Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So are we going to make another first team signing?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I asked this on another thread earlier and someone indicated he’s back in training and will return after the international break.

I thought that answer intimated he would be back training after the international break.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I don’t see the need for another right back especially as wingback seems perfectly suited to Schelotto’s strengths.

What strengths? I thought he was useless and a libility in the Championship. Transfermarket (yes I know) value him at £2.7m. Montoya is £7.2m.

As GP wouldn't have seen him train yet, I seriously hope he is not plan B.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Think we still need a RB/RWB, but BO seems to think we're not looking for one.

So, we're done, I think, unless someone is stringing BO along.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Would love a more creative CM. Then am happy with our lot. After losing Knockaert, Bruno, Rosenior, Hughton I never thought my BHA mojo would be as high as it is now without this extra CM addition. So happy. For the record I genuinely think Schellotto can be really good when played to his preffered strengths which look like RWB. In a flat back 4 or right wing he was no good. I know the 4.0 defeat by Chelsea didn't sound good but thought this result really flattered them we played really well in the game and Schellotto was amazing whilst winning motm. See no reason why that cannot be done again under a different manager that will suit his style

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very valid point re the midfielders - I like that way of thinking. But as above, who’s the other RB? We’ve not seen Webster play there and Bernardo is a LB. our only RB / RWB is Montoya and he’s good RB but jury out RWB - I guess Potter bows best but I’m worried....!

Who's the other RB/RWB? I don't know, haven't a clue - but maybe the recruitment team and Potter with his courtege of professional football people know. Could be:
Bernardo? - looked shite at RB at Watford last year, but a good player, and has played there before (and tbf the whole team was pretty shite at Watford last year);
Schelotto? - once fit; always looked more RWB than RB;
Balogun? - always looks to have a serious mistake per game in him, but an experienced defender;
March? - with Bernardo at LWB;
Webster? - lots of young defenders start at full back, and move infield when they slow up a bit; Webster is young;
Sanders? - Potter wouldn't have tried him there if he hadn't seen something worth looking at;
The next youngster on the step up from the U23s? - might turn out to be brilliant!

One way or another - it's covered.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
CM is my concern too. Maybe a loan. Then all good.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What do people think?

Most wanted another CM (maybe with pace / attack minded) and a RB or RWB (although Owen has said it’s not an area we’re actively seeking)

Do you think we’ll sign anyone else? Would be nice to have a surprise in deadline day and pull something out the bag - maybe a loan of a well known CM..?

No idea about that, but you were literally a "keyboard warrior" today.

:thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No idea about that, but you were literally a "keyboard warrior" today.

:thumbsup:

Ha anytime bud - thanks for the card - I’ll try find good home for it :thumbsup:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
We’ve not seen Webster and he looks more a CB - as is Balogun. Greyhound is properly injured. If we play the 3-4-3 system it needs to be a RWB which I’m pretty sure none of the above can play adequately, bar Greyhound who’s crocked. We haven’t replaced Bruno and that’s a worry as any injury to Montoya could leave us in trouble..

Agree with this - if there were to be a season-ending injury at Watford for one of our players, I think there are two positions which would be seriously worrisome. RWB would be one. I think we may have cover for right back with Balogun and Webster but we’d be seriously compromised if we were playing with a back three. The other position would be one that we are definitely not looking to recruit (as far as I’m aware) and that is GK. I rate Ryan highly but I think we are a long way from having a Premier League quality back-up. In terms of depth of squad, it is actually this position that worries me the most...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also why would we sign another striker?
Well we were after Youssef En-Nesyri. It might be that we only intended to get either him or Maupay, or maybe we were looking for two strikers :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Aha - this is where you need to remember what you’ve written on here before Mr Wedgee - as 2 days ago (before the Moroccan lad fell through coincidently) you wrote:
:lol: You giving out lessons now on how to appear ITK?

Lesson 1: Remember the shit you made up in the last few days

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I know we'd all like a game changing/dominating midfielder but they cost money and we've already spent 60m this summer. I'm not sure we're going to be spending significantly more.

I'm also not convinced it's as essential as it was last year. Potter's formation doesn't appear to leave a solitary striker stranded 40 yards from everyone else. I'd be delighted if we did sign a midfield beast but I think it's a position that is no longer on red alert. I'm willing to reappraise this opinion a few games in!

As for RWB/RB it would seem a more pressing position with us only having one RB in the squad. Maybe Potter's thinking is Bernardo or March can play there too, or like with March on the left, he will convert a winger to the position. Of the players linked Tavernier seems a good, affordable option. Admittedly, having never seen him play, I'm basing that off his stats which even for the Scottish league look very impressive.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Would have liked an attacking central midfielder like many on here, and possibly further cover at right back but with only a day and a half of the window left, don't want to see us make a rash rushed last minute signing. There are many decent signings made late in the day, but I just worry we could get it horribly wrong if a panic signing comes in at the last moment.

Happy enough to go with what we've got.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I know we'd all like a game changing/dominating midfielder but they cost money and we've already spent 60m this summer. I'm not sure we're going to be spending significantly more.

I'm also not convinced it's as essential as it was last year. Potter's formation doesn't appear to leave a solitary striker stranded 40 yards from everyone else. I'd be delighted if we did sign a midfield beast but I think it's a position that is no longer on red alert. I'm willing to reappraise this opinion a few games in!

As for RWB/RB it would seem a more pressing position with us only having one RB in the squad. Maybe Potter's thinking is Bernardo or March can play there too, or like with March on the left, he will convert a winger to the position. Of the players linked Tavernier seems a good, affordable option. Admittedly, having never seen him play, I'm basing that off his stats which even for the Scottish league look very impressive.

Spot on. Really don’t understand the RB is not a priority thought passed on by BO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If we're going to be serious about blooding some of the u23's then we shouldn't go filling the squad with ageing reserve types

Which, again, would argue against signing a CM, but would not stop as signing a RB since, there isn’t even a promising one coming through from the U23’s that I’m aware of... happy to be corrected...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I heard pundits say that Potter likes to attack down the flanks. It could be the case that Pröpper & Stephens are not required to get in the box anymore than last year, but are given instructions to get the ball the wings a lot quicker then cover the space defensively as the rest of the attacking players try and score.
Certainly we are very very well stocked at CM from an U23 perspective so I’d be shocked if more bodies are bought in.

I do think we’ll sign an U23 RB RWB for big money though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here