Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What will cost us this season...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that if it was a question of money the same player would be still available at the higher price but if it was the player not wanting the move probably not. So we will have to look elsewhere.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
We will have to replace 90% of the squad if we managed to go up, so I wouldn't worry about us being lumbered with an expensive (by Championship standards) striker.

Blimey Icy. 21 players out of our current 25 man squad would be on their way ?.
You'd keep 3 or 4 players, sell the rest and buy another 20 !!!
Of course we will.*

*we won't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey Icy. 21 players out of our current 25 man squad would be on their way ?.
You'd keep 3 or 4 players, sell the rest and buy another 20 !!!
Of course we will.*

*we won't.

There may have been a slight exaggeration in my original post :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
Frederico Macheda not good enough for us to consider but on trial at Watford.

How do you know he's "not good enough for us" and I suspect the reason he's on trial at Watford is because he and his agent want him to play for a Premier League Club who play premier league wages.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All this arguing about whether we could or should have got a fast second forward/number 10 in this summer, whether we tried hard enough, whether any were available, on and on and on and on......................................

Why don't we just go out and get a twenty goal a season left back, then everyone'll be happy!

NB He's better be left footed though, otherwise some will still moan........................................................

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I don't know who the two were, I know one.........................Your other questions I have no clue about the answer to your other questions.

The one thing I was curious about your question was - You asked if they will still be available in January

I have no idea about why we didn't get them. They obviously were not available in the last window or we would have got them. Sometimes you don't land players because you won't pay as much as someone else is willing to pay but more often than not, you don't land them because the club doesn't want to sell them or the player doesn't want to move.

Would the Barnes scenario be when a player might become available in January. Barnes wouldn't sign a new contract in August and if we had not sold in January Barnes could go for free. So then a club that did do not want to sell then cuts it's losses. A scenario that may still happen with Stephens.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Frederico Macheda not good enough for us to consider but on trial at Watford.

How do you know he's "not good enough for us" and I suspect the reason he's on trial at Watford is because he and his agent want him to play for a Premier League Club who play premier league wages.

No goals in 11 games at Cardiff last year, and an (8 year career) career grand total of 26 goals, suggests that he really isn't.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldnt have thought that Maceda or his agent would be chasing big money and although not a prolific goal scorer surely an improvement on Manu to do a similar job to SB helping others to score. Must have been worth at least a look at. His Cardiff failure could have been due to the way they played under Slade. Obviously Watford prepared to have a look as readily available.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wouldnt have thought that Maceda or his agent would be chasing big money and although not a prolific goal scorer surely an improvement on Manu to do a similar job to SB helping others to score. Must have been worth at least a look at. His Cardiff failure could have been due to the way they played under Slade. Obviously Watford prepared to have a look as readily available.

And the 26 goals in seven years previous? What was that 'due to'?

Take out one half-way respectable season with Doncaster Rovers (13 in 33), his career tally is 13 goals in 99 appearances.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
For me, the second striker position become a problem as soon as I had seen Baldock play half a dozen games. He does not have the ability to command a starting position in a top Championship side.

Like CMS (who was regularly slaughtered on these boards), he puts effort in and runs about a lot but his goals to game ratio is far inferior to that of CMS (who was often played as a lone striker or as a winger). As with CMS, League 1 is where Baldock should be.

It is a problem and nothing has happened in the past three windows to rectify that problem. But we assume that the money is there but we won't spend it. What if it isn't?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Nailed it.

The club FAILED to sign the striker we so obviously need in the summer. Until that squad gap is closed, we will surely be looking at top 6 at best...

Here we are. The negativity last September, from [MENTION=99]B.W.[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here