Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India Fifth Test - The Oval

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Gavaskar commentating on TMS, I'm sure he wouldn't have played like the Current Indian Top Order.

Absolutely no-one trying to bat time to take it deep it the final Day. Alright you are almost certain to Lose but why not make England work hard for it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gavaskar commentating on TMS, I'm sure he wouldn't have played like the Current Indian Top Order.

Absolutely no-one trying to bat time to take it deep it the final Day. Alright you are almost certain to Lose but why not make England work hard for it?

The 3 wickets were all defensive shots - not sure they've done a lot wrong other than got out to 3 excellent deliveries.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
(Cricinfo) As soon as India lose a wicket, a typical India cricket **** writes:

Mohit Sehgal: "Badly missing V Sehwag in such a situation, Probably the only player who can think of chasing 464 in such a situation."

As if Sehwag OR ANYONE ELSE would even consider chasing 464 with one day and half a session to bat. FFS what a tit.

What a clueless prat. Highest chase at the Oval is 263 too. EVER......and no team has ever chased more than 418. Sure Sehwag might have had a go though :D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know we were at home, but what a feel-good feeling for English Cricket tonight, compared to just five months ago.

Definitely far more positives this summer.

Plus a great way for Cook to bow out. To average over 45 in such a long career, is a truly great achievement for an English batsman. In addition, he was a key part of all those Ashes test series wins.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
From afar, it looked and sounded amazing. Great respect from a knowledgeable crowd, as well as the Indian players, towards Cook. Anderson still has the firepower, incredible.

Great crowd in terms of numbers and the reaction. Perfect blend of recognition and respect early on but also a raucous and continuous chanting of Cook’s name for the final few overs, because why not?!
As for Anderson... please don’t ever retire!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I know we were at home, but what a feel-good feeling for English Cricket tonight, compared to just five months ago.

Definitely far more positives this summer.

Plus a great way for Cook to bow out. To average over 45 in such a long career, is a truly great achievement for an English batsman. In addition, he was a key part of all those Ashes test series wins.

England have been in general the same for years, excellent at home and yet poor overseas. We lack quality slow bowlers which has been highlighted by the inclusion of the likes of Tredwell and Batty on recent tours.
The selection for the Sri Lanka tour will be interesting, two new opening batsmen and a couple of newish spinners. I can't see Rashid getting in as Root doesn't seem to rate him in the five day game, I'd like to see us gamble on youth and include Virdi(Surrey) and Leach (Somerset), it won't happen as Moeen will fill one spot as spinner because of his batting ability.
At some stage either the likes of Vince are going to have to come in and bat three or Bairstow, Stokes and Buttler are going to have to step up the order.
Interesting times ahead but England has a lot of young talent knocking at the door. I genuinely think the future of English cricket is in a good place we just need to the patient with the younger players.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hope India can survive today. The series is a lot closer than 4-1.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England have been in general the same for years, excellent at home and yet poor overseas.

I think there are very few sides in the history of the game that have ever bucked that trend (I stand to be corrected on stats though...). Maybe only the great West Indies and Australia sides about the only 2 who consistently won series overseas?

Been a lot of calls to drop the toss and allow the away team to always have the choice to bat or bowl, therefore negating the huge statistical advantage of playing at home.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Get Rahul and it will be all over and England win the series emphatically. 4 - 1. They have shown to be far better and the only real opposition to them has been Kohli with others chipping in odd decent innings.but not consistently good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Almost impossible to survive the day but hope they put up a fight. Agree 3-2 would have been a fairer result, England's 7-11 have saved them both batting and bowling..

You can't talk of England's lower order as thought they are all rabbits who've miraculously got a bit lucky in this series. Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Curran are all-rounders, England are truly blessed in that regard and any side facing us in English conditions find it hard to achieve a series win.

India have been too reliant on Kohli for runs and have struggled throughout the series against the swing and seam onslaught. All of our bowlers have - at one time or another - looked like world-beaters against this lot. It is going to be 4-1 to England and India will return to the sub-continent duly chastened.

That said, I am under no illusion that were we to play them in India the series result would be the same in reverse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here