Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] I guess it’s impossible for him to buy out his contract, otherwise surely they’d all do that, and somehow get a similar signing on fee from the new club. Not that there would have been any collusion etc. Of course not.

That would mean Palace get nothing, which would be disastrous - the only reason Wilf is paid so much is because they’ve protected their investment with a decent term on the contract.

What I still find ironic is that Wilf is allegedly furious that they are blocking him, yet he hasn’t formally put in a transfer request. I don’t understand this, if there is no penalty for him doing so (except fans getting pissed)

He would lose the singing on fee if he requests the move.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Surely he's not worth a £100m, it's bonkers!

A) Don’t read too much into the gutter press - they love to exaggerate
B) If he does go for £60mil / £70mil plus 2 no hopers, his fee is £60mil/£70mil. Don’t let the twats tell you otherwise :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Eh? A signing on fee would be between him and the new club. Wouldn't it make sense for anything he loses to be between him and Palace, based on his contract. eg, a percentage of the sale price.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Didn't Stephens put in a transfer request 24 hours before the window shut? We made him stay but luckily he had the right attitude about it and we didn't give him any grief as we could see he knuckled down.
So Palace will probably refuse the transfer request and make him stay. Thing is, will Palace fans forgive him and will he put the effort in? I'm not sure about that based on the vitriolic against him!

Yes. Similar situation, but rather different lads.....also Stevens may well have been pining for icky thump and rain, whereas haha is merely pining for a bigger stage. Sometimes it takes a while to get accustomed to The South.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eh? A signing on fee would be between him and the new club. Wouldn't it make sense for anything he loses to be between him and Palace, based on his contract. eg, a percentage of the sale price.

There is some sort of money loss associated with a transfer with versus without the player's transfer request. I don't knw the details. That's your forte. :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I think it means the scum won’t have to pay him a ‘loyalty bonus’ - if it’s in the contract he has of course.

Edit - actually, perhaps that is a myth. A good post here if true innit - if a player has a higher contract at new club there is no ‘bonus’ - https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/155673-paying-up-contracts/

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Probably a moot point as he wont be fully match fit anyway.

Suppose he could always come off the bench for Everton to hurl himself against a Palace defender's leg in the last minute......and put away the penalty.

That would be fun.

Yep!:thumbsup:
A dive in the penalty area for the winning goal? Sweet.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Scenes on 5Live. Nice little session detailing the malaise hanging over the club. Even the captain saying he doesn't feel he can say what he feels about the current set up. Sounds like things are falling apart.

We've spent two decades hauling that lot back in. It's time to finish above them and put them back in their box.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Scenes on 5Live. Nice little session detailing the malaise hanging over the club. Even the captain saying he doesn't feel he can say what he feels about the current set up. Sounds like things are falling apart.

We've spent two decades hauling that lot back in. It's time to finish above them and put them back in their box.

Superb timing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

:thumbsup: yep, the time is nigh

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Ahhhhhhhh I will see it when I believe it ..... For years and years and years those animals have always been on the verge of disaster and yet they ALWAYS claw their way out of it.

We can all pray.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Meanwhile in La la land......

BREAKING: Crystal Palace yesterday rejected a £70million, plus two players, bid from Everton for Wilfried Zaha. Palace have indicated they want north of £80m for their star asset.

Odd. Isn't that the offer they denied making last week?

VAR will be the biggest problem that Zaha faces this year, club aside

I watched 'the debate' last night where they spent the whole show discussing VAR and how the premier league will implement it, how it differs to previous iterations etc. Felt very much like the basic is the same - it is mainly there for factual errors (offside, however tight the decision; in or outside the box etc). When it comes to more subjective decisions the VAR ref isn't judging the challenge, he's judging whether the footage appears to show what the ref thought he saw - the ref is supposed to explain his decision to the video official who looks at the video and if he can see what the ref is saying (i.e. not whether he agrees, and anyone who watches Dermot Gallacher on SSN on a monday morning knows how easy refs find it to 'see why he's given it' when it's a decision that all the players and pundits are saying shouldn't be given).

People who dive a lot are pretty good at making contact, hanging a leg out, etc. This includes Zaha. Where we might look at a situation and say 'clear dive - he's deliberately hung his leg out' the ref will be telling the video official 'It looked to me like the keeper caught his leg...', the video official will look at the video and see contact between the leg and the defender and say 'I can see why you've given that', and the decision will stand.

I think people are going to be frustrated in much the same way they have been with its implementation so far. Narrow offsides given, fouls you don't think are fouls not being overturned, etc. We've seen two seasons ago when they brought in the ability to retrospectively punish players for diving how infrequently they used that power. The incident with Zaha that former players, former refs, etc all called a blatant dive, it fooled the ref, it gave them a penalty v Man City in the dying moments when 0-0, all ticking the required boxes. Yet he went unpunished.

I think we're more likely to see him get more fouls, because it'll catch the ones he should have been given but wasn't, while his diving continues to go mostly unpunished (and not just his diving, but other players' diving as well)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Didn't Stephens put in a transfer request 24 hours before the window shut? We made him stay but luckily he had the right attitude about it and we didn't give him any grief as we could see he knuckled down.
So Palace will probably refuse the transfer request and make him stay. Thing is, will Palace fans forgive him and will he put the effort in? I'm not sure about that based on the vitriolic against him!

Thought Stephens merely indicated he'd like to leave rather than put in a formal transfer request.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We're unchanged in the 'relegation' market, a smidge under 2/1.

palace have now dropped a point down to 4/1.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
A) Don’t read too much into the gutter press - they love to exaggerate
B) If he does go for £60mil / £70mil plus 2 no hopers, his fee is £60mil/£70mil. Don’t let the twats tell you otherwise :lol:

you do understand maths I hope? £60/70m plus one at say £5m and another at £10m is not £60/70m right?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some lovely fans palace have:

Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 19.57.02.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A good post here if true innit - if a player has a higher contract at new club there is no ‘bonus’ - https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/155673-paying-up-contracts/
I don't think that's right. New clubs rarely buy a player and then pay them less than they were on.

I think some players have loyalty bonuses as part of their contract.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...g-a-transfer-request-fourfourtwo-investigates
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/how-transfer-requests-work-football

It can be called a 'signing on bonus', as it's when they player signed his contract with his existing club. He may get a bonus spread over the course of the contract, and in the event he's sold (without a transfer request) he'd get what's left of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here