Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.

Others have been polite but honestly, you don't deserve the effort.

This is singularly the most offensive thing I have read today. If you are fishing then you should be f**king ashamed of yourself. If you are serious then you are just a f**king shit.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
....If you are serious then you are just a f**king shit.

Not the right way to go about changing someone's viewpoint, is it? :shrug:

Instead of 'outrage' and vicious retaliation, why can't people just say 'You're wrong pal. This is why you're wrong - because.. "

That's the trouble these days. We get spoon fed a viewpoint then whipped up into such a frenzy that if anyone dare counter it they end up being hung, drawn and quartered with some kind of mob mentality. I was being driven (in a very slow moving traffic jam) in a left hand drive car at the time the huge media thing was on about being on the phone whilst driving. I was on the phone in the passenger seat (which in the UK is the drivers seat, of course) and some old geezer almost had a coronary thrombosis waving his arms around, effing this and effing that, making cut throat gestures and w**k*r signs, making phone call gestures, spittle flicking from his gritted teeth in a blind fury.

I pointed to the empty dashboard in front of me and changed his tune, but you'd have thought I was beheading a kitten with a pen knife the way he was acting. He was 'outraged' on behalf of the wider world, clearly. I will state again that the car never got above a slow walking pace.

All I'm saying is that instead of shooting the OP between the eyes, just educate him? If he's not prepared to listen, or doesn't want to know, then maybe he can then be adjudged a tosser - but at least give him the chance first.....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t agree with a lot of what you have typed. I have spent a lot of my professional life working in the area of neuroscience so I’m acutely aware of what depression is, it’s debilitating affects and its ability to impact anyone seemingly indiscriminately. My mother suffered from it. 2 good friends have suffered. And replying specifically to your post it’s a massive problem with middle aged men.

Your attitude really does not help.

Yours, a liberal snowflake.

This.

Depression or any form of mental illness, is a leveller that can and does destroy the joy of living for any sufferer. Having money in the bank or playing sport as your profession, may well not lift feelings of despair and wanting to leave this life early.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't know if I am one of the friends [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] was talking about as I can't remember how much I have discussed my period of depression following the death of my dad seven years ago with him. It completely messed me up at the time, and I couldn't function for a few months.

The OP shows a complete lack of understanding of what depression is, as has been clearly explained by several contributors to this thread. Difficulties in life can bring it on, negatively impacting the chemical and neurological balances in the brain - that's what happened with me - but for others these imbalances occur naturally. I am grateful that this is not the case for me.

Keith Flint, Kurt Cobain, Robin Williams, Gary Speed, Ian Curtis...amongst many others, seemingly had it all, but were so depressed that they took their own lives.

I guess the OP would have told them to 'man up'.

Other than chemically, depression can simply come from a loveless childhood, with literally selfish parents showing little tactile love, friendship, warmth and interest in their kids achievements (no matter how small).

All can seem alright at the time, but it comes out later in the then adult’s 20’s or 30’s. This is so common in these isles, and goes across all socio-economic classes ... for example, I’ve known many ‘posh’/wealthy folk, whose pushy and cold parents had sent them away to boarding schools, adversely affecting their offspring in adult life.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah maybe it is with middle aged men but not millionaire middle aged men. Not dismissing mental health but I am millionaire footballers who claim to suffer from it.

Just out of interest, what's the financial threshold where you can or cannot suffer from depression?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Since you mentioned "drugs related", I thought I'd tell you my story. I used to take ecstasy nearly every weekend while I held down a very physically-demanding job in the week. Was I entitled to let my hair down at the end of the week? Did anyone know the long-term damage of a raver's drug that caused no problems for bouncers or fellow clubbers at the time? Well, I can honestly tell you that I was very, very close to ending my life as I destroyed the feel-good receptors in my brain in the years that followed. After that I became a valium addict with my self-esteem at the lowest it could possibly ever become. The problem I have now is short-term memory loss and remembering people's names. Still, it serves me right for enjoying myself at weekends and deserve to be labelled as a down and out drug addict that you seem keen to point out that I chose a destructive path.

I can think of a number of things to call you but as I'm a polite person on here I'll settle on ignorant. I don't know much about you but my God, you are a very lucky person indeed to have never suffered thoughts of a way out of a prison in your mind and cause upset to family and friends around you.

