Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] They don’t pay any road tax and they get free beer!!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Theres nothing but CONSTANT berating of cyclists on here at the moment & its getting incredibly boring, so perhaps the pitchfork brigade are the ones that need to lighten up a bit.

Ah well; perhaps best not to take anything on NSC too seriously.:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Post 4# on this thread shows that you rather " Glibly " would accept deaths of some innocent people? Any death on the road in any way in any vehicle is sad, however, sticking to the rules would considerably reduce risk on the road.
I see my signature is still more a statement of fact and not a handy note.

Perhaps you should concentrate on the vehicles that cause death and not those that in your eyes cause a nuisance.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Because we don't have too, they only apply to licensed vehicles.

Alternatively your tiny minority of drivers that are 'colour blind' cause hundreds of needless DEATHS on the road EVERY YEAR. That's thousands upon thousands of husband, wives, parents, children that won't ever see a loved one again.
All because someone in a 2 tonne death machine decided they, their phone call, their sat nav, their text message, was more important than someone else's life.
So perhaps instead of whataboutary you turn your attention to that instead of virtually all cyclists putting themselves in harms way, having failed to the risks involved.

Cyclists can **** off...

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Funny that after reading on here "2 tonne death machine" that a banner ad for a Rolls Royce popped up. I guess Bozzer's genius algorithms are connecting direct to the core market here at NSC....

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Cyclists can **** off...

B8BDFED7-612B-4B2C-8515-E3B2C0E67943.png

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Cyclists going through red lights can cause accidents.

Cyclists going through red lights can get flattened by cars going about their normal business driving through a green light... That's all I'm saying.

I used to race (at a lower level, granted) and cycled 200+ miles a week in training. If you ride like a dick, don't complain if a car hits you. You are not made of steel - and even if you are 100 times more self important and feel more entitled than a car to be on the road, a tyre print across your barnet is something you deserve if you don't follow the rules of the road and stay aware.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cyclists going through red lights can get flattened by cars going about their normal business driving through a green light... That's all I'm saying.

I used to race (at a lower level, granted) and cycled 200+ miles a week in training. If you ride like a dick, don't complain if a car hits you. You are not made of steel - and even if you are 100 times more self important and feel more entitled than a car to be on the road, a tyre print across your barnet is something you deserve if you don't follow the rules of the road and stay aware.
Just how stupid do you have to be to not understand.

Cyclists can get hurt if they jump red lights.
People are killed when cars do it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Ah well; perhaps best not to take anything on NSC too seriously.:thumbsup:

In the last week on here I've seen a couple of threats against riders. No-one threatened specifically, but drivers with a hatred towards cyclists are becoming more and more common place - and unfortunately someone I know was a victim of those attitudes turning into actual action, when he was simply riding along minding his own business....so forgive me for taking comments like these "too seriously". I would prefer to see myself, friends & family safe out on their bikes, rather than laugh off the "banter" on here.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the last week on here I've seen a couple of threats against riders. No-one threatened specifically, but drivers with a hatred towards cyclists are becoming more and more common place - and unfortunately someone I know was a victim of those attitudes turning into actual action, when he was simply riding along minding his own business....so forgive me for taking comments like these "too seriously". I would prefer to see myself, friends & family safe out on their bikes, rather than laugh off the "banter" on here.

I apologise for poking the bear.
I find it funny because 99.9% of my interactions with the car drivers of Sussex (Surrey and Hampshire) have been fantastic.
I think I'm very fortunate to be sharing the roads of Sussex with it's drivers.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I apologise for poking the bear.
I find it funny because 99.9% of my interactions with the car drivers of Sussex (Surrey and Hampshire) have been fantastic.
I think I'm very fortunate to be sharing the roads of Sussex with it's drivers.

Dont apologize Stat...like you, I find the majority of drivers are OK - but discussions like this bring out all the idiots you need to watch out for on the roads.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dont apologize Stat...like you, I find the majority of drivers are OK - but discussions like this bring out all the idiots you need to watch out for on the roads.

Let's face it, NSC brings out the idiots on all sorts of topics. They know who they are, they revel in it. :wrong:

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's all posturing, I bet most of this lot have meekly waved at us, while being secretly jealous of our health, freedom and vitality.

Given half the chance they'd be chasing you around the playground pulling your ponytail

Even [MENTION=99]B.W.[/MENTION] is clearly a huge fan of Bradley Wiggins.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Plenty of the drivers on here are also cyclists, so they have a foot on each pedal, so to speak.
As always, some good and some bad on each side of the discussion.
However, as I said before, if you want a full on serious discussion about anything, without any piss taking or 'banter' ,best not venture a view on NSC.
Personally, I don't think there is much harm in gentle piss taking, but some may disagree.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My brother lives in Bologna, but doesn’t drink beer.

He cycles to work, though. He is a teacher, so he pays no road tax and gets too many holidays.

Teacher AND a cyclist? These dirty perverts make my blood boil! :rant:

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice.

So that's the carrot. I'd like to see a bit more stick though for those that drive when they really don't have to.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice.

So that's the carrot. I'd like to see a bit more stick though for those that drive when they really don't have to.

Nobody has to drive anywhere. :whistle:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Any ideas on punishment? I’d assume it’s a fine as I don’t really know what else the authorities can do in such circumstances. I’m genuinely curious about it and not just trying to get ammo for a hate campaign about cyclists.

So i guess the use of that act depends on what happened (there were called for laws to be updated, see first article)

Cyclist convicted of 'wanton and furious driving' over pedestrian's death
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ted-wanton-furious-driving-pedestrians-death/

Sentencing
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...jailed-for-18-months-over-death-of-pedestrian

The first article also included this:
Cycle deaths | 32 pedestrians killed in 10-years
Although rare, pedestrians are killed or seriously injured on Britain's roads every year after being hit by bicycles.

Some 32 died and 820 suffered serious injuries after colliding with cyclists between 2005 and 2015, according to a Cycling UK report.

Around four-fifths of the fatalities and almost three quarters of the serious injuries happened on roads, not pavements or verges.

In "urban areas", excluding motorways, cycles were involved on average in just over 1% of pedestrian fatalities between 2011 and 2015, according to the report.

During the same four-year period, pedal bikes were involved in 1.8% of serious pedestrian casualties and comprised 2.3% of traffic.

Cyclists are "often seen as a major danger to pedestrians", but do "little harm" compared with motor vehicles, the organisation said.

It added this was "all the more surprising given that, unlike driving, most cycle mileage occurs in areas of high pedestrian activity".

- It doesn't say if any of those incidents were as a result of cyclists going through red lights or how many may have been caused by the pedestrians themselves, stepping out in front of the cyclists and giving them no time to react to avoid a collision

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Has anyone mentioned there is no such thing as Road Tax in the UK ?

If they haven't - there is no such thing as Road Tax in the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here