Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Petit Pois and Etch would be good bets for dinner - neither hits the chilli fix though.

Maybe for lunch 64 Degrees - everyone else seems to rave about it although I wasn't overly keen. Mrs W and I went there for lunch and then on to a spa. We were hungary pretty quickly after which I don't expect from a meal that costs that much. Although it might have been the spa activity that made us hungray.

Was the spa in Hungary? . . . or am l missing something here? :wink:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Manjus, bottom of Trafalgar St, Brighton.
Went in for lunch today. Lucky to get in as all the other tables were reserved. Small place which is family run. Two brothers front of house, Mum in kitchen (82 years old) and the inspiration behind it, helped by sister in law.
North Indian vegetarian restaurant, catering for vegans and gluten free customers.
We went for the Thali (x2) which was excellent. £25 including a craft beer.
Very friendly staff and will be making this a regular place to go.
http://www.manjus.co.uk/

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Went to Semola (Church Road, Hove) last week.
An absolutley fabulous Italian restaurant.
A smaller menu than many Italian restaurants (which I prefer) - I have never understood how you can have 6 densely-packed pages in a menu and cook it all fresh.
We had a first-class starter of meats and cheese, a variety of pastas and pizza for main, and a tiramisu to die for to finish, with a good range of wines.
The kitchen is open onto the restaurant, and the chefs were precise and clean.
Overall, just about the best (and most authentic) Italian restaurant I have visited outside of Italy itself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A trip out to celebrate my new job and we go to Riddle and Finns ( the beach one ). Been to the Lanes one and loved the food but not the seating arrangements. Even got a seat outside .... then it went downhill !!!! Mrs W had the squid and it was nice enough. I had mussels - undercooked and not clean properly. Had the manager try them and he agreed. Mains were smoked haddock and monk fish. Both not seasoned and entirely bland - another two dishes wiped from the bill. The free cheeseboard was nice as was the wine. Service was VERY slow .... an hour between starters and main. Overall, awful. Won't be going back in a hurry 1/10.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A trip out to celebrate my new job and we go to Riddle and Finns ( the beach one ). Been to the Lanes one and loved the food but not the seating arrangements. Even got a seat outside .... then it went downhill !!!! Mrs W had the squid and it was nice enough. I had mussels - undercooked and not clean properly. Had the manager try them and he agreed. Mains were smoked haddock and monk fish. Both not seasoned and entirely bland - another two dishes wiped from the bill. The free cheeseboard was nice as was the wine. Service was VERY slow .... an hour between starters and main. Overall, awful. Won't be going back in a hurry 1/10.

That is a shame as every time we've been there it has been outrageously superb, going again in two weeks time

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That is a shame as every time we've been there it has been outrageously superb, going again in two weeks time

We were suprised as we've eaten in the Lanes one and you only ever hear good reviews of them. Strangely there was a very negative review added to Tripadvisor for last night .... maybe they had a bad night BUT their issue is that there are so many competitors in B&H that they can't afford to have a bad night.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Having just binged watched all four series of 'My Name is Earl' I fancy a trip to The Crabshack (Worthing), probably lunchtime with a beer...

Any good? If so any offers/specials worth checking out ? Ta

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having just binged watched all four series of 'My Name is Earl' I fancy a trip to The Crabshack (Worthing), probably lunchtime with a beer...

Any good? If so any offers/specials worth checking out ? Ta

I've only been the once, principally because I'm a veggie, but yes it is good and well-regarded by most. Certainly worth a visit if you've not been before.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Little Fish Market
This was my second visit, having first been soon after it opened. I wasn't terribly impressed then. There was ambition, good ingredients and, at times, good execution. There was also bad execution, and a disappointing wine list -- including an abomination, an apple ice 'wine' from Canada. It seemed to be trying very hard, but not delivering on its ambition.

In the intervening three? (four?, five?) years, either it's transformed itself and really got its act together, or I (we) was (were) wrong in our assessment. [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] has calmly and persistently opined that it's the best restaurant in Brighton. I think I now agree with that. The ambition's still there, but it's delivered on, and I can only think of two 'errors' in the six courses (plus extras) that we had. One of those was with the bread, which was for the most part good, but slightly undercooked at the bottom -- this could easily have been dealt with by cutting away that bottom part, and we wouldn't have noticed. The other was a dish that one in our party described as one that 'doesn't eat well'. That's an accurate description, it was lots of nice things (crab, potato and olive crisps, dried tomato) that didn't go well together. In contrast, all the other dishes transpired to be more than the sum of their parts. Three in particular stand out. First, one of those extras, which was an egg shell, containing an artichoke puree, egg yolk, smoked haddock and a little bit of passion fruit. Another was the dessert, containing lots of different forms of raspberry that [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] has already enthused about on this thread. But the final one was the show stopper, which was fish and chips, with tartare sauce. Quite comfortably the best fish, chips and tartare sauce that the four of us had encountered. The cod(?) was in the most delicate batter, but had been brined for 30 minutes which did something wonderful to its texture -- Mr 'Doesn't Eat Well' thought it was moist, I thought it was firm; either way (assuming it can't be both), it was just extraordinary.

Still not wild on their wine list, which is about the only aspect that could be improved upon in my view -- the best being an impressive Grillo from Planeta. I can see why it's being talked about in terms of Michelin stars as, on this evidence, it's more than worthy of one.

I went for the first time on Friday and was equally impressed. The service was spot on and the food delivered.

The egg appetiser and fish and chips you mention were on the menu and didn't disappoint. Passion fruit is an unusual addition but it really worked. And the fish and chips really was perfect.

No complaints from me with regard to the bread. The ideal vehicle to mop up the array of foams and sauces, including a wonderful green Thai curry that came with crab. The star of the show for me though was the lobster; not only did it look beautiful but it was also big on flavour.

One minor gripe was that my turbot was underseasoned ones and a smidge overdone. The dish was still good overall though.

As you'd expect from a chef of his experience, the pudding was much more than an afterthought. A beautiful combination of raspberry, almond and pistachio rounded off the meal perfectly.

Everything was washed down with a bottle of vinho Verde that did what it said on the tin- crisp, clean and refreshing with a touch of fizz.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read this, and thought of you.
Am very keen to go, and am by no means put off by the decibels.

Great review, as always by Rayner. This place is right up my street.

I took a couple of friends before the Cup semi-final. I’d say it’s the perfect place for lunch prior to a London away game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Last night my brother and his wife took my wife and me to AMI Bistro in Rowlands Rd Worthing for a good evening. The food was great and the service couldnt be faulted. I will definitely be going again and would rate it 9/10 It would have been 10 but like most restaurants these days when providing Liquer coffees did niot ask if we wanted sugar so as to add it at the same time as the brandy. and thus not disturb the cream.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My mum can’t come to the Burnley game so the GLDHI is using her seat. We’re making a weekend of it, and have booked Riddle & Finn’s for Friday night and Little Fish Market for after we batter Burnley. Any particular favouritesoff their menus?

Also, brunch recommendations for Sat & Sun very welcome.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
My mum can’t come to the Burnley game so the GLDHI is using her seat. We’re making a weekend of it, and have booked Riddle & Finn’s for Friday night and Little Fish Market for after we batter Burnley. Any particular favouritesoff their menus?

Also, brunch recommendations for Sat & Sun very welcome.

Obviously Little Fish Market is set menu so no choices. As for R&F - barring my last visit - I've always enjoyed the smoked haddock with champagne sauce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here