We're discussing mental health illness now in a way that saves thousands of lives a year. But poor you - we should all just "man up" and keep a stiff upper-lip, shouldn't we? :wozza:

What a strange post. So you thought that the only way you could enjoy yourself was to take ecstasy? In order to "let your hair down" you had to take drugs? Didn't you realise that it was perfectly possible to have a bloody good time without taking drugs? I lived through the 60s when there were plenty of drugs around, but did I feel the need to take any? No. Did I have a truly excellent time in the 60s? Yes. You knew ecstasy was a drug and yet you took it on most weekends. Now you're messed up. Nothing more to say really.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What interests me is how come everyone is suddenly talking about mental health. It seems like every second person has a mental health problem. Can't turn on the tele or the radio without someone bleating on about it. Turn the clock back 50 years and it wasn't a subject that was mentioned very often. There were a few folks in St Francis Hospital and that was about it. So what has happened? Is it just a passing fashion? Is it caused by too many people having too much "stuff" and a lot of other people getting overly upset because they don't have as much "stuff" as their friends and neighbours? How much of it is drugs related? How come it is now talked about as a major problem whereas 50 years ago it wasn't? Has the world gone mad?

Because countless numbers have always suffered, many in silence leading to suicide, or self harm, or being desperately miserable. Or they were whisked off to the huge asylums, where many were given ECT treatment. In my extended family alone, both sides, there were suicides in ‘the good old days’ by sticking their heads in the old coal gas fuelled ovens. I’ve witnessed other lifelong sufferers.

It’s always been widespread.

It’s a massive plus about our nation and society, that finally it’s being discussed, accepted and hopefully there will eventually be more NHS assistance to the poor sufferers.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was told last summer, to put money on Danny Rose going to Manchester Utd. The person who told me, is a friend of a Manchester based football agent, and it was nailed on.
As we all know, Rose never made the move, and my contact said it was a complete mystery why Rose had pulled out.

This may have answered this question.

And, btw, OP and [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION], your talking out of your arses.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Since you mentioned "drugs related", I thought I'd tell you my story. I used to take ecstasy nearly every weekend while I held down a very physically-demanding job in the week. Was I entitled to let my hair down at the end of the week? Did anyone know the long-term damage of a raver's drug that caused no problems for bouncers or fellow clubbers at the time? Well, I can honestly tell you that I was very, very close to ending my life as I destroyed the feel-good receptors in my brain in the years that followed. After that I became a valium addict with my self-esteem at the lowest it could possibly ever become. The problem I have now is short-term memory loss and remembering people's names. Still, it serves me right for enjoying myself at weekends and deserve to be labelled as a down and out drug addict that you seem keen to point out that I chose a destructive path.

I can think of a number of things to call you but as I'm a polite person on here I'll settle on ignorant. I don't know much about you but my God, you are a very lucky person indeed to have never suffered thoughts of a way out of a prison in your mind and cause upset to family and friends around you.

We're discussing mental health illness now in a way that saves thousands of lives a year. But poor you - we should all just "man up" and keep a stiff upper-lip, shouldn't we? :wozza:

A very honest and enlightening post. It’s not strange whatsoever.

It’s almost impossible to persuade teens and young adults not to use drugs, smoke or get addicted to alcohol. Your path was normal, and well done to you after your self-analysis in trying to take a healthier path. Both physically and mentally.

:):thumbsup:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
My mental health struggles are no secret and I have told my 'story' a few times on the relevant Mental Health threads that have popped up - i won't explain them agin here, but a search or a PM to me and i'll explain.

Anyway; enough people have explained how ignorant the OP was and how [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] still appears to be stuck in the past so i'll not pile on more misery and insults on them, just more hope that they can learn what can happen before it (hopefully not) happens to them or a loved one.

I will just say this: If anyone wonders what it can be like or has any questions; ask someone who suffers. You may find a different answer each person you ask but that's also why MH is so hard to treat; because it is so subjective. But that doesn't mean that it is any less destructive or difficult to live with and if even a small amount of understanding can be gained, then it's one step closer to ending the stigma surrounding mental health.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah maybe it is with middle aged men but not millionaire middle aged men. Not dismissing mental health but I am millionaire footballers who claim to suffer from it.

