Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] **January Transfer Window 2019**

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
How many do we need? - we only ever play with one, so two seems plenty. Plus there's Connolly.

We need three first team strikers. 2 leaves us very vulnerable to a loss of form, injury or suspension. Plus in any case, in recent weeks, CH has deployed two forwards at times and all three were used against Burnley & Chelsea. We are all hopeful that Connolly will come good but so far he’s never even played in a Premier League game. Expecting him, now, to step up and score the goals we will need is asking far too much.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Can’t see Locadia going in January. It would leave us with only two strikers, unless we’re going to sign another which I just can’t see happening. Much more likely he’ll go in the summer, if it hasn’t worked out. A goal could still change everything for him.

Unfortunately Locadia staying in January also leaves us with only two strikers, unless he proves us all wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We need three first team strikers. 2 leaves us very vulnerable to a loss of form, injury or suspension. Plus in any case, in recent weeks, CH has deployed two forwards at times and all three were used against Burnley & Chelsea. We are all hopeful that Connolly will come good but so far he’s never even played in a Premier League game. Expecting him, now, to step up and score the goals we will need is asking far too much.
We only play one up front. Connolly is fine for the bench if one of Murray and Andone is injured or suspended. And we'll never know how Connolly will cope with the PL until he gets a try.
This idea - which seems to surface time and time again from some on NSC - that we can't play young players because they haven't got experience of the PL ....... sorry, it's absolute bo11ocks. It may be a risk - but it is a risk worth taking. Just because Locadia cost millions, that doesn't necessarily make him essential, not when we have viable alternatives. Which we have.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately Locadia staying in January also leaves us with only two strikers, unless he proves us all wrong.

Not all, I still have faith that he will come good if given time on the pitch rather than a few mins at the end of a game that we are chasing.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
"Premier League Brighton have taken non-league starlet Adam Lovatt on trial as they look try and win the race for his signature"

"The highly-rated Hastings United midfielder is attracting interest from a host of clubs and has already trained with Leeds United in the past month.

Leeds remain keen, but Brighton have made their move and Lovatt has spent the past week with the Seagulls – who are set to open talks with Hastings.

However, Crystal Palace, Brentford, Reading and West Brom are also keen on the 18-year-old who looks set to be moving into professional football in the New Year."

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
"Premier League Brighton have taken non-league starlet Adam Lovatt on trial as they look try and win the race for his signature"

"The highly-rated Hastings United midfielder is attracting interest from a host of clubs and has already trained with Leeds United in the past month.

Leeds remain keen, but Brighton have made their move and Lovatt has spent the past week with the Seagulls – who are set to open talks with Hastings.

However, Crystal Palace, Brentford, Reading and West Brom are also keen on the 18-year-old who looks set to be moving into professional football in the New Year."

Another victory over Palace?

A few months ago . . .

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/read...-sign-non-league-sensation-adam-lovatt/?amp=1

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We only play one up front. Connolly is fine for the bench if one of Murray and Andone is injured or suspended. And we'll never know how Connolly will cope with the PL until he gets a try.
This idea - which seems to surface time and time again from some on NSC - that we can't play young players because they haven't got experience of the PL ....... sorry, it's absolute bo11ocks. It may be a risk - but it is a risk worth taking. Just because Locadia cost millions, that doesn't necessarily make him essential, not when we have viable alternatives. Which we have.

If we only had two strikers and one of those was injured then we’d be looking extremely thin up front. I think most people would recognise that. One final thought on Connolly. It’s clear that CH doesn’t think he’s ready yet. Rather than “risk” him (your words) in the first team now, I think it’s much more likely that he’ll go out on loan. That’s the model of development the club usually deploy with young talent and i doubt it’ll be any different with him.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Seeing Murray’s performance in the last game, he doesn’t see Locadia as a threat anymore, so has reverted back to his old style of play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we only had two strikers and one of those was injured then we’d be looking extremely thin up front. I think most people would recognise that. One final thought on Connolly. It’s clear that CH doesn’t think he’s ready yet. Rather than “risk” him (your words) in the first team now, I think it’s much more likely that he’ll go out on loan. That’s the model of development the club usually deploy with young talent and i doubt it’ll be any different with him.

We've looked a bit thin up front ever since we've been in tis division, to be fair!

I agree that a loan for Connolly seems a likely and sensible move, but it has to be right. If that doesn't happen for him in January, I'd be equally happy to send Locadia out on loan somewhere to get used to playing in English conditions. We can't loan them both out though (unless we're planning to spend millions on another striker we've never even heard of yet - which IMHO is unlikely!)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Definitely need to see someone up top, I'd love to see us sign Pat Bamford who is rumoured to be dissatisfied at Leeds and has issued a come and get me plea to EPL clubs. Wouldn't break the bank either for a top division striker £7-9m.

Looks like we've missed out on Richard Keogh, could be signing a bumper new deal at Derby.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Definitely need to see someone up top, I'd love to see us sign Pat Bamford who is rumoured to be dissatisfied at Leeds and has issued a come and get me plea to EPL clubs. Wouldn't break the bank either for a top division striker £7-9m.

Looks like we've missed out on Richard Keogh, could be signing a bumper new deal at Derby.
Why Bamford? I'm interested as he hasn't impressed me this year for Leeds and looking at his premier league stats, he's scored 1 goal in 27 appearances. Albeit, i have no idea how many of those were as a sub.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

bamford is not prem standard

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Former Chelsea youngster (OK, he's 25 now) loaned round and round the leagues, probably on too high a wage to want to move on. OK, so he eventually got bought by 'Boro, and now by Leeds. The Championship would seem to be about his level. The fact that he never stays anywhere long would rather worry me too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

What does Dirty Barry say ? I hear James Collins is injured at Villa and tore up his recent deal.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?364502-Dirty-Barry

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We've looked a bit thin up front ever since we've been in tis division, to be fair!

I agree that a loan for Connolly seems a likely and sensible move, but it has to be right. If that doesn't happen for him in January, I'd be equally happy to send Locadia out on loan somewhere to get used to playing in English conditions. We can't loan them both out though (unless we're planning to spend millions on another striker we've never even heard of yet - which IMHO is unlikely!)

If I were Connolly I would be asking to play for our first team, but it would mean changing style if he played to 442 . On the bench and coming on for last 20 mins will give him real experience of the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here