11m. This year, poor refereeing could actually relegate us. I do not recall referees and their assistants being as incompetent as this season to date, and that's just the games we have been involved in. Clear and obvious wrong decisions that have left a whiff of cheating or, at the least unconscious bias, from the officials that I struggle to countenance. VAR has improved decisions from 94% to 98% correct in Italy and I want the same improvement in the Premier League preferably while we are still there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A year or two ago, I would have agreed. There is a stat somewhere on NSC showing Brighton would have been the main beneficiaries of VAR last season to the tune of over £11m. This year, poor refereeing could actually relegate us. I do not recall referees and their assistants being as incompetent as this season to date, and that's just the games we have been involved in. Clear and obvious wrong decisions that have left a whiff of cheating or, at the least unconscious bias, from the officials that I struggle to countenance. VAR has improved decisions from 94% to 98% correct in Italy and I want the same improvement in the Premier League preferably while we are still there.

Sorry, but if we are relegated it will NOT be down to poor refereeing decisions, that is not a decisive factor over 38 games.

If we go down, it'll primarily be due to the fact that we can barely buy a point on the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here