Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Second Ashes Test - Lord's 14th-18th August 2019

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know I haven't lived in the UK since 2002, but Test Matches always used to start on a Thursday. Since when have they been scheduled to start on a Wednesday?

In the period where Test cricket was in the doldrums, they wanted to take every chance to maximise ticket sales. Day 1 of a Test, plus the Saturday and Sunday (if no rest day) where the easiest to shift. If they started late in the week, there was limited chance off an early finish meaning dishing out loads of costly refunds on those Sunday tickets.

Nowadays with every day of an Ashes Test sold out regardless, they can start when they like.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We must bat if we win the toss make the most of the best batting conditions today, spinning pitch possibly batting last against Lyon, no thanks!

Weather forecast looks to be fine today, fine tomorrow till 3/4 (will they use some brains and start play early? Probably not) Saturday and Sunday look relatively ok with a few showers about

I was following cricinfo yesterday for updates and somebody posed the "starting early" question, and the response was an emphatic no, that never happens in England. No idea why not :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1161921655494598656[/TWEET]

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
In the period where Test cricket was in the doldrums, they wanted to take every chance to maximise ticket sales. Day 1 of a Test, plus the Saturday and Sunday (if no rest day) where the easiest to shift. If they started late in the week, there was limited chance off an early finish meaning dishing out loads of costly refunds on those Sunday tickets.

Nowadays with every day of an Ashes Test sold out regardless, they can start when they like.

They also have to cram 5 games into about 6 weeks.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Makes you wonder what to do if we win the toss?

I’d have a bowl and try and skittle them cheaply on a wicket that’s been under covers for a day. It’s the only way England have a chance of winning and even if they bat big the weather should save us.

We must bat if we win the toss make the most of the best batting conditions today, spinning pitch possibly batting last against Lyon, no thanks!

Weather forecast looks to be fine today, fine tomorrow till 3/4 (will they use some brains and start play early? Probably not) Saturday and Sunday look relatively ok with a few showers about

:lolol:

This is why I love test cricket, there really are so many options and intricacies. Hopefully one of us will be right and England will bounce back :thumbsup:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Don’t understand why the Toss couldn’t have been at 10 and game started at half 10, if you’ve lost a days play surely you should be looking to make up time wherever is possible.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Australia win the toss and BOWL first, very surprised by that... both captains wanted to bowl.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Pitch looks good to me, best batting conditions will be today. Strange decision for me, perhaps the fact that the last 2 tests at lords the two teams batting first have been out for 100 odd?

Hazlewood will go well on this track, dangerous bowler at Lords

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England: 1 Rory Burns, 2 Jason Roy, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Joe Denly, 5 Jos Buttler, 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Jofra Archer, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 Jack Leach

Australia: 1 David Warner, 2 Cameron Bancroft, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Steven Smith, 5 Travis Head, 6 Matthew Wade, 7 Tim Paine (capt & wk), 8 Pat Cummins, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 Josh Hazlewood, 11 Nathan Lyon

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I must admit , I like the way Steve Smith allows Paine to pretend to be Aussie Captain at the toss. At what stage does he decide to take over, first bowl? leaving the changing room?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Why wouldn't you bat first given the weather forecast plus knowing Lyon would be bowling to England in the 4th Innings of a supposed turning wicket?

Hope it goes as well for the Convicts as Brum in 2005!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Aussies will be bowling because there is still dodgy weather in the four days. They think they've got us on the rack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here