Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ryder cup 2018.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Spieth like Fowler has always struck me as a decent young man but if he even dared to tell Furyk that he couldn’t partner Reed then I am very surprised. In that instant you do what your captain asks, you don’t intimate that you are uncomfortable with a certain player. There must be some truth in it though for Reed to speek out.
Put him with Tiger as know one wants to play with either...... sad.

My mate played a couple of pro ams and the first one he played with lee Westwood. He had a lovely time, he was friendly and gave him tips and tricks ( and taught him course management). He did say to him at the outset that he would help out if he wanted!

His second one was with nick Faldo, who was a miserable so and so who didn't talk to anyone and obviously didn't want to be there.

Chalk and cheese.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My mate played a couple of pro ams and the first one he played with lee Westwood. He had a lovely time, he was friendly and gave him tips and tricks ( and taught him course management). He did say to him at the outset that he would help out if he wanted!

His second one was with nick Faldo, who was a miserable so and so who didn't talk to anyone and obviously didn't want to be there.

Chalk and cheese.

I’ve disliked Faldo as a person ever since he reported Sandy Lyle for putting some sticky plaster on the top of his putter during the Kenyan Open years ago because the glare from the sun was distracting him. Technically yes, not allowed, but who in their right would highlight THAT.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Never liked Faldo, Paul Casey also has a habit of saying the wrong things, but I am not sure he means to though.
I used to live near Wentworth and went to the PGA and world matchplay every year, in general the pro golfers were different class.
Montgomery was a strange one, off the course he was alright, on it he certainly was not, but if he lost or played badly you did not go anywhere near him.
One of my favourite all time golfers though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
[MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION] , please may I ask you a question as someone who plays golf? I know it's already been touched on in this thread, but approximately how many strokes per round is the true difference between these Ryder Cup players and the likes of yourself?

I've read autobios of footballers who were/are gifted golfers with low handicaps of 4 or 6, but they explained that the true gap with tour pro's is far larger that the numbers appear. Their 4 or 6 is based on their better rounds on courses they know intimately, playing under little pressure and without thousands watching.

Hypothetical of course, but would you for example shoot a score 36 higher than RC level players, on the same course under equal pressure?

Here is an article from Todays Golfer by Denis Pugh about how good top pros actually are - some pros still hold handicaps at the club they are affiliated to. Bubba Watson's is +7.7.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news...ou-think--and-have-the-handicaps-to-prove-it/

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just thought I'd add the following: St Andrews Old Course has a par of 72 and a SSS of 73 (6,700yds) compared to the Marquess at Woburn which has a par of 72 and a SSS of 75 (7,300yds)

So in theory Woburn Marquess is 2 shots harder than the Old Course at St Andrews. If the Marquess is 75 SSS, I'd dread to think what Le Golf Nationale is lol.

Whilst not entirely anymore, as it used to be, the SS of a course is based mainly on length. It only gives a rough idea. I would imagine the CSS for Le Golf Nationale for a monthly medal would be about 82! (Yes, I do know it cannot go that high, but never mind)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Last weekend I played so poorly that I lost a ball in the ball washer.

That’s shocking.
When I met my wife in Soho she admitted she was a hooker.
I told her to just try changing her grip a bit.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here is an article from Todays Golfer by Denis Pugh about how good top pros actually are - some pros still hold handicaps at the club they are affiliated to. Bubba Watson's is +7.7.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news...ou-think--and-have-the-handicaps-to-prove-it/

Cheers [MENTION=9822]KZNSeagull[/MENTION] , that explains everything, interesting stuff.

I don't play golf, but guessed that the true chasm was far bigger than the bare numbers suggest, when truly comparing like with like.

A UK amateur scratch golfer, potentially scoring 90 at Augusta, is an interesting benchmark.

