Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Well to me it looked like Andone was trying to swivel on the ball but missed it and caught his man. Seemed like a complete accident, although still a red card no question.

I think in general our passing and possession play and movement has been first class at times. Some beautiful football. Add that to how we played Vs WestHam and Watford, and I'm pretty delighted, regardless of the odd mistake/bad luck etc.

Just hope we can keep on top of this game in the second half and get the 3 points I would say we very much deserve.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If Burn was offside did the lino flag?

He should have done.

The default position should have been no goal, subject to review.

The lino and the ref have to do their job.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The VAR goal? BLATANT offside.

If it was possible to be offside direct from a corner, every team would defend by wandering up towards the half way line; any forward then attacking the corner would be offside. There would be no point having a corner, because the only outcomes would be 1). the 'keeper collecting the ball or 2) a free kick for offside to the defending team.

By definition, the ball is passed back from a corner kick. Ifs the corner goes straight to Dunk, he is not offside; if he heads it on to Duffy, Duffy potentially can be.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Typical idiot match day comments here.

Stone wall red. Horrific tackle. At least we all agree on that.

The VAR goal? BLATANT offside - and foul! The corner comes in, Dunk heads towards goal, Burn is backing into the goalkeeper, both offside and obstructing him.

Embarrassing booing Valery for nearly having his leg broken. Embarrassing clapping off Andone for being a hothead and potentially costing us the game.

That all may be true (I assume you’re watching on a stream?) but it’s part of football and a bit of fun. If JWP makes another foul the crowd have a part to play - and must give Friend as much stock as possible in the hope he’ll favour us - that’s football. It’s a bit of fun not embarrassing.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I think it was Dunk that played little pea on side last week

No that is what was reported but it was clearly Burn. Look at the game on iPlayer (1:19:21 to be exact). Burn is two yards deeper than Dunk, probably to compensate for his lack of mobility.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If it was possible to be offside direct from a corner, every team would defend by wandering up towards the half way line; any forward then attacking the corner would be offside. There would be no point having a corner, because the only outcomes would be 1). the 'keeper collecting the ball or 2) a free kick for offside to the defending team.

By definition, the ball is passed back from a corner kick. Ifs the corner goes straight to Dunk, he is not offside; if he heads it on to Duffy, Duffy potentially can be.

Rubbish - 3) they take the corner trying to pick out an ‘attacker in their own half’ but the ‘defending team’ (all in their offensive half) latch onto it and score!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well to me it looked like Andone was trying to swivel on the ball but missed it can caught his man. Seemed like a complete accident, although still a red card no question.

I think in general our passing and possession play and movement has been first class at times. Some beautiful football. Add that to how we played Vs WestHam and Watford, and I'm pretty delighted, regardless of the odd mistake/bad luck etc.

Just hope we can keep on top of this game in the second half and get the 3 points I would say we very much deserve.

Watch it again, please. He took a bit touch, has a rush of blood in frustration, went over the top with studs up with an angry “I’m gonna do him here” expression on his face, and planted his studs hard and over the ball into Valery’s shin. The most blatant red since Knockaert launched himself two footed at the Cardiff player. (Some on here tried to claim with a straight face that he slipped)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't know where to start with that first half.

I guess I should start with Andone. WTF was he doing?! Awful tackle.

I'm done with VAR. It's shit. Or maybe it's not shit, maybe it's just highlighting how shit the rules are. We get a goal disallowed because the saints keeper is a fanny and can't stand up?!

I enjoyed the first 30 minutes of the half, we played some good, positive, high paced football. The last 15 minutes I was getting more and more pissed off thanks to Andone and VAR. The second half will teach us a lot about Potter. How will we set up, what will we change to get through another 45 minutes with a man down. Will we go defensive or will we still go out attacking?

I really, really hope we don't lose to a spawny southampton team who were second best 11v 11 and needed a dodgy decision to keep them level at half time.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If Burn was offside did the lino flag?

He should have done.

The default position should have been no goal, subject to review.

The lino and the ref have to do their job.

They now have the option to abdicate this:(

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
The header is from Montoya and it's narrowly wide. Narrowly wide. Narrowly wide?
The header is from Montoya and it's narrowly wide. Narrowly wide. Dunk.
Seagulls Trekkin' across the premier League,
At the amex stadium under Captain potter

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Well to me it looked like Andone was trying to swivel on the ball but missed it can caught his man. Seemed like a complete accident, although still a red card no question.

Winning this would be amazing, but I'm no longer very optimistic. We've had one of the most forgiving starts, and even after City our next two look ok, so we could do with getting some points on the board

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I don't know where to start with that first half.

I guess I should start with Andone. WTF was he doing?! Awful tackle.

I'm done with VAR. It's shit. Or maybe it's not shit, maybe it's just highlighting how shit the rules are. We get a goal disallowed because the saints keeper is a fanny and can't stand up?!

I enjoyed the first 30 minutes of the half, we played some good, positive, high paced football. The last 15 minutes I was getting more and more pissed off thanks to Andone and VAR. The second half will teach us a lot about Potter. How will we set up, what will we change to get through another 45 minutes with a man down. Will we go defensive or will we still go out attacking?

I really, really hope we don't lose to a spawny southampton team who were second best 11v 11 and needed a dodgy decision to keep them level at half time.

No, it was offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here