Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loanee rumours...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe TB has run out of money so we have to cut our cloth accordingly? :shrug:

I doubt it... now, choosing to invest less is players is his prerogative, but I believe it would be a choice, and not dictated by him running short of dosh.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Spanish Dave & Orlandi were far better quality. Calde puts in better crosses than Conway did.

Interesting. I'll take the easy one first: I disagree regarding Calde. Nothing against the fella, I think he's a good crosser of the ball but, unfortunately, should not be almost constantly played in front of Bruno, as he has been in recent games. His frequent appearances in that position only go to demonstrate just how much we needed to sign a winger or two in Jan. Just my opinion like. Better crosser than conway? No, not for me.

Now, I am not going to deny that the other two are very technically gifted players (by our standards), but were both hampered by injuries, and inconsistency of the highest order, making them both, IMHO, less effective than Conway. I saw the latter as consistent, and quickly improving, whilst with us. Our board decided in their infinite wisdom to not loosen the purse strings enough to secure his services at the end of his loan. Another mistake. It was almost like we got him match fit, then let him go. Another recruitment ****-up. Again, just an opinion.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You watch a different game to me then, I thought Conway's delivery and crossing was by in large very very good, certainly better than the likes of Buckley, Noone and all our other wide men.

I (obviously) agree.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Now, I am not going to deny that the other two are very technically gifted players (by our standards), but were both hampered by injuries, and inconsistency of the highest order, making them both, IMHO, less effective than Conway. I saw the latter as consistent, and quickly improving, whilst with us. Our board decided in their infinite wisdom to not loosen the purse strings enough to secure his services at the end of his loan. Another mistake. It was almost like we got him match fit, then let him go. Another recruitment ****-up. Again, just an opinion.

I'm sure I was told that we were all ready to sign Conway when his loan ran out (or maybe before) but Oscar wouldn't make his mind up and when he eventually did decide we needed him, Bolton had stepped in.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Being slightly less belligerent than [MENTION=99]B.W.[/MENTION], I'll not quote every response. But I found Conway to be dramatically overrated and underwhelming in our team. In a team set up to attack, he might be more effective and his assist stat for last season surprised me (although the site I looked at had him second to Trippier at the top of the assists league, 14 to 13). If he played every game like he played against Leicester, he'd be one hell of a player. But he doesn't, he lacks that consistency and pace so it's a no from me.

Personally, I would rather see Noone back than Conway and I know plenty of people would disagree with that. But he offered balance on the left with his left foot, genuine dribbling skills rather than knock it past them and run after it, and was a lot more creative than LuaLua or Conway, there was just never anyone to pick out. Leon Best is far more selfish and likely to be on the end of deliveries from the wings, so we need more service into the box! O'Grady wouldn't complain either.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You watch a different game to me then, I thought Conway's delivery and crossing was by in large very very good, certainly better than the likes of Buckley, Noone and all our other wide men.

Just the one game? After watching him in several games I thought he was ok, no more than that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sadly the Thursday thing is for an existing loan player, would have though the accommodation would have been sorted sooner.

Sssshhhhh chances are someone will sign this week and U can still take the credit..

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Being slightly less belligerent than [MENTION=99]B.W.[/MENTION], I'll not quote every response. But I found Conway to be dramatically overrated and underwhelming in our team. In a team set up to attack, he might be more effective and his assist stat for last season surprised me (although the site I looked at had him second to Trippier at the top of the assists league, 14 to 13). If he played every game like he played against Leicester, he'd be one hell of a player. But he doesn't, he lacks that consistency and pace so it's a no from me.

Personally, I would rather see Noone back than Conway and I know plenty of people would disagree with that. But he offered balance on the left with his left foot, genuine dribbling skills rather than knock it past them and run after it, and was a lot more creative than LuaLua or Conway, there was just never anyone to pick out. Leon Best is far more selfish and likely to be on the end of deliveries from the wings, so we need more service into the box! O'Grady wouldn't complain either.

I too would welcome Craig Noone back. I thought he was available as he was rumoured to be going on loan to Norwich. I loved him here at The Amex and I am sure the like of Best & O'Grady would welcome a genuine wide man feeding them crosses.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I too would welcome Craig Noone back. I thought he was available as he was rumoured to be going on loan to Norwich. I loved him here at The Amex and I am sure the like of Best & O'Grady would welcome a genuine wide man feeding them crosses.

And that's all we really need. Just to have wingers staying wide, whipping in the crosses. The inverted wingers concept annoys me and it's wasting both our wingers and our strikers because the service they get is pretty much useless. We should have natural width from players on their natural side - less of the cutting in and shooting nonsense and more of the getting on the outside and putting crosses into the box. Either that, or get the full backs more intent on piling crosses into the box and having people in there to attack the first ball and any knock downs. It might be old fashioned, but it also might be the difference between scoring goals or continuing to be as blunt as a blunt pencil which has never heard of a sharpener.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here