The sheer distances even to reach fairway off the tee, the nightmarish greens and the huge hits to the scorecard from misjudgements explain all.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spieth like Fowler has always struck me as a decent young man but if he even dared to tell Furyk that he couldn’t partner Reed then I am very surprised. In that instant you do what your captain asks, you don’t intimate that you are uncomfortable with a certain player. There must be some truth in it though for Reed to speek out.
Put him with Tiger as know one wants to play with either...... sad.

Radio5 covered this today. Speith really did refuse, because of the well publicised Reed comment on the USPGA tour a few months back.

The BBC's experts view was that Furyk is a lovely guy, but possibly too nice for a RC captain, as he allowed players to influence with their various whims and personal dislikes. The envious American pundits on the panel said the Bjorn simply said who's paired with who, no argument.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Was listening to Bob Bubka the other day, he was saying that the American golfers are so pampered in the USA. They like the big wide fairways with very little rough, and demand the clubs to widen the fairway by losing a lot of the rough.
Noticed the course yesterday had 3 different cuts in the rough. Never seen that in the USA, it's either fairway or a light rough.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
L'Albatros course underwent a €10 million revamp last year, which saw 17 bunkers, four back tees and two lakes built for the Ryder Cup. The greens on the first and 16th holes have also been redesigned to locate more pin placements, while the par-3 11th has been remodelled to include new bunkering and a pond in front of the green.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
L'Albatros course underwent a €10 million revamp last year, which saw 17 bunkers, four back tees and two lakes built for the Ryder Cup. The greens on the first and 16th holes have also been redesigned to locate more pin placements, while the par-3 11th has been remodelled to include new bunkering and a pond in front of the green.
It was a great course and a great test of skill and nerve. The 15th being the best example. Even if you nailed the tee shot you needed balls of steel to get near the pin with your second.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Radio5 covered this today. Speith really did refuse, because of the well publicised Reed comment on the USPGA tour a few months back.

The BBC's experts view was that Furyk is a lovely guy, but possibly too nice for a RC captain, as he allowed players to influence with their various whims and personal dislikes. The envious American pundits on the panel said the Bjorn simply said who's paired with who, no argument.
Last Friday on tv after the foursomes , Bjorn said that they discussed pairings on the Thursday night with each other, then again in the morning. He then discussed it again with his various lieutenants after/ during the four-balls and made the decision.

So, he did discuss it with the players but ultimately made the final decision.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last Friday on tv after the foursomes , Bjorn said that they discussed pairings on the Thursday night with each other, then again in the morning. He then discussed it again with his various lieutenants after/ during the four-balls and made the decision.

So, he did discuss it with the players but ultimately made the final decision.

With absolutely no constraints of who doesn't like who. He listened and then firmly made his decisions.

Furyk had to accommodate petty feuds, from individuals.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bob Bubka's too much of a gent to be personal, but he did say on TS an hour ago that Reed calls himself "Mr America" after his good RC showing two years ago. The danger is boasting like that is that you can look a complete cock two years later.

"Captain America" was the nickname I think. A bit like Paul Ince and his self-proclaimed "Guvnor" nickname. All a bit cringeworthy.

In terms of rankings, 11 out of the 12 in the USA's team were in the world top 20, Europe had 6. The Americans had 31 Majors between them, Europe had 8. So all the numbers were heavily weighted towards the USA team, but as someone alluded to in the aftermath, the Europeans park their egos at the door and come together as a team. The Americans seem incapable of doing that. And that is probably the single biggest factor.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Captain America" was the nickname I think. A bit like Paul Ince and his self-proclaimed "Guvnor" nickname. All a bit cringeworthy.

In terms of rankings, 11 out of the 12 in the USA's team were in the world top 20, Europe had 6. The Americans had 31 Majors between them, Europe had 8. So all the numbers were heavily weighted towards the USA team, but as someone alluded to in the aftermath, the Europeans park their egos at the door and come together as a team. The Americans seem incapable of doing that. And that is probably the single biggest factor.

I do agree that their complete lack of any team ethic played a big part, but ultimately the fact that Woods, Mickelson, Reed and (until Sunday) Finau, all played terrible golf, was the bigger problem. They were carrying a load of passengers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here