Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Huddersfield kit

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The money Huddersfield get from PP will be less money the new chairman has to pay out of his own pocket. I'm sure most of the pant wetters wouldn't be quite so principled if it was their own money bankrolling the club!

At the same time - if that was the real kit, it would've then backfired as they'd sell about 4 shirts. I wonder if some fans will still have a bad taste about PP when the real designs and released, and still chose to abstain.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At the same time - if that was the real kit, it would've then backfired as they'd sell about 4 shirts. I wonder if some fans will still have a bad taste about PP when the real designs and released, and still chose to abstain.

It's obviously just a joke though, it was never going to be the real kit. PP have probably appealed to their target market enough to make it worth while. The type of people who buy kits will still buy the real kit regardless.

Nobody else really matters in this situation, all the people moaning will forget about it by next week and PP will already be thinking of their next marketing stunt.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
It's obviously just a joke though, it was never going to be the real kit. PP have probably appealed to their target market enough to make it worth while. The type of people who buy kits will still buy the real kit regardless.

Nobody else really matters in this situation, all the people moaning will forget about it by next week and PP will already be thinking of their next marketing stunt.

Huds now DOOMED to forever having the piss taken out of them with sash pic comments from now until eternity

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not really...doesn’t matter in the overall scheme of things.

It brought town publicity, it brought paddy power publicity.

Football teams are out to fleece their customers and are a business and a lot on here are happy that football is a business.

Let’s face it, we wore a pink chewitts kit for a season and sent out a goalkeeper at Leland road with a pink top....

The Albion had no choice about the keeper's top, as the referee ordered us to change it at half time, saying the yellow one was a colour clash.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/15...nk-shirt-at-elland-road-broke-the-albion-ice/

Yes - maybe. BUT - we had a pink shirt in the kit bag!!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I don’t understand why people think it’s a joke. They played in the kit in a friendly last night and have been contacted by the FA for potential breach of the rules.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I don’t understand why people think it’s a joke. They played in the kit in a friendly last night and have been contacted by the FA for potential breach of the rules.

It's not a joke, as such. It's a marketing stunt. That's what Paddy Power do.

They've produced a handful of shirts with an intentionally OTT design which specific FA rules don't allow.

Huddersfield and Umbro obviously in on it. God knows why they'd agree to it.

Expect a real shirt to be unveiled on Saturday.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Not a joke, but a disruptive marketing stunt. Huddersfield getting on the back pages etc... for a few weeks.

Clever.....

[tweet]1151804236080005120[/tweet]

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There is a theory doing the rounds that Paddy Power are against gambling companies advertising on football shirts and have done this to start a debate.

Or put it another way, Paddy Power want to put across an "ethical image" (which will come in a bit) after they have grabbed your attention.

They are taking the piss out of their own industry.

More twists and turns to come I think. Watch this space.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The real issue is why in a game that is drowning in ££, largely targeted at children is shirt sponsorship so lightly regulated and the ubiquity of gambling embraced. Most clubs on the champ/prem have gambling sponsors
Not this clever stunt.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Paddy Power have pulled a master stroke here. They had a weeks worth of stories in paper [on here alone 7500 people have read this thread] . After all that they will not put their brand on the shirt which would create talking points all season from various fans.

Last thing to do would be auction off the 'sash' shirts and split the money between local Huddersfield charities / gambling anonymous.

Their marketing department are excellent at generating brand awareness / PR.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Whilst I hate the (often oversized) gambling company logos on the shirts (and it does seem to be gambling companies that go for large logos), isn't it one of the key revenue streams for a club? I can't see any company (gambling or otherwise) being a shirt sponsor if it just lurks somewhere in the programme that they perform that role. Thus, the money (which some clubs do depend on) then goes. Maybe the logo size should get dramatically reduced, and sit beneath the badge (for example, on the Brighton training jackets the Amex logo is very small and in this position)?

Having said that, should TB ever decide to take over shirt sponsorship his lizard logo (with no text) could be interesting!

Paddy Power have had a short term win with this publicity stunt, but over the course of the season how many people watching will remember, or would have even known in the first case? Hope it was worth it for them!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here