Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] An ignorant cyclists

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are these rural cycle paths less suitable for road bikes with skinny tyres at high pressure? Due to small stones that might puncture the tyres and/or a surface that provides more resistant?

Just asking. A road cycling former colleague avoided them and preferred to stick to roads.

My husband does.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Many cycle paths are ill thought out wastes of time, money & effort that go nowhere. If we are to get anywhere near a liveable planet we need to put the car in a much smaller car path and prioritise sustainable forms of transport, make cycle roads the norm.
Unfortunately as car drivers, insulated in our convenient little tin boxes, we continue to pump out toxins into the environment with impunity, and little care for the fate of future generations.
Maybe we are just too thick?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
just past the oyster catcher

Then he should be on the cycle path.
He might not know it's there, or where it goes, something I have been guilty of in the past.
As I'm getting progressively slower I feel safe enough to use cycle paths and have 'missed' a few this year.

I ask for specifics because this is a very 'special' path.
This new and expensive path connects nearly Littlehampton to the new Bognor Relief Road.

It's only on the north side of the road, so it isn't accessible from Littlehampton.
(This rider had 2 safe access points before the Oyster Catcher)
The multi million pound path ends and by that I genuinely mean ends, at the river Arun, so it's not what you call integrated.

As for cycle paths never used - they are used but because they are so bloody efficient they always look empty.
I ride on that particular path most weeks and ALWAYS pass someone.

Felpham Seagull

May 15, 2013
Felpham
Many cycle paths are ill thought out wastes of time, money & effort that go nowhere. If we are to get anywhere near a liveable planet we need to put the car in a much smaller car path and prioritise sustainable forms of transport, make cycle roads the norm.
Unfortunately as car drivers, insulated in our convenient little tin boxes, we continue to pump out toxins into the environment with impunity, and little care for the fate of future generations.
Maybe we are just too thick?

you sound it

Felpham Seagull

May 15, 2013
Felpham
Then he should be on the cycle path.
He might not know it's there, or where it goes, something I have been guilty of in the past.
As I'm getting progressively slower I feel safe enough to use cycle paths and have 'missed' a few this year.

I ask for specifics because this is a very 'special' path.
This new and expensive path connects nearly Littlehampton to the new Bognor Relief Road.

It's only on the north side of the road, so it isn't accessible from Littlehampton.
(This rider had 2 safe access points before the Oyster Catcher)
The multi million pound path ends and by that I genuinely mean ends, at the river Arun, so it's not what you call integrated.

As for cycle paths never used - they are used but because they are so bloody efficient they always look empty.
I ride on that particular path most weeks and ALWAYS pass someone.

nice one well said

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
nice one well said

I guess I have to mention the fact he wasn't 4 foot from said cycle path.
Unless the road for each lane of traffic is 2 foot wide, which would be nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have just street viewed Bridge Road Littlehampton, sadly though I'm too old to know how to put the image up here.

Which is a shame because at the river it clearly shows, provision for cyclists then nothing.
Followed by an incredibly busy 4 way roundabout with no provision for cyclists for at least 1/4 of a mile in any direction.

Just imagine how happy you lot in you death wagons would be if a new road suddenly stopped?

Strange how the actual facts and 'traveling a mile in someone else's tyre tracks' can change situations.
(By that point this person still should have been on path, if he knew it was there)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't be angry at car drivers...
Pity them, instead.

D9C4DbWXsAAPMYp.jpg

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Cyclists briefly holding traffic up on Ditchling Beacon or the Pycombe-Clayton road

versus

Drivers using mobiles or speeding

..... the latter is both illegal and the ultimate is selfish behaviour.

i drive and cycle, for the luv of god and all things holy, how can motorists be such total nobeads?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i drive and cycle, for the luv of god and all things holy, how can motorists be such total nobeads?

Arrogant, ignorant and lazy.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I am sure that when I was studying the Highway Code 50 odd years ago in preparation for my Driving Test the book contained a road sign for a compulsory cycle track. Less sure, I think there was one on what is now Crawley Avenue (A23) then known as the Crawley By pass. I'm not sure if that cycle track still exists. It was separated from the roadway by a grass verge and now may just be a footpath?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here