Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis freestone signs U23

Agree. I'm sick of these U-23 signings - "one's for the future" - when we need some 'Premier ready' first-team players.

We sign them, loan them out to a lower league club for a year or two, and then release them.

We signed Richie Towell (actually 24 at the time) four years ago: he played one league game for us, spent two seasons on loan at Rotherham, and has recently signed for Salford City. What was the point?
Perhaps because he didn't make the grade?
Look, if we 'waste' money signing and training a dozen such players, then this will be more than compensated for by the one in 13 who does break through as a full professional footballer. And of those who do break through, every chance that one will be worth millions of pounds at some point in the future.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Agree. I'm sick of these U-23 signings - "one's for the future" - when we need some 'Premier ready' first-team players.

We sign them, loan them out to a lower league club for a year or two, and then release them.

We signed Richie Towell (actually 24 at the time) four years ago: he played one league game for us, spent two seasons on loan at Rotherham, and has recently signed for Salford City. What was the point?

Although marginally better, perhaps, than signing foreign players who we can't obtain work permits for, so have to loan-out overseas for a year or two - are Tau or MacAllister ever going to play in the blue-and-white stripes at the Amex? I very much doubt it.
Not only that we employ a man whos job is to look after all these players sent out on loan
Just to expand the ever increasing backroom staff

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ed-brighton-development-manager-1-4765990/amp

dearest

Jul 13, 2019
It's not unusual or new for clubs to sign lots of young players in the hope they will develop into something worthwhile. They're just low risk punts, makes sense to me.

I'm sure it's always happened, just in this day and age social media managers will look for anything they can post to generate more clicks.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Absolutely fantastic signing. We are a club of action in the transfer market constantly looking for potential stars to enhance our already successful first team squad.

Our track record is second to none in this area and I fully expect us to become the byword for youth development in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Name one!!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Dunk and March remain the only two who have made it to the first team, and they were from our Withdean years. I get the Chelsea model of buying and selling players who never get a sniff of holding a place in the first team as a business model but I have absolutely no interest in any Albion team apart from the first team. :shrug:

The academy is unlikely to bring through first teamers now we are Premier League imo but if it makes money for the club I guess it has a place. Excuse me for not being that interested though :smile:

Wrong. The academy should 'bring through' or develop a premiership quality player. Otherwise it's failing. Southampton fed the arse with Walcott . . . . . I'm sure their are other examples. Our facilities should start to pay dividends in the next year or two . . . . Fingers crossed!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Absolutely fantastic signing. We are a club of action in the transfer market constantly looking for potential stars to enhance our already successful first team squad.

Our track record is second to none in this area and I fully expect us to become the byword for youth development in the future.

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Crodo has hacked your account I see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here