You are an ignorant fool. Do some reading before spouting nonsense. You'll be telling us next, for an example of crass stupidity, that being gay is a lifestyle choice. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] was needlessly polite.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What a strange post. So you thought that the only way you could enjoy yourself was to take ecstasy? In order to "let your hair down" you had to take drugs? Didn't you realise that it was perfectly possible to have a bloody good time without taking drugs? I lived through the 60s when there were plenty of drugs around, but did I feel the need to take any? No. Did I have a truly excellent time in the 60s? Yes. You knew ecstasy was a drug and yet you took it on most weekends. Now you're messed up. Nothing more to say really.

Goldstone I truly hope that you and the OP are simply fishing. If you are, the choice of fishing topic is incredibly insensitive.

If, however, you aren't, then I shall bite, and suggest that rather than use the line "did I feel the need to take any? No." and think how insular it makes you sound, that you consider that there are many different types of people in the world, and they're not all like you.

It's one of the many reasons that the world we all share is an amazing place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the problem with people understanding depression is they think of it in terms of someone feeling depressed because their life is crap and therefore if someone has a seemingly good life it doesn’t make sense that they are depressed.
Agreed, depression is difficult for many of us to understand. Of course people who seem to have everything, can also have depression, and that point appears to have been missed by the OP. I would, however, agree that it would be nice if you don't also have to live without money, a home etc, and that people suffering from depression who have also lost their jobs and homes, have more to deal with.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You're the sort of person who can watch an episode of Poirot and still be baffled after the denoument, aren't you.

Well done you for not taking drugs. Never exceeded the speed limit either I'll wager. :facepalm:

A few new candidates for my ignore list have put themselves forward today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not the right way to go about changing someone's viewpoint, is it? :shrug:

Instead of 'outrage' and vicious retaliation, why can't people just say 'You're wrong pal. This is why you're wrong - because.. "

That's the trouble these days. We get spoon fed a viewpoint then whipped up into such a frenzy that if anyone dare counter it they end up being hung, drawn and quartered with some kind of mob mentality. I was being driven (in a very slow moving traffic jam) in a left hand drive car at the time the huge media thing was on about being on the phone whilst driving. I was on the phone in the passenger seat (which in the UK is the drivers seat, of course) and some old geezer almost had a coronary thrombosis waving his arms around, effing this and effing that, making cut throat gestures and w**k*r signs, making phone call gestures, spittle flicking from his gritted teeth in a blind fury.

I pointed to the empty dashboard in front of me and changed his tune, but you'd have thought I was beheading a kitten with a pen knife the way he was acting. He was 'outraged' on behalf of the wider world, clearly. I will state again that the car never got above a slow walking pace.

All I'm saying is that instead of shooting the OP between the eyes, just educate him? If he's not prepared to listen, or doesn't want to know, then maybe he can then be adjudged a tosser - but at least give him the chance first.....

You know we see eye to eye but to not pour a metaphorical bucket of cold piss over the head of some posters on this thread would be a dereliction of duty.

I can understand ignorance. But if a person 'doesn't know' anything about an issue that is all over the media, why start a provocative thread about it? If you don't know, and you care enough about something, ask some questions, don't start out with a firm position. That is simply idiotic. You can't 'educate' people whose stance is one of derision.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.

Actually - Something just struck me about your post. The part I have highlighted.

There are some negative responses directed towards your overall post; however, I have a question about this part of your post

'' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression. ''

Does this part relate to yourself or someone close to you but you can't bring yourself to talk about it in another way but you are looking to find mass support for people with Mental Health issues in a round about way ?

If so then by all means find support on here but if it truly is affecting you or someone close to you - Please seek professional help. It is widely available in many forms

This is just a thought - I don't know you but sometime people try to reach out in many different ways

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I should leave the thread now as each comment you make is more and more embarrassing. So by your logic anyone who has a few pounds saved up will be immune from depression following the loss of a close loved one as an example. :facepalm:

I see the OP just kept digging after his spade struck concrete. So I have no regrets putting him on ignore. Maybe he's smarter when he's sober.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're the sort of person who can watch an episode of Poirot and still be baffled after the denoument, aren't you.

Well done you for not taking drugs. Never exceeded the speed limit either I'll wager. :facepalm:

A few new candidates for my ignore list have put themselves forward today.

Although on this particular subject, I will always want to read the ignorant posts of the last remaining dinosaurs, to then argue the decent and opposing view.

I hope you do the same, your support is invaluable.

p.s. too late!!!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here